NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Maybe something big like:

Maybin to the Indians for Bourn, Swisher, Frasier, Naquin, Mejia

The Indians dump $30M in bad contracts, pick up a short term viable bat in Maybin but give up a couple of excess OF and a project catcher with potential.

Braves get a couple of warm bodies that might rebound and be flippable at the 2016 deadline in Bourn and Swisher. If they do nothing, then you have essentially bought 2 OF and a catching prospect for $30M and the loss of Maybin.

Put Frazier in LF and Naquin in CF and have Mejia working his way through the system. The contracts come off the books after 2016 and the Braves are ready to add another major piece in advance of 2017.
    I was thinking of something like this as well taking on both Swisher/Bourn and getting Frazier and Naquin. Naquin should be able to start in 16 and Frazier by 17. The Indians would have Maybin, Brantley, and Zimmer all for about $16M. It could even go bigger and include Chris Johnson going back if we wanted to include more. Then we'd be only taking on $15M more for 2016 with Maybin and CJ's salary going back. For 2016 Swisher and Bourn are almost half their committed payroll. They're going to be looking to get rid of them somehow.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I was thinking of something like this as well taking on both Swisher/Bourn and getting Frazier and Naquin. Naquin should be able to start in 16 and Frazier by 17. The Indians would have Maybin, Brantley, and Zimmer all for about $16M. It could even go bigger and include Chris Johnson going back if we wanted to include more. Then we'd be only taking on $15M more for 2016 with Maybin and CJ's salary going back. For 2016 Swisher and Bourn are almost half their committed payroll. They're going to be looking to get rid of them somehow.
    Certainly send CJ if you can. But, I was thinking that the Indians would need for it to be a bigger salary dump on their side to get their interest.

With their pitching, I don't see them being that interested in the high end starters market. However, I could see them jumping out with the cash saved for a chance at JUpton or Heyward. They have tons of CF in their system and Bradley is a fine young player without the desired power for LF. If they could rid themselves of Bourn and Swisher, add Maybin for CF short term and add JUpton for RF, they might be a contender in their division, assuming their pitching stays good.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Justin had similar seasons in Arizona. Were they because of Petco, too?
    Surely he was aware, at least in the back of his mind, that there was a very real chance he might play there someday. It had to affect him.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (08-07-2015), Tapate50 (08-07-2015), yeezus (08-07-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Surely he was aware, at least in the back of his mind, that there was a very real chance he might play there someday. It had to affect him.
    So he's mentally weak? That's not good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Cespedes, Upton, Heyward, the dollars we think will be out of where we want to go
    he thinks?

we had 2 of these on our team just a few months ago and he "thinks" it will be too much

but hey, we can trade for old cuban players with young players

but God forbid we sign some players too to go along with the "rebuild" to compete

**** this ****
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'm down to sign Heyward, but to the people who are clamoring for power: why do you want him? Right now, he is not a power hitter, and hasn't been for years. Certainly possible he turns into one, but chances are he won't.

I would definitely sign him (not at $25MM...) but if your thoughts are we need more HRs (not necessarily mine), then I'm not sure why so many are so desperate for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    he thinks?

we had 2 of these on our team just a few months ago and he "thinks" it will be too much

but hey, we can trade for old cuban players with young players

but God forbid we sign some players too to go along with the "rebuild" to compete

**** this ****
    Olivera isn't getting paid $20 mil.
    And yeah, right now it's impossible to know how much those guys will get. Maybe if the market comes down on them and they end up around $18MM, we'll be involved.
    This is called getting outraged for the sake of doing so.

I am baffled by the people who, knowing what we know now, still would've wanted to hold onto Heyward and JUp.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Olivera isn't getting paid $20 mil.
    And yeah, right now it's impossible to know how much those guys will get. Maybe if the market comes down on them and they end up around $18MM, we'll be involved.
    This is called getting outraged for the sake of doing so.

I am baffled by the people who, knowing what we know now, still would've wanted to hold onto Heyward and JUp.
    true but trading for a 30 year old player during a "rebuild" makes no sense if we aren't going to put other pieces with it

if we are going to say no to these players, who do you see after next year that we would say yes to that are going to be free agents?
    I took 1st base and SS out for obvious reasons
    The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2016 season.
    (* – player whose current contract includes 2017 option)

Second Basemen
    Aaron Hill
    Chase Utley
    Neil Walker
    Josh Wilson

Third Basemen
    Adrian Beltre
    Daniel Descalso
    Martin Prado
    Justin Turner
    Luis Valbuena

Catchers
    Drew Butera
    Jason Castro
    Francisco Cervelli
    A.J. Ellis
    Ryan Hanigan
    Nick Hundley
    Jonathan Lucroy
    Salvador Perez *
    Wilson Ramos
    David Ross
    Chris Stewart
    Kurt Suzuki *
    Josh Thole

Outfielders
    Nori Aoki
    Jose Bautista
    Carlos Beltran
    Gregor Blanco
    Peter Bourjos
    Michael Bourn *
    Jay Bruce
    Chris Coghlan
    Coco Crisp *
    Michael Cuddyer
    David DeJesus
    Sam Fuld
    Craig Gentry
    Carlos Gomez
    Alex Gordon
    Chris Heisey
    Matt Holliday *
    Jon Jay
    John Mayberry
    Cameron Maybin *
    Nate McLouth
    Logan Morrison
    Angel Pagan
    Josh Reddick
    Alex Rios
    Michael Saunders
    Jordan Schafer
    Seth Smith *
    Travis Snider
    Jose Tabata *
    Mark Trumbo
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Heyward would be a better fit for this team if the Braves had other young, cheap power hitters in the fold. The way this team is currently structured, depending on Heyward to carry the offense and more importantly, paying him like that type of player, is likely not the best route to take. He's a great player for a team that already has some pop, where he can fit in and just do his thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diesel For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (08-07-2015), yeezus (08-07-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I cannot recall the last team who "went big" in free agency and it actually worked out. We hear about them during the offseason and we all talk about how good they might be because they spent a lot of money and then later reality hits and they're looking to get out from under those contracts. We're not going to blow our wad like a fat kid in a candy store, just because we can.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Heyward would be a better fit for this team if the Braves had other young, cheap power hitters in the fold. The way this team is currently structured, depending on Heyward to carry the offense and more importantly, paying him like that type of player, is likely not the best route to take. He's a great player for a team that already has some pop, where he can fit in and just do his thing.
    This is my thought as well. If he can be a #2 hitter and just be an all around role player like a Brett Gardner he will flourish. But only the big market teams can pay a role player that kind of money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    He didn't say that they wouldn't spend money just that they wouldn't spend money on THEM.

I have said for a couple of months now that it is clear, at least to me, that Hart is looking to play on one or more of the TOR starters out there. I think he will trade from the current rotation to bring some bats. I just hope that he doesn't go for bats that are ML ready who are a) old b) not really that good c) expensive in terms of money and/or years.

I would much prefer a trade like the Brewers made where they brought back two near ready OF and some change.

It's clear that the Braves are banking on Olivera filling one hole. He is much more valuable if he plays 2B (assuming he can) but I think the Braves think of him as a 3B. Then, if you assume Simmons at short Jace at 2B, Freeman at 1B and (at least for now) Markakis at RF you have holes in CF, LF and C. CF you might be able to play Mallex Smith if he can lead off but that makes it harder to carry the relatively poor bats at short and 2B (one reason why Olivera at 2B is better). LF has no internal answer and must be acquired. Catcher is the same as LF since it is clear, at least to me, that CB is destined for an Eddie Perez career (if that).

The Ruiz belly flop is really hurting right now. Hopefully it is a nagging injury thing. Maybe he can go to AFL and regain his status as a viable 3B alternative which would allow Olivera to push Jace of 2B and allow the Braves to play Smith in CF which would then allow the Braves to package Maybin with a starter like Miller to try and bring back the answer at LF and/or catcher.
    Obviously we can go after other guys, but after those 3, who is going to come in and make a big difference without being a significant risk of regressing steeply soon?

If we're trying to put together a competitive team and are setting our sights lower than these guys in FA, I'm worried about what we might have to do in trades.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This is my thought as well. If he can be a #2 hitter and just be an all around role player like a Brett Gardner he will flourish. But only the big market teams can pay a role player that kind of money.
    Heyward is not a role player, I don't know why people think this. Of course, Gardner really isn't a role player, either.

Heyward is the best player on the best team in baseball.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    What is considered a role player in baseball?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    true but trading for a 30 year old player during a "rebuild" makes no sense if we aren't going to put other pieces with it

if we are going to say no to these players, who do you see after next year that we would say yes to that are going to be free agents?
    I took 1st base and SS out for obvious reasons
    Well, I'd say trades are always a possibility.
    And I think we'll be a pretty decent team next year (or, could be).
    I'd certainly look into Gordon this offseason for LF. I think he's a good fit. Always depends on how high the bidding goes.
    We need a LT catcher, but I'm not sure where we'll find one, I think they're pretty tough.
    If we could somehow swing singing Gordon and Price (to anchor the staff) this off-season, I believe we'd be in good shape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Agree with some earlier sentiments. Heyward is not currently a guy who will carry you (despite what his WAR says). He's certainly better than a role player, but I think the best players in the game can be depended on on offense, and he isn't that guy.

Grichuk's WAR extended to Jason's games is above Jason's, FWIW.

And we are not the Cardinals. They have an incredibly well-rounded team, pretty much top-to-bottom, and have funneled guys in from their minors like it's nothing. We are not there, and I don't think we can pay Heyward like he's a catalyst, because he isn't (right now).

Now, if we get him on a cheaper deal, betting that he will become one, I'd listen. Still plenty young.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not sure why Olivera doesn't fit into the rebuild model. We want to be good in 3017. He will still be good for a few years after that probably.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm not sure why Olivera doesn't fit into the rebuild model. We want to be good in 3017. He will still be good for a few years after that probably.
    Yeah, true. I hear that Immortality pill is going on the market soon, and rumors are Hector is first on the list for it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-07-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Heyward is not a role player, I don't know why people think this. Of course, Gardner really isn't a role player, either.

Heyward is the best player on the best team in baseball.
    Heyward is a solid contributor for a team that wins because their pitching has been the best in baseball, by a wide margin. For a team that needs offense, Heyward is not the ideal fit. Especially considering what his price will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Why are people rushing to get Jace out of here? Can we please see what type of plAyer he is going to be first?
    Natural Immunity Croc