Thread: He's out!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You fail to see the point.

If I were gay and I can get money out of it seeing the political environment why not take advantage? What point does that prove, is it not being selfish?

Being selfish is the sole reasoning coming out until he prove me otherwise? Michael Sam did and looked what has happened. Media still clings to him and he is not a good football player. Wise life management there getting paid because you have a different lifestyle. I couldn't live with myself if I use that mentality to make money.
    My point is that what he's done since coming out is largely irrelevant in the context of what his announcement did for others. However you choose to interpret his actions after the fact should not change the act itself. The way that many of the league's star players and leaders responded to the very real occurrence of an openly gay player entering the league was a huge stepping stone for future homosexual players who might be concerned with whether or not they'd be accepted in a sport like football. Nothing Sam did to make some extra money or gain some more publicity after that fact should negate that.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    My point is that what he's done since coming out is largely irrelevant in the context of what his announcement did for others. However you choose to interpret his actions after the fact should not change the act itself. The way that many of the league's star players and leaders responded to the very real occurrence of an openly gay player entering the league was a huge stepping stone for future homosexual players who might be concerned with whether or not they'd be accepted in a sport like football. Nothing Sam did to make some extra money or gain some more publicity after that fact should negate that.
    But he did and that is the point. He tried to make a buck off of it. Does he really care about other gays? No, not at all, to each his own and now it has caught up to him.

Other players came out and they are not getting that media attention as Sam stole it all and getting paid, that would bother me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    As far as I am concerned, gays are just another human being. This is the reason I was chosen as the best man. Did I feel awkward? No, I didn't, it is what it is. Two people in love. So I do not get why this is an event unless money is attached to it. That is all.

But I am a Christian as well and I have my principles there and my cousin has no problem with the "marriage" thingy. In the world he is married via the government mandate, but in church he is not and that will never change in the Baptist church either. He is cool with it and he is accepted in church. So he is treated like anyone else and his marriage is not honored in it. But he loves God more than anyone so why should I be phobic toward him. He could not help he was born this way.

I should call him up tomorrow and see how he is doing. No, he is not into sports, more the runway, modeling type of things. If you see the Tyra Banks show, he acts just like the black judge on there.

We had a lot of fun times growing up. He sold me his Atari 800 when he had no need for it. I always wanted one at that time.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I get that we're at an impasse here, so I'll just end it here. I respect your opinion on the matter, and if everyone held similar views to you, the world would be a much more tolerant place. I just feel that the reality is that there are too many people out there who do not share that tolerance, and players taking steps forward like Sam and Denson have are significant because they help others in their situation see that there are so many of us out here that do support their right to be open about who they are. When you get NFL legends like Deion Sanders to express his support, it's going to have an impact on others. This is merely a barrier that needed to be taken down, much like equality in marriage and the ability to be open about one's sexuality while still fighting for America. It's significant in that it brings us a step closer as a nation to accepting something that is normal as such, after years upon years of overwhelming opposition.

To bring back one parallel I used earlier, with race relations still where they are today even after the breakthroughs made in the 50s and 60s, we should be celebrating anybody willing to come out in a situation like this, because there's a long fight ahead. We still don't have it right about race, and that's been a century in the making. Let's hope that more of these breakthroughs happen so that maybe the path does not take so long for the homosexual community.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mqt For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (08-17-2015)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Kind of boring that it's just another bum though. Maybe Harper will finally come out soon.
    My gaydar has pinged with him more than once.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-18-2015), Dalyn (08-17-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    My gaydar has pinged with him more than once.

I don't think that's your gaydar, Dane.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (08-17-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    You don't have to respond mqt, the view I am coming from is exploitation. Blacks do it and do it continuously, the president do it, the alternative lifestyle does it ( I hate the word "gay" or "homo" to be honest) and the media feeds it and enforce both entities to the point it makes people mad. That is where my problem lie. Treat every human as a human and nothing attached to them. How hard is that?