Thread: Braves Pitching Prospects

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts

Braves Pitching Prospects

This is a list of the Braves pitchers 25 and under. I was able to take it off of a guy in a random forum I was looking through, so I take no credit, but it's pretty extraordinary what all we've done:

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (08-12-2015), Coach_Chris (08-15-2015), dak (08-15-2015), JohnAdcox (08-12-2015), Knucksie (08-12-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    What are the numbers based off of and how are they determined?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Allard has pitched 1 inning and he has the best control in the organization. Think I'd let him at least pitch long enough to qualify for a win before I said he has the best control

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    The numbers come from both MLB.com and Fangraphs.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    cool list. but I can't stand by Folty having a 70 fastball. He has the velocity but that fastball doesnt fool people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    cool list. but I can't stand by Folty having a 70 fastball. He has the velocity but that fastball doesnt fool people.
    Agreed. Folty's fastball is highly overrated based on his top out velocity. There isn't enough consideration being given to it having no movement and him lacking control of it when thrown so hard. Plus when you factor in what he lacks in secondary pitches too it makes it highly unlikely he'll turn into a good pitcher anytime in the near future. He also doesn't seem to have the head you want for him to turn into a good pitcher. And that sums up why I find him highly overrated and unlikely to be anything special.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    with all of those pitchers...can we get out of the scrap heap starter game? Williams Perez looks to be a good 5th starter. Can we save here and not spend a couple million on a scrap heap guy? At least the young guys have some upside.

And maybe we can spend to upgrade the bats.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,866 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    with all of those pitchers...can we get out of the scrap heap starter game? Williams Perez looks to be a good 5th starter. Can we save here and not spend a couple million on a scrap heap guy? At least the young guys have some upside.

And maybe we can spend to upgrade the bats.
    I would say that's the plan but Hart says he doesn't plan on signing any top bats this year. And next year's FA class isn't promising either. Maybe we will use some of these guys to trade for hitters already under contract?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Allard has pitched 1 inning and he has the best control in the organization. Think I'd let him at least pitch long enough to qualify for a win before I said he has the best control
    Well, consider that he's walked no one for his entire career...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Most of those grades are based on projection, not where the player is currently at. Folty's fastball does at times have some life on it, and that is why it is a 70 grade based on his projection. Those of you who say he has not shown enough to prove he can be a good pitcher yet must have not seen a young John Smoltz, who had very shaky command of his fastball when he first came up and could not throw an off speed pitch to save his life until he developed his splitter.

There are 20 names on that list, and of those 20, 15 were brought in by the new front office over the past year. The overall pitching prospects had diminished TREMENDOUSLY under the previous front office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Most of those grades are based on projection, not where the player is currently at. Folty's fastball does at times have some life on it, and that is why it is a 70 grade based on his projection. Those of you who say he has not shown enough to prove he can be a good pitcher yet must have not seen a young John Smoltz, who had very shaky command of his fastball when he first came up and could not throw an off speed pitch to save his life until he developed his splitter.

There are 20 names on that list, and of those 20, 15 were brought in by the new front office over the past year. The overall pitching prospects had diminished TREMENDOUSLY under the previous front office.
    I'm certainly not giving up on folty, but couldn't you name 20 guys that never put it together like smoltz did?

Didn't folty just start throwing his slider fast this year? Think I read that he threw it slower until this year. Hopefully he'll get better with that slider and take off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm glad the Braves are more patient with their young pitchers than the posters on this board. I still think Folty has a bright future.
    Natural Immunity Croc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-17-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

I disagree, I actually think these grades are mostly where the pitcher is now. Most would give Allard's curve at least a 65-70 future grade and his changeup a 55. Any pitcher who throws up to 99-100 will get a huge grade on their fastball. He needs to command it better, but that's taken care of by the control grade.

His issue is command and secondary stuff. The reason people hit his fastball is because they can sit on it because they're not worried about his other pitches.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm glad the Braves are more patient with their young pitchers than the posters on this board. I still think Folty has a bright future.
    Developing young pitchers is a process, they generally struggle for a year or two for sure. But on the flip side that is something you should keep in mind when you are predicting that our pitching staff is going to be much improved next year and we are going to be competing for playoff spots.

Though in the case of Folty, he is going to have develop his secondary stuff a good bit to be a starter. If he doesn't he's more of a relief pitcher long term, and as 1976 alluded to I'm not sure he's well suited for that role from a mentality standpoint. Time will tell, he'll get plenty of chances next year I'm sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-15-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

Actually, it's no secret that Smoltz was my favorite Braves pitcher going back to his rookie year here. So try again, that's not it at all.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-17-2015)