Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/14/15 DBacks @ BRAVES

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I wouldn't DFA swisher until at least next ST. It's not like we're fighting for a playoff spot or something.

Is it swisher's knee or his knees? If it's a knee, i wonder if we can repair it with surgery. 2 years ago he hit 22 hr's with a .341 obp. I certainly don't wanna hold him if he doesn't turn it around, but I'd at least give him till ST
    He just had both knees operated on last August.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

Runnin (08-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    He just had both knees operated on last August.
    Uhhhh... That isn't a good sign then. I'd still give him till ST, but I wouldn't hold him if he performed poorly esp if Garcia can play LF, 3b, and 1b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Swisher is a good guy to keep on the bench during a rebuild season. I wouldn't worry about him until the 2016 deadline at the earliest.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,830 Posts
    A little late tonight because I was at the local minor league game, which the M-Braves were playing.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-15-2015), Garmel (08-14-2015), thethe (08-14-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    A little late tonight because I was at the local minor league game, which the M-Braves were playing.
    How'd Thurman look?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Great job by Viz again tonight, he's been very good since coming back up after his suspension. If he continues this he should close for us next year IMO.
    The back end of the bullpen could be very interesting next year. Viz will be back, but there is a possibility that Folty will eventually find his way to the pen. I also think Tyrell Jenkins's future may be as a 8th inning guy at the back end of the bullpen. Chris Withrow and Paco Rodriguez are other back end options. Matt Marksberry could end up being a LOOGY. Shae Simmons will be back as well. The pen could very well go from a tremendous weakness to a potential strength in 2016.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,830 Posts
    How'd Thurman look?
    Just posted thoughts about him and other observations in the minor league thread.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The back end of the bullpen could be very interesting next year. Viz will be back, but there is a possibility that Folty will eventually find his way to the pen. I also think Tyrell Jenkins's future may be as a 8th inning guy at the back end of the bullpen. Chris Withrow and Paco Rodriguez are other back end options. Matt Marksberry could end up being a LOOGY. Shae Simmons will be back as well. The pen could very well go from a tremendous weakness to a potential strength in 2016.
    I actually feel better about our bullpen next year than I do about our starters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    I actually feel better about our bullpen next year than I do about our starters.
    A lot will depend upon Manny Banuelos's health. I figure the starting rotation will be Shelby, Julio, Matthew, Manny, and Williams right now with Folty having a chance to prove he deserves a spot.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    You have to explain this one to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Vizcaino and Simmons are gonna be solid back end guys. Withrow has a career (2 years) era of 2.73. Rodriguez has a career (4 years) era of 2.53. That's 4 solid guys. Marksberry, maybe detwiler, mckirahan, and perhaps folty or banuelos can round out what could be a solid bullpen.

Starting staff...

Like miller and Teheran at the top. After that we've got a lot of question marks IMO. I do think Perez, wisler, banuelos, folty, and Jenkins have potential, but hardly locks right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    Every starter in the minors is a potential candidate for the major league pen. As a matter of fact, most major league relievers were starters in the minors.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Hopefully tonight and his recent good games will start to bring back trade interest in him. I think it's just a matter of time till he's dealt as long as a team will take his contract. So it would be best for him to do well enough to get us back a better return than just salary relief.
    I was mainly talking about another one of thethe's love affairs with a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    It shouldn't be a surprise at this point since our bullpen is projected to be much better next year and our rotation weaker after trading Wood. Plus as nsacpi notes a lot of the starters in the minors are bullpen options too (and we do have some good ones to choose from). Further, I would actually have concerns about our rotation next year unless we at least add someone like a Kazmir to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

thethe (08-15-2015)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Vizcaino and Simmons are gonna be solid back end guys. Withrow has a career (2 years) era of 2.73. Rodriguez has a career (4 years) era of 2.53. That's 4 solid guys. Marksberry, maybe detwiler, mckirahan, and perhaps folty or banuelos can round out what could be a solid bullpen.

Starting staff...

Like miller and Teheran at the top. After that we've got a lot of question marks IMO. I do think Perez, wisler, banuelos, folty, and Jenkins have potential, but hardly locks right now
    Isn't funny how we forget guys like Fried, Winkler, Withrow, and how they might fit into the mix. Be warned: by mid-2017, Allard might be pounding on a door as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Isn't funny how we forget guys like Fried, Winkler, Withrow, and how they might fit into the mix. Be warned: by mid-2017, Allard might be pounding on a door as well.
    Yeah, I said I felt better about our bullpen than our starters next season. I think we'll have a very good starting rotation, but it might take till '17

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    Yeah, I said I felt better about our bullpen than our starters next season. I think we'll have a very good starting rotation, but it might take till '17
    Looking at what we currently have at the major league level and upper minors, I'm comfortable with Miller, Teheran and Wisler in the rotation. I think we will have to go out and get two starters from outside the system. Maybe there will be a pleasant surprise or two from the guys who have pitched in the majors, AAA and AA this year. But for them to become a reliable major league starting pitcher by 2017 would take a positive surprise (their developing into something better than their current most likely projection). And we have to cross our fingers regarding injury/regression from Miller, Teheran and Wisler.

The good news though is there is a glut of starting pitching on this year's FA market. With some patience we can get one or two bargains.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,722 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Looking at what we currently have at the major league level and upper minors, I'm comfortable with Miller, Teheran and Wisler in the rotation. I think we will have to go out and get two starters from outside the system. Maybe there will be a pleasant surprise or two from the guys who have pitched in the majors, AAA and AA this year. But for them to become a reliable major league starting pitcher by 2017 would take a positive surprise (their developing into something better than their current most likely projection). And we have to cross our fingers regarding injury/regression from Miller, Teheran and Wisler.

The good news though is there is a glut of starting pitching on this year's FA market. With some patience we can get one or two bargains.
    I'm curious if we keep minor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    I'm curious if we keep minor.
    He would make something close to the 5.6M he is making this year if offered arbitration. I would offer it to him. It is like a one year deal with an option. The price is not bad in today's market. Of course, the team has a lot more information about the prognosis for his surgically-repaired shoulder. But if it is favorable, it makes sense to keep him.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-15-2015)