Thread: 8/11/2015 TUESDAY MINORS THREAD .... BBA's Best Tools for 2015

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Riley also walked again. 2 HR, 1 3B, 3 2B, 6 BB in 7 games at Danville. I would seriously consider promoting him to Rome to end the year. Probably wouldn't, but he is obviously ahead of the game in rookie ball.

There's obviously still reason for caution, but this could turn out to be one of our best picks ever.
    Yeah and you didnt like the pick when it was made.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yeah and you didnt like the pick when it was made.
    I had two primary issues with the pick:

1) It was our first bat in a draft in which I wanted us to go heavy on bats, yet even he was a possible pitcher. I already knew quite a bit about him and knew a lot of people liked him more as a pitcher, so I worried we would use him on the mound.

2) I'm a huge Mississippi State fan and was bummed we wouldn't be getting him.

Yes, I did say it was a bit of a reach based on rankings. And I cared too much about that during the draft. I wasn't as concerned about that with Riley as I was with Soroka (which also looks to not be the case), and I was wrong on that.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I was skeptical of the pick, and I was wrong. Riley has killed it, and I love having him in the system. It happens. I'm a human being, one who will always give an opinion, even if it turns out to be stupid because I don't have the knowledge I should have.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (08-11-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,325 Posts
    Bethancourt had another good night at the plate. 2-4 with a double.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I had two primary issues with the pick:

1) It was our first bat in a draft in which I wanted us to go heavy on bats, yet even he was a possible pitcher. I already knew quite a bit about him and knew a lot of people liked him more as a pitcher, so I worried we would use him on the mound.

2) I'm a huge Mississippi State fan and was bummed we wouldn't be getting him.

Yes, I did say it was a bit of a reach based on rankings. And I cared too much about that during the draft. I wasn't as concerned about that with Riley as I was with Soroka (which also looks to not be the case), and I was wrong on that.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. I was skeptical of the pick, and I was wrong. Riley has killed it, and I love having him in the system. It happens. I'm a human being, one who will always give an opinion, even if it turns out to be stupid because I don't have the knowledge I should have.
    yeah but hayward totally burned you though

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    yeah but hayward totally burned you though
    It's a joke and at least spell my name right.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Wish they'd give him a chance but prolly not.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

Yeah, I don't think too many folks had a problem drafting Riley, just more when we picked him. I'd say many more folks were annoyed by the Soroka pick (myself included). I would have much rather seen us draft Ke'Bryan Hayes, then Chris Betts, then grab Riley with our 4th pick. And that should have been easily doable.

Soroka has looked excellent so far however, and Herbert is a solid C prospect as well, so can't really complain even though I'd still prefer the above scenario.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Wish they'd give him a chance but prolly not.
    im with you on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    I'd say many more folks were annoyed by the Soroka pick (myself included).
    I'm with you. The Soroka and Minter picks were my biggest concerns. So far, Soroka making me look very foolish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Man, Riley really just dominating right out of the gate.

Saw a Kiley McDaniel prospect chat yesterday that said he would take Albies out of the big 3 SS prospects in the minors right now. Said he should rank anywhere from 20-50 I think for all three.

Sims has REALLY responded to the promotion. Makes one wonder what he was working on at the lower level?
    Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Yeah, I don't think too many folks had a problem drafting Riley, just more when we picked him. I'd say many more folks were annoyed by the Soroka pick (myself included). I would have much rather seen us draft Ke'Bryan Hayes, then Chris Betts, then grab Riley with our 4th pick. And that should have been easily doable.

Soroka has looked excellent so far however, and Herbert is a solid C prospect as well, so can't really complain even though I'd still prefer the above scenario.
    The problem with your scenario is that we wouldn't have been able to sign them all unless every pick after the guys you mention would have agreed to sign well below slot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    The problem with your scenario is that we wouldn't have been able to sign them all unless every pick after the guys you mention would have agreed to sign well below slot.
    This point is always overlooked and dismissed no matter how many times it's brought up 50. Braves were very deliberate with their draft.
    Natural Immunity Croc

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Spot on analysis and the Riley pick was a due diligence thing. The new scouting department makeover has been refreshing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Spot on analysis and the Riley pick was a due diligence thing. The new scouting department makeover has been refreshing.
    It was a travesty that Roy Clark was allowed to be pushed out of this organization. That is not just an indictment on Wren but JS as well. Thankfully he came back.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I frankly don't know how everything works with the slot system... but I would have rather taken higher upside picks and forgone some signings... In other words, sign 8/10 higher upside players rather than the 10/10 we did.

I wanted Cameron or Hayes

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I frankly don't know how everything works with the slot system... but I would have rather taken higher upside picks and forgone some signings... In other words, sign 8/10 higher upside players rather than the 10/10 we did.

This is why I never make knee jerk reactions on the draft. There are so many things I don't know, and it's impossible to truly grade out all these kids. The NFL draft is way more predictable and easier to study than MLB.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

And some teams do that. The problem with Cameron is that at $4 MM, he would absorbed a lot of space we didn't have. He really only fit with the Astros, who had $17 MM to spread around. As for Hayes, I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Riley has been impressive thus far, but it's way early for both of these guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    And some teams do that. The problem with Cameron is that at $4 MM, he would absorbed a lot of space we didn't have. He really only fit with the Astros, who had $17 MM to spread around. As for Hayes, I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Riley has been impressive thus far, but it's way early for both of these guys.
    I have no issue with the Riley pick. I wanted more bats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    I don't see a reason not too. We aren't in the race and as much as I like AJ, he's not our guy of the future. Bring this dude up and see what he can do because he's actually hitting for some power and walking right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Man, Riley really just dominating right out of the gate.

Saw a Kiley McDaniel prospect chat yesterday that said he would take Albies out of the big 3 SS prospects in the minors right now. Said he should rank anywhere from 20-50 I think for all three.

Sims has REALLY responded to the promotion. Makes one wonder what he was working on at the lower level?
    I wondered about that. Julio was awful in Triple-A for the most part but it came out that he was working on things. Sims could be as well. Would be HUGE if he was the guy a lot of us originally thought.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-12-2015)