Thread: FA Starting Pitching Market

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

FA Starting Pitching Market

The glut of starting pitching about to hit the market is going to open up some opportunities for a lot of teams if they are willing to be patient. Maybe even the Braves.

I'd like for this thread to discuss what kind of pitchers might be worth looking at. Let's try first to do this without naming a particular pitcher. Let's talk about the considerations the Braves (and any team for that matter) might want to use to rank the pitchers. After we've discussed the principles, we can then move on to particular pitchers who will be on the market.

For me it is about finding the best bang for the buck. So here are some general principles:

1) Look for someone who might have had an off season in 2015 relative to his baseline of recent years.

2) Look for someone whose performance might have been hurt by the ballpark/division/league he was playing in. At the same time, try to avoid (or at least take into account) those whose performances might have been helped by playing environment.

3) Look for a pitcher whose peripherals (walk and strikeout rates) held up better in 2015 than other stats such as ERA or wins. In particular, don't give too much weight to their 2015 HR/flyball ratio.

4) Avoid pitchers with a significant downward trend in velocity.

5) Give bonus points to ground ball pitchers on the assumption that our infield defense will continue to be a strength over the next few years.

6) Also give bonus points for ability to pitch deep into games. I would like someone who has gone 200 or more innings in at least two of the past three years.

7) A strikeout to walk ratio of at least 2 to 1 in recent years is something I would also look for.

Thoughts on the above? What else?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    I do not think this will be a strategy the Braves will employ. They will not be acquiring any significant major league starting pitching.

I do understand that you think - probably correctly - that we stockpiled pitching at a time where hitters are at a premium. But I don't think we will acquire much (any) more.

I think we are more likely to acquire a power hitting outfielder and an offensive catcher.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Thoughts on the above? What else?
    Not sure I would definitely look for #1, but I agree with all the rest.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-17-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    These are all great things to look for in a pitcher. Unfortunately I think this ship might have already sailed in MLB. Big spenders like the Yankees, Cubs and Dodgers are all going to be willing to pay for players that might have outperformed their traditional numbers. Having these kind of minds with the budgets they are given seems fairly frightening to those of us cheering for other teams.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I don't know. We acquired a bunch of pitching but there are rumors of us moving Tehran.

this staff believes in vet leadership, so Im not sure we'll have a rotation with a bunch of guys under 25.

If we have a protected pick you'd think we could go for a big fish, but maybe the years scare us away.....7 years would scare me.

I think we'll target one or two next tier guys. Like the Fister level of guy. Maybe we can over pay a little to keep the contact length down. And I hope we don't trade Tehran unless we get a stud position player w/o having to throw in anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    i'm not sure we can survive without 3.88 xFIP ACE Alex Wood.
    May as well mail it in forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Contract length is also important. I'm willing to trade off a higher AAV for shorter contract. Ideally we can get someone on a 2 or 3 year deal plus an option year. The option year is important with pitchers because it gives the club a chance for some upside if the pitcher stays healthy and effective.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-17-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    So here are some general principles:
    Two guys that seem to hit most of your principles would be Hisashi Iwakuma and Jeff Samardzija. Either could make interesting buy lows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Two guys that seem to hit most of your principles would be Hisashi Iwakuma and Jeff Samardzija. Either could make interesting buy lows.
    Iwakuma buy low? I don't know about that. He's affordable for two more years, right? 1.01 WHIP this year. Just threw a no-hitter. He's pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Iwakuma buy low? I don't know about that. He's affordable for two more years, right? 1.01 WHIP this year. Just threw a no-hitter. He's pretty good.
    He's a free agent after the season according to what I'm looking at. And he's 34 and having a down season era wise . Could be the sort of player that could slip through the cracks in a stacked offseason for pitching.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Iwakuma would be an interesting addition, but it's doubtful he would seriously consider Atlanta. It's likely only either staying out West or going back to Japan for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Iwakuma would be an interesting addition, but it's doubtful he would seriously consider Atlanta. It's likely only either staying out West or going back to Japan for him.
    Yeah, that would be the main concern I would have trying to sign him. Though it's not like we haven't signed a Japanese starter in the past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    He's a free agent after the season according to what I'm looking at. And he's 34 and having a down season era wise . Could be the sort of player that could slip through the cracks in a stacked offseason for pitching.
    Oh, thought he was signed longer.
    Interesting. I'd definitely a flyer on him for 2-3 years.