Page 1047 of 1148 FirstFirst ... 47547947997103710451046104710481049105710971147 ... LastLast
Results 20,921 to 20,940 of 22943

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Michael Thomas is gone, Kamara has a legal situation pending. NFC isnt great, maybe they win the division but thats about it.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The cap situation is not nearly as bad as you think it is. Carr's cap hit for this year is only 7.2 million. Theres only two players with cap hits of 20+ million. Cam Jordan and Lattimore. Theres only 8 players making 10+ million a year and this is with a cap of over 220 million. Those 8 players with the highest cap hit make up roughly 130 million of the 220 million cap. And thats including Jameis who is likely gone. The cap is projected to go up 20 million a year. That makes it very easy to keep kicking the can down the road. The team really only got tripped up because of the pandemic year. The cap situation is actually getting a lot better now that things are back to normal. After this year with paying Carr only 7.2 million in cap space that will be 3 straight years they havent had to pay a premium price for a QB. Brees's cap hit carried over a year but thats given 2 more years to rehab the cap.
    Saints are going to be getting under the cap but mainly by converting guys like Peat Lattimore, and Kamara, Cutting Jameis (which is the only big savings converting to next year) and cutting Thomas post June 1. THey cna get under the cap this year and be fine. It's more next year I'd be worried about. All those restructures push that salary to next year. SO you save 12M on Lattimore's cap hit this year, but hten what you save this year gets punted into the next 3 years and makes him harder to cut later. Right now the saints can cut Lattimore after 2024, and save 5M that year but doing this would put them on the hook to basically carry him through 2026. Right now Kamara is potentially cuttable after this season, But with that restrucure it will be tighter.

Saints will get under the cap. But they're set up poorly right now in 2024 without rookies. THey're already about 40M over the cap without factoring in what those conversions are.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So here's where I'm at as a Falcons Fan and I could be swayed.

Here's what I would do.

This offseason I'd sign Jimmy G to a low guarantee high per season value. He's worth it if healthy. He's not if he's hurt.

I'd try and sign Orlando Brown or Jawaan Taylor to bolster the OL. Either should be a significant upgrade over McGary and both are younger than McGlinchey.

Draft the best lineman. I really like Skronski. He can play all over the line. Little bit undersized for tackle but can play all across the interior and at the tackle in a pinch. But that could be a DE too

Keep drafting linemen. Wouldn't hate a Corner or LB or a value WR, but the Falcons need to improve their lines.

If we suck. COmmit to the suck. Bench Jimmy if he's hurt (if he's healthy we won't suck) and if we suck hard enough trade or suck hard enough to get Caleb WIlliams.

Or don't sign Jimmy G sign Linemen, Linebackers, etc. and suck for Caleb Williams. Either way I'm on board for trying to win now or sucking for Caleb Williams, I wnat a stronger OL though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Saints are going to be getting under the cap but mainly by converting guys like Peat Lattimore, and Kamara, Cutting Jameis (which is the only big savings converting to next year) and cutting Thomas post June 1. THey cna get under the cap this year and be fine. It's more next year I'd be worried about. All those restructures push that salary to next year. SO you save 12M on Lattimore's cap hit this year, but hten what you save this year gets punted into the next 3 years and makes him harder to cut later. Right now the saints can cut Lattimore after 2024, and save 5M that year but doing this would put them on the hook to basically carry him through 2026. Right now Kamara is potentially cuttable after this season, But with that restrucure it will be tighter.

Saints will get under the cap. But they're set up poorly right now in 2024 without rookies. THey're already about 40M over the cap without factoring in what those conversions are.

I think you are describing what you want to happen rather than what will actually happen. Been going through this every year for 10 years now. The only way Mike Thomas is being cut is if they don't believe he can stay healthy again. Cutting him after June 1st saves about 1.5 million in cap space. No point in cutting him to save cap space this year. Kamara sure as he'll ain't being cut. He could probably miss some of the season from suspension which lowers his cap hit already. I understand the sports media says the Saints are hopelessly over the cap. It's not true. It was only true one year because of the pandemic. It won't be next year either.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think you are describing what you want to happen rather than what will actually happen. Been going through this every year for 10 years now. The only way Mike Thomas is being cut is if they don't believe he can stay healthy again. Cutting him after June 1st saves about 1.5 million in cap space. No point in cutting him to save cap space this year. Kamara sure as he'll ain't being cut. He could probably miss some of the season from suspension which lowers his cap hit already. I understand the sports media says the Saints are hopelessly over the cap. It's not true. It was only true one year because of the pandemic. It won't be next year either.
    I mean from what I've read from multiple people is that Thomas is a lock to be cut post 6/1.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/list...tract-changes/

"Now, that’s not completely true. This is an ideal scenario for the Saints to exercise the post-June 1 designation and reap greater salary cap benefits. As observed by Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald, the Saints did this restructure with Thomas on the last day they were allowed to in order for him to be eligible for a post-June 1 release. By releasing Thomas in March (before the trigger date guarantees that $31.755 million for 2024) and designating him as a post-June 1 cut, the Saints will carry his $13.15 million salary cap charge until June 2. At that point it reduces to $11.993 million, and New Orleans will be left with a $14.181 million dead money charge in 2024."

Saints will get under the cap. Their methods have been dumb though. Falcons took 1 year of getting kicked in the teeth and already are looking solid in the cap. Chiefs did some work and look solid in the cap while still winning. Like every team deals with cap issues, Saints continue to pay aging former stars big bucks and suck instead of cutting bait and rebuilding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    If the Jets trade a 1 for Rodgers but don't make an offer on Lamar I'd question their decision making. I'm not saying I want my team to go hard after Lamar, but Rodgers showed some signs of slowing down last year. With the Jets weapons I think he'll be much better, but he had far and away the worst season of his career and will be turning 40, I wouldn't gamble on that. I'd much rather have the 26 year old QB even though I don't think Lamar has long in the league before he's injured out of it.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Panthers trade for the top pick.

Traded: DJ Moore, 9th overall this year, 61st overall this year, 24 1st, and 25 2nd. Costly move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Panthers trade for the top pick.

Traded: DJ Moore, 9th overall this year, 61st overall this year, 24 1st, and 25 2nd. Costly move.
    Costly move, but Panthers aren't a bad team, coudl win the division as I assume they're taking Young and Young should be ready to go right away. I can't imagine them trading up for a project.

Bears got exactly what they wanted. a talented WR, and a lot of Draft picks. The risk is they lost the best player in the draft. THey lost out their choice of S tier defensive linemen. But they still should be quality DL or OL there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    I mean from what I've read from multiple people is that Thomas is a lock to be cut post 6/1.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/list...tract-changes/

"Now, that’s not completely true. This is an ideal scenario for the Saints to exercise the post-June 1 designation and reap greater salary cap benefits. As observed by Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald, the Saints did this restructure with Thomas on the last day they were allowed to in order for him to be eligible for a post-June 1 release. By releasing Thomas in March (before the trigger date guarantees that $31.755 million for 2024) and designating him as a post-June 1 cut, the Saints will carry his $13.15 million salary cap charge until June 2. At that point it reduces to $11.993 million, and New Orleans will be left with a $14.181 million dead money charge in 2024."

Saints will get under the cap. Their methods have been dumb though. Falcons took 1 year of getting kicked in the teeth and already are looking solid in the cap. Chiefs did some work and look solid in the cap while still winning. Like every team deals with cap issues, Saints continue to pay aging former stars big bucks and suck instead of cutting bait and rebuilding.
    Thomas isn't going anywhere I can assure you of that. If sorry if I seem crabby about this but there's been this just non stop begging for the Saints to tear it down since about 2016 when I recall ESPN suggesting the Saints trade Brees to the Jets....for a third round pick to free up cap space. And the Saints went on to put up some of the most dominate stretches of football I have ever seen after that and even won an NFCCG. 2 years ago without Brees they were a 10-12 win team before Winston got injured from an illegal hit. They even swept the eventual Superb Owl Champs even with Taysom Hill at QB. There's at best 1-2 other teams that were good enough to win 9 games if they had to go down to their 4th string QB like the Saints did that year if even that many. And even that was without arguably our best player in Mike Thomas. Last year the Saints had to play Andy Dalton and still almost had a winning season. How that translates to a team that needs to tear it down is beyond me. To me it looks like a good team that just needs a decent QB and better health with its receivers.

What aging former stars are the Saints paying big money? Cam Jordan? He is still a star and I would rather see him retire a Saint for his whole career. Andrus Peat? Sure, but he was never really a star. DeMario Davis? I would rather cut my foot off. Dudes still great. I don't think you understand the Saints have made moves to improve the cap situation and it hasn't been an albatross to the team since the Jimmy Graham trade other than the pandemic year. The Saints have let 3 good players walk in in Trey Henderson. Terron Armstead and Marcus Williams over the last 3 years. Teams in salary cap he'll don't sign players to 4 year 150 million dollar contacts. In fact without the Carr signing the Saints would be looking the best they have in 20 years with the cap going into 2024.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Costly move, but Panthers aren't a bad team, coudl win the division as I assume they're taking Young and Young should be ready to go right away. I can't imagine them trading up for a project.

Bears got exactly what they wanted. a talented WR, and a lot of Draft picks. The risk is they lost the best player in the draft. THey lost out their choice of S tier defensive linemen. But they still should be quality DL or OL there.

Personally I am glad the Panthers made that trade. If their choice at number 1 doesn't work out they pretty much killed their franchise for the next 5 years. I would be surprised if they finished top 2 in the division this year.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    If the Jets trade a 1 for Rodgers but don't make an offer on Lamar I'd question their decision making. I'm not saying I want my team to go hard after Lamar, but Rodgers showed some signs of slowing down last year. With the Jets weapons I think he'll be much better, but he had far and away the worst season of his career and will be turning 40, I wouldn't gamble on that. I'd much rather have the 26 year old QB even though I don't think Lamar has long in the league before he's injured out of it.
    Disagree. Not only is Rodgers better, but he's more healthy and comes with less financial risk.

It'd have to be pretty substantial overpay in draft picks for Lamar to be better option than Rodgers.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Personally I am glad the Panthers made that trade. If their choice at number 1 doesn't work out they pretty much killed their franchise for the next 5 years. I would be surprised if they finished top 2 in the division this year.
    They're probably 2nd best team in the division right now with Brady gone from Tampa. Arguably could be 1st, that coaching staff they have is top notch. Depends what they do in FA, and who they draft other than CJ or Bryce.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Disagree. Not only is Rodgers better, but he's more healthy and comes with less financial risk.

It'd have to be pretty substantial overpay in draft picks for Lamar to be better option than Rodgers.
    No, Lamar was much better than Rodgers last year. I know the Packers were a bit of a dumpster fire last year. But Rodgers is 40, he coudl just be done.

Tom Brady played until he was 45 at a high level but he's a rare one. Peyton retired before then. Brees lasted until 41 but his last 2 years were lower level and much more hurt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    I like what the Falcons did today signing Bates, the Saints DT, extending Lindstrom, etc.

Very excited to see how it all blows up in their faces next year!

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I like what the Falcons did today signing Bates, the Saints DT, extending Lindstrom, etc.

Very excited to see how it all blows up in their faces next year!
    Yeah, those are all sound moves. Lindstrom was the big one I wanted to extend he's been so good and he's got a lot of seasons ahead of him.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

Feels so good!
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Falcons had a strong but odd Free Agency.

Like the OL was kept strong, DL got a big boost, don't understand the trade with the Pats, don't understand signing Heinecke.

Falcons need to draft an impact player be it corner, edge or OL. ANd they'll be in a good spot.

I'm guessing the Smith trade is to give Ridder a shot, and if Smith does well the Falcons should be able to trade him for more than the 7th they gave up. But I don't know. I'd rather have that money to roll over on the cap though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Mike Thomas re-signed BTW, like I said, he ain't going anywhere. Also signed some other players despite the media saying they have no cap space.

It’s over."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Mike Thomas re-signed BTW, like I said, he ain't going anywhere. Also signed some other players despite the media saying they have no cap space.
    Lost Onyemata, Davenport and Shuttle. Replaced them with worse players. Jamaal Williams is an underrated pickup though.