Page 1142 of 1149 FirstFirst ... 14264210421092113211401141114211431144 ... LastLast
Results 22,821 to 22,840 of 22978

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I think Pratt is gonna be a good one if he gets in the right system

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...iated-contract

Saints keep mortgaging the future to stay under the cap now. Spotrac has the Saints 50M over the cap next year.

Rate they're going they need a miracle draft or they won;t be competitive til 2026.

Not super shocking, this is a team who's probably cutting Taysom Hill Post 6/1 (or at least designating him for that) and if they do they will have paid him since 2021 about 47 million dollars to a gadget player. Which is wild. ANd it was money they didn't have to pay. They could have let him walk and had that money for other players or not restructured as many deals and be set up better for the future.

Last year the Saints could have started the rebuild, would have sucked last year, probably sucked this year, but then should have been out of cap hell or at least close enough to see the other side.

Saints right now are expected to be in cap hell until at least next season, but probably until 2026 if they aren't wise with this off-season.

Uaing SPotrac the saints salary by year is currently at for the next 5 years

274, 332, 230, 92, 16

Obviously cuts will lower a lot of those numbers. Especially if they do the smart thing and next year cut Kamara, Carr, etc. And sell out for a rebuild. If we compare to another team who pushed all their chips in for an aging QB recently (Bucs) you see them at

217, 156, 90, 25, 7

Obviously they don't have a QB that's a huge factor, but they also won't be paying 20+M for mediocre players

Falcons are at
    220, 173, 82, 24 , 19

Even look at the Browns who gave out one of the worst contracts ever to Deshaun Watson aren't in quite as rough of a spot as the Saints (thought they're in a really bad spot)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Browns should really think about drafting Penix if he falls. I don't see how you can trust Watson to not only stay healthy, but also play at the level he did in Houston.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Browns should really think about drafting Penix if he falls. I don't see how you can trust Watson to not only stay healthy, but also play at the level he did in Houston.
    Watson is the ultimate cautionary tale of if a QB wants all their money guaranteed, don't ****ing do it. I mean if Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson doesn't get all guaranteed, don't give it to anyone else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Not sure why you used Lamar as the example there. He's definitely not a QB I am giving all guaranteed contract to. Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the only QBs in the league you would guarantee the full contract to.

Lamar already had issues staying healthy and being consistent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Not sure why you used Lamar as the example there. He's definitely not a QB I am giving all guaranteed contract to. Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are the only QBs in the league you would guarantee the full contract to.

Lamar already had issues staying healthy and being consistent.
    2 MVPs.

That's why you pay Lamar. When he's on the field your team wins. Of course Mahomes is on a different echelon than anyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I think Fields is gonna go to the Browns

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    2 MVPs.

That's why you pay Lamar. When he's on the field your team wins. Of course Mahomes is on a different echelon than anyone else.
    2023 MVP is pretty meh. He got cause it no one else had a remotely great season, not because he was super worthy. He hasn't topped 30 Total TDs since 2020. He's missed a bunch of time over the last 3 years. And he has 2 career playoff wins, including zero appearances in a superbowl. Lamar is great.

He isn't a top 3 QB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    2023 MVP is pretty meh. He got cause it no one else had a remotely great season, not because he was super worthy. He hasn't topped 30 Total TDs since 2020. He's missed a bunch of time over the last 3 years. And he has 2 career playoff wins, including zero appearances in a superbowl. Lamar is great.

He isn't a top 3 QB.
    I think that's a fair assessment overall. I don'tg think he's top 3 either. I just don't think 2/3 of the top 3 is that great either. We aren't in the era of Brady, Manning, and Brees. We're in an era of Mahomes, massive gap, Allen, gap, Burrows, and guys getting hot around them.

I think Lamar is one of the best QBs in the league when he's healthy problem has been health for sure. But it's not shocking that the 2 of the 3 seasons he's been healthy he's been MVP. I know this year wasn't a super convincing MVP because Mahomes had an off year, and no one else really lit it up. Purdy had the rate stats but his 444 attempts were 20th in the NFL behind guys who missed a chunk of games too like Herbert, and behind a guy who didn't start every game in Gardner Minshew. Dak and Purdy were also hurt by teammates. Purdy had McCaffrey who had an MVP shout, Tua had Tyreek who was better than him and Dak had Ceedee who was better than him. Honestly if there was a year there was a chance for a non-QB to win it, Ceedee or McCaffrey had a good shot, I'm still a bit shocked that Ceedee didn't get votes, he had more total yards and scores than Tyreek as well as more catches and rush attempts. He was more involved in Dallas's offense than Tyreek wound up being in Miami's though Tyreek's rates were better (Yards per catch/target etc.) but at some point you are more valuable if you have more catches. I'd rather have someone with 9.7 yards per target and 10 more targets than someone with 10.5 and 10 less, that's essentially up to 10 more first downs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think Fields is gonna go to the Browns
    It makes sense and it doesn't. Their cap situation is bad as they get more guys paid.

Their best case scenario is Deshaun to get injured ofr the year for the cap savings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Looks like Cousins to the falcons is probable.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Cousins officially to Atlanta for 4 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Wow.

Don't hate that. Capable QB play step on up.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Cousins officially to Atlanta for 4 years.
    Let's go. Push the chips in and win. Worst case scenario, we blow it up in 3 years and start over. Best case scenario, we are competitive. With how the Falcons salary cap structure is looking with rookie deals, we have 2-3 years of competition before **** gets expensive,.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Titans actually got my number 1 want in FA, which was Cushenberry. Also, signed Pollard which I am not wild about, but he fits a need. Would rather have signed Singletary for cheaper though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Looks like the Cousin's Contract is basically a 2 year deal with the option to keep going. Maybe it will be 3, but yeah.

Also will be exciting to see what Saquan can do behind the Eagles Line.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Watched Cousins a lot up here. Above average pass protection is a must. He's not that mobile and he can get gunshy in the pocket. His last two years with O'Connell up here was tailor-made for his skill set and if you have weapons and give him time, he'll do well. With all the back-and-forth about "systems" QBs, he is pretty much the epitome of a guy who can do well with guys around him, but don't count on him to really elevate those guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    I hate the Cousins deal. It could turn out to well but it's a massive risk. If he snaps his Achilles in week 3 then the Falcons might as well blow everything up. It will almost certainly lead to Fontenot and Raheem Morris losing their jobs (might not be a bad thing long term).

The Falcons basically went all in on a 35 year old QBs already injured Achilles tendon. If he gets hurt or is never again the QB he was before the injury, they have zero chance to compete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I hate the Cousins deal. It could turn out to well but it's a massive risk. If he snaps his Achilles in week 3 then the Falcons might as well blow everything up. It will almost certainly lead to Fontenot and Raheem Morris losing their jobs (might not be a bad thing long term).

The Falcons basically went all in on a 35 year old QBs already injured Achilles tendon. If he gets hurt or is never again the QB he was before the injury, they have zero chance to compete.
    Sorry you're wrong, it's an incredibly smart deal from the Falcons contract perspective. Essentially it's a 2 year deal. All the money is basically guarnateed for the first 2 years. Now maybe it's spread out more, but if he is screwed, we're only down for 2 years. 2 years is our window for the most part anyway.

Allegeier is a FA after 2025, London is a FA after 2026, Pitts FA after 2025, Matthews FA after 2026, McGary FA after 2026, Jarrett FA after 2025, Bates FA after 2026, Terrell FA after 2024, etc.

We're built to be super great the next 2 years, and then things are tricky after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Sorry you're wrong, it's an incredibly smart deal from the Falcons contract perspective. Essentially it's a 2 year deal. All the money is basically guarnateed for the first 2 years. Now maybe it's spread out more, but if he is screwed, we're only down for 2 years. 2 years is our window for the most part anyway.

Allegeier is a FA after 2025, London is a FA after 2026, Pitts FA after 2025, Matthews FA after 2026, McGary FA after 2026, Jarrett FA after 2025, Bates FA after 2026, Terrell FA after 2024, etc.

We're built to be super great the next 2 years, and then things are tricky after that.
    You're discounting all of the risk. I'd say there's probably a 40% chance Cousins either never comes back 100% or else snaps his Achilles again. If that happens then we're in the worst possible situation. We miss out on this short window and have very little hope for a quick rebuild.

Personally I wanted them to build for the future. Get a young QB and start working towards the next sustained window.