Page 929 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 4298298799199279289299309319399791029 ... LastLast
Results 18,561 to 18,580 of 22988

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Let me ask you a hypothetical.

Let's say the play was called correctly on the field. Then, the booth decided to do a booth review because it was so close.

And then, the call stands as called.

Is there a runoff? If I understand the rule correctly, there would be.

Would that be fair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    So in other words, if the play was called correctly then the Falcons win with a probability much greater than 50/50 (probably over 90%). But since the officials messed up the call, the Lions deserve to draw up a play and bring in new personnel. Tell me how that is any more fair than what happened Sunday
    Because the way it went down gave the Falcons a 100% win probability.. ergo, less fair than the proposal above

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Let me ask you a hypothetical.

Let's say the play was called correctly on the field. Then, the booth decided to do a booth review because it was so close.

And then, the call stands as called.

Is there a runoff? If I understand the rule correctly, there would be.

Would that be fair?
    I believe there is only a runoff if the call on the field is overturned.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Because the way it went down gave the Falcons a 100% win probability.. ergo, less fair than the proposal above
    Let's say this happened with 1 second left on the clock. Or say the Lions were going 60 yards on a Hail Mary. In that instance they lose 100% of the time.

Just admit there isn't a clean way to regulate these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    I believe there is only a runoff if the call on the field is overturned.
    So would it would be start the clock on whistle situation? That wouldn't be fair to the Falcons.

Bottom line, the rule is flawed in this application

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Let's say this happened with 1 second left on the clock. Or say the Lions were going 60 yards on a Hail Mary. In that instance they lose 100% of the time.

Just admit there isn't a clean way to regulate these things.
    Clean? No. Better? Yes.

The Lions don't deserve to lose the game because the refs got the call wrong initially.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Clean? No. Better? Yes.

The Lions don't deserve to lose the game because the refs got the call wrong initially.
    Apply that last sentence you wrote to either of the two scenarios I suggested above. You don't want fairness, you want your team to win. A runoff minimizes unfairness in the most situations. Of course it isn't perfect, but compromises aren't supposed to be.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    So would it would be start the clock on whistle situation? That wouldn't be fair to the Falcons.

Bottom line, the rule is flawed in this application
    To be honest, I think a runoff should apply in that situation as well. Like I said, if there were three seconds on the clock it wouldn't make sense to give the offense another free possession. It just so happened that the only possible situation where the application of the rule could be considered unfair was this past Sunday. That doesn't itself invalidate the rule.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    To be honest, I think a runoff should apply in that situation as well. Like I said, if there were three seconds on the clock it wouldn't make sense to give the offense another free possession. It just so happened that the only possible situation where the application of the rule could be considered unfair was this past Sunday. That doesn't itself invalidate the rule.
    And that's my point. The application of the rule in this instance is unfair. You being a falcons fan is fine with it. The rest of the NFL agrees that a game simply shouldn't end like that

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    OK you guys help me out here. I only saw the replay a couple of times and wasn't watching the game when it first happened. Didn't the officials say it was a TD the first time through and then "upon further review" said his knee touched before he got into the end zone? Is there more to the story than this (prior to the 10 second runoff)?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    OK you guys help me out here. I only saw the replay a couple of times and wasn't watching the game when it first happened. Didn't the officials say it was a TD the first time through and then "upon further review" said his knee touched before he got into the end zone? Is there more to the story than this (prior to the 10 second runoff)?
    Nope that's it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    And that's my point. The application of the rule in this instance is unfair. You being a falcons fan is fine with it. The rest of the NFL agrees that a game simply shouldn't end like that
    So your point is that the rule is fair in almost every instance except the one from last Sunday? If so, we have agreed all along. Like I said numerous times, the Lions did get screwed. I just don't agree the rule should be changed because of one unfortunate circumstance.

If you think it makes sense to write a sub rule to cover this one instance, then go ahead (not sure how you do it in a way that makes sense), but I think in 99% of the instances the current rule is the best method.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Nope that's it.
    Well it didn't look to me like his knee touched the ground/turf and wasn't the original call TD?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (09-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Well it didn't look to me like his knee touched the ground/turf and wasn't the original call TD?
    There's an argument he didn't actually catch the ball until after his knee came up, but I think most people generally agree that he was down before the goal line.

The entire debate stems from the application of the 10 second runoff rule. Falcons fans like it and Lions fans hate it, go figure.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    There's an argument he didn't actually catch the ball until after his knee came up, but I think most people generally agree that he was down before the goal line.

The entire debate stems from the application of the 10 second runoff rule. Falcons fans like it and Lions fans hate it, go figure.
    My problem with it isn't the 10 second runoff it's whether he had possession and whether his knee touched during or immediately after contact with the Atlanta player. My REAL problem with the NFL right now is that the league office's penis is so tiny you have to have a microscope to see it, therefore they want to change the rules around so that only they can say whether something is or is not a catch. That's BS, they're turning the NFL into the NBA or the WWE where nobody can say what is and is not some sort of violation. That way they can slowly start to determine winners and losers and up the ratings for more $$$. They're just about to cut their own metaphorical throats IMO. I know I haven't seen the replay as many times as you guys but from the couple of times I did see it it looked to me like he did have possession and he did not appear to have been downed by the defense. Just my opinions though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    So your point is that the rule is fair in almost every instance except the one from last Sunday? If so, we have agreed all along. Like I said numerous times, the Lions did get screwed. I just don't agree the rule should be changed because of one unfortunate circumstance.

If you think it makes sense to write a sub rule to cover this one instance, then go ahead (not sure how you do it in a way that makes sense), but I think in 99% of the instances the current rule is the best method.
    Yes - 99% of the time the rule is fine. The spirit of the rule is to cover for an injury or a penalty. NOT an official review of a call on the field. In this (rare) instance, they need to figure something else out... and the only thing I think could make sense is starting the clock on the whistle

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    I don't think he crossed the plane in time.

The rule is what it is. But I would agree with Sturg here that it could easily be amended that the 10 second run off doesn't occur when it's an official stoppage from the refs for a review. The only reason there was stoppage was because the refs got the call wrong the first time.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I don't think he crossed the plane in time.

The rule is what it is. But I would agree with Sturg here that it could easily be amended that the 10 second run off doesn't occur when it's an official stoppage from the refs for a review. The only reason there was stoppage was because the refs got the call wrong the first time.
    OK so this adds another angle to it. What do you mean "crossed the plane in time"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    After celebrating what was likely a TD, and everyone looking around at the refs for confirmation, there is almost zero way they get lined up again and onsides. They thought there was a TD. It wasn't. The refs didn't make the "wrong" call, they made a call that appeared correct on the field. Everyone thought so, but when you slow down the tape, it wasn't as it appeared live. That's human error. They aren't perfect, but got it right upon review.

If you really want to gripe, he has to get in the EZ there before going down. Its the WRs fault, or Staffords. Place the ball better or catch it without falling and its over. End of story.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    My problem with it isn't the 10 second runoff it's whether he had possession and whether his knee touched during or immediately after contact with the Atlanta player. My REAL problem with the NFL right now is that the league office's penis is so tiny you have to have a microscope to see it, therefore they want to change the rules around so that only they can say whether something is or is not a catch. That's BS, they're turning the NFL into the NBA or the WWE where nobody can say what is and is not some sort of violation. That way they can slowly start to determine winners and losers and up the ratings for more $$$. They're just about to cut their own metaphorical throats IMO. I know I haven't seen the replay as many times as you guys but from the couple of times I did see it it looked to me like he did have possession and he did not appear to have been downed by the defense. Just my opinions though.
    Like I said, I think this is a very minority opinion. Basically everyone believes he was down before contact.

If you really are this upset at the NFL for the call, there's quite a few stills that show (1) his knee down, (2) a Falcons player touching him, and (3) the ball not crossing the goal line.