Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FA Starting Pitching Market

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    So, again - why do we think we're going to go against everything our leadership has said publicly, about efficiency and Olivera being the first building block, and go get pitching?
    Well mainly it's because they have targeted the 2017 season as the point we are going to be competing for the playoffs. And if we don't make any FA moves and have our younger pitchers sorting things out as you say (and I agree with that part, they will be having major ups and downs the next two seasons as they find their level) then we won't be competing for the playoffs (particularly if we wind up trading Julio for a bat, which seems likely given all the smoke about him being traded lately).

So their stated claim to not sign majors FAs doesn't jive with their claim to have a a solid team in place by 2017 for the new stadium. One or the other will wind up being wrong. Which is why many of us don't buy it completely.

And personally once we made the trades this offseason I figured we'd suck for the next 2 1/2 years at least, so it's not a big deal to me if we let all the youngsters play and get another high draft pick next year. I'd much rather see that than trying really hard just to have a .500 record. Nothing is worse for a franchise than consistently being average.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So here are some general principles:
    Two guys that seem to hit most of your principles would be Hisashi Iwakuma and Jeff Samardzija. Either could make interesting buy lows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Two guys that seem to hit most of your principles would be Hisashi Iwakuma and Jeff Samardzija. Either could make interesting buy lows.
    Iwakuma buy low? I don't know about that. He's affordable for two more years, right? 1.01 WHIP this year. Just threw a no-hitter. He's pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Iwakuma buy low? I don't know about that. He's affordable for two more years, right? 1.01 WHIP this year. Just threw a no-hitter. He's pretty good.
    He's a free agent after the season according to what I'm looking at. And he's 34 and having a down season era wise . Could be the sort of player that could slip through the cracks in a stacked offseason for pitching.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Iwakuma would be an interesting addition, but it's doubtful he would seriously consider Atlanta. It's likely only either staying out West or going back to Japan for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    He's a free agent after the season according to what I'm looking at. And he's 34 and having a down season era wise . Could be the sort of player that could slip through the cracks in a stacked offseason for pitching.
    Oh, thought he was signed longer.
    Interesting. I'd definitely a flyer on him for 2-3 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Iwakuma would be an interesting addition, but it's doubtful he would seriously consider Atlanta. It's likely only either staying out West or going back to Japan for him.
    Yeah, that would be the main concern I would have trying to sign him. Though it's not like we haven't signed a Japanese starter in the past.