Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Braves claim Mark DeRosa, Nevermind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Janish is a big step up defensively than Pena.
    Janish is better at short, but Pena is still a good shortstop. Plus Pena is very good defensively at third. Bottom line: Janish cannot hit a lick, at least Pena can hit vs righties.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    No question Janish is the best, by far, defensive option of the three guys you mention. Plus, he runs well. I agree that we're talking about the 24th/25th guy here. I'm just saying Pena had a nice little run (and he was regressing when injured), but he filled the dance card nicely for the first few months of the season. Is he the reason we're in first? Never said that. Said he was a nice spare part.

Janish will stick around baseball for quite awhile. Great glove and when you see guys like Kozma clipping along at a sub-.600 OPS rate, I can see a situation where a team could conceivably give Janish a shot at starting. Janish's problem--like it is for a ton of guys--is that they have to play regularly to hit, but they can't hit enough to play regularly.

I guess my bottom line as it relates to this topic is that I'd prefer Janish to DeRosa.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    If we acquire him, I do not have a problem with it.

If we do not acquire him, I do not have a problem with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gcbraves For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (08-09-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    No question Janish is the best, by far, defensive option of the three guys you mention. Plus, he runs well. I agree that we're talking about the 24th/25th guy here. I'm just saying Pena had a nice little run (and he was regressing when injured), but he filled the dance card nicely for the first few months of the season. Is he the reason we're in first? Never said that. Said he was a nice spare part.

Janish will stick around baseball for quite awhile. Great glove and when you see guys like Kozma clipping along at a sub-.600 OPS rate, I can see a situation where a team could conceivably give Janish a shot at starting. Janish's problem--like it is for a ton of guys--is that they have to play regularly to hit, but they can't hit enough to play regularly.

I guess my bottom line as it relates to this topic is that I'd prefer Janish to DeRosa.
    My point was simply that the difference between Janish, Pastor, Pena isn't going to amount to much, if anything. I was halting the Pena was a big loss train.

I prefer Janish to Derosa, but Derosa isn't a bad piece for when rosters expand and you can have both on the roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I remember people quoting infantes career ops when he was acquired. Fun times.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I remember people quoting infantes career ops when he was acquired. Fun times.
    I was thinking about the Infante comp. Pena has had a stretch where he has performed better than his career numbers. Some of that stretch came during the Mexican Winter League. Some during spring training. Some during the regular season. To my eye, he looked to be a significantly better hitter than his career numbers prior to this year. Hopefully, he recovers from the shoulder surgery and continues to give us good production next year.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't think Pena is in the same ballpark as Infante, who hit the big leagues really young and grew into a consistent ball-in-play guy. I just think Pena had a few qualities that, if he could maintain a .650-ish OPS, made him a bit more valuable than Janish or Pastornicky.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Apparently it wasn't the Braves who claimed him. Jon Heyman is reporting the claiming team was below .500, so that would eliminate the Braves. It's a moot point anyway because the Jays aren't trading him.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    You mean he can stand at the plate at both sides. (.691 OPS vs. righties, .295....yes...vs. lefties) Janish is a big step up defensively than Pena.
    Say what you want about Ramiro Peña, but he is not a switch-hitter: he's a left-handed hitter who for some reason stands on the wrong side of the plate against LHP.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-09-2013), Braves1976 (08-08-2013), BremanFan88 (08-08-2013), Dalyn (08-08-2013), Julio3000 (08-08-2013), Krovahn (08-08-2013), Mrs. Meta (08-09-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Apparently it wasn't the Braves who claimed him. Jon Heyman is reporting the claiming team was below .500, so that would eliminate the Braves. It's a moot point anyway because the Jays aren't trading him.
    Turned out it was the Angels.

But I don't know why everyone thought DeRo would replace Janish on the roster. That doesn't make any sense. DeRo would have replaced one of the outfielders because he can play OF too.

I would have liked to have had him back but it's no big deal either way. Hate how his career with the Braves ended with him blowing out his knee.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    We need a backup infielder who can actually hit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I'm ok with having this bench for the playoffs: Laird, Janish, Reed Johnson, Schafer, Gattis, Terdoslavich.

I imagine we'll go with 11 pitchers and an extra bench player, which should be Terdoslavich.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Diesel (08-09-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Welp... time to unsticky this.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given