Page 928 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 4288288789189269279289299309389781028 ... LastLast
Results 18,541 to 18,560 of 22982

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Best effort I've seen from Dez in a long time on that play

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Yet another ridiculous rule costs the Lions. Getting tired of it.

(yes, it was ruled correctly... but what a stupid rule to not allow us to have a play bc the refs made a mistake)

I guess we can add this to the Cowboys playoff game, the Calvin rule, the Rodgers hail mary after the phantom penalty, and the illegal batting that wasn't called against Seattle.

Just add it to the list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

(yes, it was ruled correctly... but what a stupid rule to not allow us to have a play bc the refs made a mistake)

I guess we can add this to the Cowboys playoff game, the Calvin rule, the Rodgers hail mary after the phantom penalty, and the illegal batting that wasn't called against Seattle.

Just add it to the list
    Of course, if you don't allow the runoff, then you end up screwing the Falcons because you give the Lions a free play without having to worry about the play clock. Effectively, that could give them two potential plays at the goal line if they got a quick incompletion. But, I guess you don't care about that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts

Just add it to the list
    How would you have legislated that differently?

I feel like a 10 second run off is a pretty fair compromise.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Hernandez probably has been playing football since he was a child. They say playing before the age of 12 is incredibly bad and can cause CTE very young. not saying that correlation equals causation. But there's a very real chance the 2 worked together resplendently.
    There's also reports that say playing football beforeb age 12 is perfectly safe. They were just talking about this ov Mike and Mikeep in the morning.

The man was a monster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    It's also worth pointing out that his committed murder was planned out and performed execution style, iirc. That's not typical of CTE violence. He didn't snap and kill someone. I think he was just a crazy dude raised in a crazy environment.
    Yep.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Not to turn this into another political thread, but I've now had two friends abandon their teams. One, a Patriots fan, left because of Brady's and Belichick's previous support of/friendship with Trump. The other, a Cowboys fan, has abandoned ship because Jerry took a knee last night.

I've started a new recruiting tactic for the Falcons train.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesnumberone For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (09-26-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Not to turn this into another political thread, but I've now had two friends abandon their teams. One, a Patriots fan, left because of Brady's and Belichick's previous support of/friendship with Trump. The other, a Cowboys fan, has abandoned ship because Jerry took a knee last night.

I've started a new recruiting tactic for the Falcons train.
    if someone has a problem with what the cowboys did, they just want to be mad at something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

Just add it to the list
    Hey as a Falcons fan, I hear you but I think that was done correctly.

Not sure how to fix it that would be fair, but it is what it is right now.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Of course, if you don't allow the runoff, then you end up screwing the Falcons because you give the Lions a free play without having to worry about the play clock. Effectively, that could give them two potential plays at the goal line if they got a quick incompletion. But, I guess you don't care about that.
    The Lions didn't do.anything wrong
    The officials made the wrong call on the field which cost the Lions another play.

I'm not blaming the Falcons, they didn't do anything wrong either. But how do we lose a play simply bc the refs made a wrong call? The spirit of that rule is to stop us from committing a penalty or faking an injury... That didn't happen

All that happened was the refS made the wrong call, and so we lose a play bc they had to fix it.

That's just BS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    How would you have legislated that differently?

I feel like a 10 second run off is a pretty fair compromise.
    It's not a fair compromise bc we didn't cause the clock to stop. It doesn't take 10 seconds to snap a play.

The rule was called correctly but it's a bad rule.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    It's not a fair compromise bc we didn't cause the clock to stop. It doesn't take 10 seconds to snap a play.

The rule was called correctly but it's a bad rule.
    Seems to me the only way to protect against this situation is to not allow replay, which isn't smart for obvious reasons (and would have resulted in an incorrect ruling on the field in this game).

It's certainly not fair to the Falcons if Detroit gets to have the clock stopped to run a set play when it's possible (likely?) they wouldn't have been able to run a last play. And if you did get to run a play it would have been a low percentage play.

The Lions did get screwed, but I don't think it was something that could have been legislated any better than it was.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (09-26-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    And while we are on the topic of the Lions being screwed, I would like to see the overwhelming evidence that Trufant actually held the receiver on the Stafford interception on the final drive that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    And while we are on the topic of the Lions being screwed, I would like to see the overwhelming evidence that Trufant actually held the receiver on the Stafford interception on the final drive that.
    And was it catchable? There was a penalty at the end that clearly went way out of bounds and it stood anyway.

And fwiw, because there was 8 or less seconds ticking down, no they likely would not have been able to run a play at all that wouldn't have resulted in a penalty for not lining up correctly.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The Lions didn't do.anything wrong
    The officials made the wrong call on the field which cost the Lions another play.

I'm not blaming the Falcons, they didn't do anything wrong either. But how do we lose a play simply bc the refs made a wrong call? The spirit of that rule is to stop us from committing a penalty or faking an injury... That didn't happen

All that happened was the refS made the wrong call, and so we lose a play bc they had to fix it.

That's just BS
    While obviously there was a chance, it was rather unlikely the Lions get everyone up to the line and set in 8 seconds. It was the right decision. And it was an extremely close play. I don't see how you're faulting the refs on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    And was it catchable? There was a penalty at the end that clearly went way out of bounds and it stood anyway.

And fwiw, because there was 8 or less seconds ticking down, no they likely would not have been able to run a play at all that wouldn't have resulted in a penalty for not lining up correctly.
    Last year, the Lions traveled 27 yards and got a play off in 7 seconds against Minnesota.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    While obviously there was a chance, it was rather unlikely the Lions get everyone up to the line and set in 8 seconds. It was the right decision. And it was an extremely close play. I don't see how you're faulting the refs on this one.
    I'm not faulting the refs. I'm faulting the rule.

The rule is designed to punish a team for committing a penalty or faking an injury in order to stop the clock.

In this situation, the clock was stopped ONLY because the refs missed the call.

I'm not blaming the refs for missing the call, I'm blaming the rule that says we can't run a play BECAUSE they missed the call.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    I'm not faulting the refs. I'm faulting the rule.

The rule is designed to punish a team for committing a penalty or faking an injury in order to stop the clock.

In this situation, the clock was stopped ONLY because the refs missed the call.

I'm not blaming the refs for missing the call, I'm blaming the rule that says we can't run a play BECAUSE they missed the call.
    You still haven't proposed a fair alternative rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    You still haven't proposed a fair alternative rule.
    You run the clock on the whistle.

The officials did the Falcons a service for reviewing the play. The Lions shouldn't get punished for that, so they need to place the ball down and start the clock on the whistle.

I understand that's not ideal for the Falcons, but it's the fairest thing left to do.

Everyone in the country outside of Georgia agrees with that

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    You run the clock on the whistle.

The officials did the Falcons a service for reviewing the play. The Lions shouldn't get punished for that, so they need to place the ball down and start the clock on the whistle.

I understand that's not ideal for the Falcons, but it's the fairest thing left to do.

Everyone in the country outside of Georgia agrees with that
    So in other words, if the play was called correctly then the Falcons win with a probability much greater than 50/50 (probably over 90%). But since the officials messed up the call, the Lions deserve to draw up a play and bring in new personnel. Tell me how that is any more fair than what happened Sunday

I get that you feel screwed. I wish the call was made correctly so we could have seen if the Lions could have gotten a play in, but if you want to have instant replay then a runoff has to exist. If you want to debate whether that runoff should be 5 or 8 seconds, then I think its a debate worth having.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (09-26-2017)