Page 930 of 1150 FirstFirst ... 4308308809209289299309319329409801030 ... LastLast
Results 18,581 to 18,600 of 22985

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

If you really want to gripe, he has to get in the EZ there before going down. Its the WRs fault, or Staffords. Place the ball better or catch it without falling and its over. End of story.
    I could just as easily say the Falcons should do a better job of stopping them to where it doesn't appear so close. End of story.

This isn't a Lions/Falcons issue. It's the fact that there simply shouldn't be a runoff if the officials call for stoppage of play

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Like I said, I think this is a very minority opinion. Basically everyone believes he was down before contact.

If you really are this upset at the NFL for the call, there's quite a few stills that show (1) his knee down, (2) a Falcons player touching him, and (3) the ball not crossing the goal line.
    I would not say that I'm "this upset" about it, it's just that to me this was the main issue, as for rules I don't like in the NFL that would need a forum of its own, not just a thread. ;)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I could just as easily say the Falcons should do a better job of stopping them to where it doesn't appear so close. End of story.

This isn't a Lions/Falcons issue. It's the fact that there simply shouldn't be a runoff if the officials call for stoppage of play
    It was the perfect tackle, if it was obvious, there would not have been a run off!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Let me ask you a hypothetical.

Let's say the play was called correctly on the field. Then, the booth decided to do a booth review because it was so close.

And then, the call stands as called.

Is there a runoff? If I understand the rule correctly, there would be.

Would that be fair?
    What would happen in your scenario would require this to happen. Basically it would require the end of the game to occur because once another play gets off it's no longer review-able. So there would be no runoff because everything on the field would occur as it happened. The booth doesn't just review plays for ****s and giggles.

The runoff exists because would it be fair for Atlanta who stopped detroit in a tackle at the goal line on 4th and 1 and they have under 7 seconds to get on the ball and get a play off. I say under 7 because there was 8 seconds on the clock which could be anywhere from 8.01 to 8.99 and you have to be set in a proper formation for 1 second before the snap. Mind you that the player was tackled with the ball it's going to take him at least 2-3 seconds to get up. It probably takes that same amount of time for the ref to set the ball. You can't kill the clock because it's 4th down. So you have 7 seconds to get up from being tackled, to run to the line in a formation. To get the play out and get everyone set in a legal formation. It's not super likely to happen. It can happen but the 10 second runoff was installed to be fair to the defensive team. Maybe there's an alternative like force the other team to sprint from the other 20 and run a play or something absurd that wouldn't happen. But there's a reason for the rule. The refs and the rules aren't to blame. Stafford had 3 chances to score from the goal line and failed 3 times. One would anticipate he'd probably fail on the the 4th attempt.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

The officials didn't "call for a stoppage of play" the play stopped because the Lions scored a touchdown as it was ruled on the field. If they didn't say the Lions scored then the game would ahve continued and the clock almost certainly runs out before the Lions get off another play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The officials didn't "call for a stoppage of play" the play stopped because the Lions scored a touchdown as it was ruled on the field. If they didn't say the Lions scored then the game would ahve continued and the clock almost certainly runs out before the Lions get off another play.
    I don't agree. Coach Caldwell was adamant that they could have gotten another play off in 8 seconds. If you know anything about Caldwell, he refuses to make excuses (and didn't in this game either)... He was asked if the team could have gotten a play off in 8 seconds, and he said absolutely... they practice it all the time

The Lions were denied another play because the refs made the wrong call on the field. If it wasn't the Falcons, you all would be able to acknowledge this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    It was the perfect tackle, if it was obvious, there would not have been a run off!
    The point I was making was against Tapate's point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I don't agree. Coach Caldwell was adamant that they could have gotten another play off in 8 seconds. If you know anything about Caldwell, he refuses to make excuses (and didn't in this game either)... He was asked if the team could have gotten a play off in 8 seconds, and he said absolutely... they practice it all the time

The Lions were denied another play because the refs made the wrong call on the field. If it wasn't the Falcons, you all would be able to acknowledge this
    Of course he was adament and of course he could pull it off in practice. Practice doesn't factor in time delay from players thinking they scored a touchdown when they didn't. It doesn't factor in the player with the ball fighting for an extra inch or 2 to try and persuade the refs. So on so forth.

You're right to be mad the way the game ended like it did. You lost on a technicality that did take away a slim chance that you could have ran one more play. But is that any more fair than the Lions being able to line up and run a play with 8 seconds calmly which is what you're proposing? They'd have the whole time during the review to call a play and get lined up and then would be able to do something they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise even a little which is come to the line and snap the ball calmly with a second remaining. How would that even remotely be fair?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    The point I was making was against Tapate's point.
    You're being very defensive. This was a light hearted comment.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    OK so this adds another angle to it. What do you mean "crossed the plane in time"?
    I mean I think he was down by contact before he crossed the plane to score the touchdown.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I mean I think he was down by contact before he crossed the plane to score the touchdown.
    Cool then. That was always my main point. I can see both sides of the 10 second runoff thing, but to me it was always mainly "was he in before he hit the turf (after contact) or not?" I also really hate how the NFL has changed the rules so much so that they have to be consulted on just about everything important as far as rulings on the field. Let's face it though, they don't give a crap what I think about anything so....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i think the runoff was necessary, if unfortunate. you can't have the clock stop and then allow them to be in formation before running the next play. if the refs ruled no TD then the lions would've had little time to get to the line. so the refs got the call wrong which led to the runoff. it was an extremely close play and completely understandable to miss that call. even if they initially ruled no TD, it probably would've come under review because of how close it was. in which case the runoff still happens. it's not right to not review that play, regardless of how it was called on the field.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Buffalo's defense is impressive. There's nothing flashy about them, but they don't give up big plays.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    It's that time of year again where I have to concern myself with the Falcons injury report to see just how Questionable Julio is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Buffalo's defense is impressive. There's nothing flashy about them, but they don't give up big plays.
    Yep, they have a good unit. Real good. Hate we lost Sanu & Jones. We were without some key guys too.

What’s with all the drops/deflection ints of late? Our guys hands went ice cold.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Just piss poor coaching at the end. I don't know what it is with these NFL coordinators thinking they can always outsmart everybody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    It wasnt the best series. Couple drops, tried to get cute on 4th. Matt can’t throw that ball away on third either .

Also- we are getting fumble sixes and pick sixed to death.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 10-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    All in all it's an OK loss. Hopefully we get healthy during the bye week.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Yep, they have a good unit. Real good. Hate we lost Sanu & Jones. We were without some key guys too.

What’s with all the drops/deflection ints of late? Our guys hands went ice cold.
    Agreed. Matt has been pretty meh this year, but that's because he can't hit a deep ball, not the interceptions. Three of the five picks were on tip balls which is crazy bad luck.

Questionable fumble call that led to the TD, but we were pretty luck with one of those against GB.

All in all, tough game, but it happens. Looking forward to everyone being back after the bye week hopefully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,740 Posts
    Better enjoy football now. Few years they will be able to diagnose CTE on living players. No doctor is going to clear a player with any level of CTE to continue playing. We could see over half the league retire in one offseason.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.