Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive to take from long season..

Playing the Waiting Game blueagleace1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Positive to take from long season..

As long of a year as it's been and as hard as the Braves can be to watch there is one good thing that stands out to me...

... We might have found Kimbrel's replacement in Vizcaino. Kid has looked tremendous since being called up.
    "Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-25-2015), JohnAdcox (08-25-2015), weso1 (08-24-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,714 Posts
    Would love for Olivera to finish the year worthy of the hype.

Would love for Bethancourt to take hold of the catching position.

Would love for at least 1 of wisler, Perez, and folty to turn the corner.

If these 3 things happen, along with viz continuing to dominate, it would take the sting out of this season to me anyway

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (08-25-2015), Garmel (08-24-2015), JohnAdcox (08-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Would love for Olivera to finish the year worthy of the hype.

Would love for Bethancourt to take hold of the catching position.

Would love for at least 1 of wisler, Perez, and folty to turn the corner.

If these 3 things happen, along with viz continuing to dominate, it would take the sting out of this season to me anyway
    I totally agree man, I did like what I saw from CBeth tonight from the defensive side (and that's really all that matters).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blueagleace1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,995 Posts
    I can't help myself from thinking how amazing it would be with Shae Simmons, Vizcaino, Kimbrel.

BUT, I do agree with the trade. :)

I agree, I really want one of Wisler, Perez or Folty to finish the year strong. Primarily Wisler.

I'm REALLY happy to see Teheran do work though.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-25-2015), Julio3000 (08-24-2015)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Teams been fun to watch. Offense better than last year. Strikeouts=devil
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueagleace1 View Post
    As long of a year as it's been and as hard as the Braves can be to watch there is one good thing that stands out to me...

... We might have found Kimbrel's replacement in Vizcaino. Kid has looked tremendous since being called up.

That is precisely why it's dumb to pay a closer unless you are a competing team. Its just not that hard to find bullpen arms.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,974 Posts
    It would be nice if Swisher proved he was healthy (and could still play some) and that Bourn's tank isn't completely dry.

As for the younger guys, they look to be wearing down a bit, but it's nice to see Teheran back in somewhat of a groove. Need to see some progress from the younger guys in the rotation.

The later trades by the front office have puzzled me a bit, but I think we are moving in the right direction. Of course, I was always under the impression there was going to need to be a re-build of some sort. The front office moved more dramatically than I anticipated in putting the re-build in place and continuing down that track, but it is what it is. I don't know if we'll be a true playoff contender by 2017 (which is bandied about like some magic date). The Cubs--who a lot of folks in here seem to get sticky pants over--were really crappy for the five years prior to this one, which has allowed them to draft guys like Bryant and Schwarber. Add to that their ability to take advantage of Billy Beane's temporary insanity last summer and a big enough budget to sign guys like Soler and Lester and you can see why things have meshed for them. I'm hoping the same thing can happen for us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (08-25-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Theo is a good baseball mind and so is Maddon. Those two reasons alone are why the Cubs are much better than the Braves. Hart and Fredi lol.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Theo is a good baseball mind and so is Maddon. Those two reasons alone are why the Cubs are much better than the Braves. Hart and Fredi lol.
    Theo is also sitting on a pretty thick wallet. Easy to look smarter than one is if that's the case (i.e. John Schuerholz).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-25-2015), The Chosen One (08-25-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    The main positive I take from this season is that the farm system is strong once again. Things have been put back into the hands of the scouts and player development staff, and the results show. This time one year ago, the Braves had a poor ML team and a farm system that was among the worst in baseball. I'm a big believer in the farm system being the life blood of an organization. It's tough to retool the major league team when the farm system is weak.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,808 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The main positive I take from this season is that the farm system is strong once again. Things have been put back into the hands of the scouts and player development staff, and the results show. This time one year ago, the Braves had a poor ML team and a farm system that was among the worst in baseball. I'm a big believer in the farm system being the life blood of an organization. It's tough to retool the major league team when the farm system is weak.
    The problem is the main pieces we have gotten back in trades have not been overly promising.

Obviously still early, but I'd have liked to have seen one or two take an obvious step into top prospect status

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The problem is the main pieces we have gotten back in trades have not been overly promising.

Obviously still early, but I'd have liked to have seen one or two take an obvious step into top prospect status
    I think the very young group that we drafted out of high school this year and the guys we have signed on the international market the last three signing periods are very promising.

Among the guys Hart traded for it has been more of a mixed bag. Miller has been outstanding. But the jury is very much out on guys like Wisler, Folty, Ruiz, Banuelos, Jace and Dustin Peterson, Fried, Mallex Smith, etc, etc.

I think there will be some reinforcements coming in from the upper level of the minors, but not enough to make this team competitive by 2017 without some major and expensive acquisitions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Theo is also sitting on a pretty thick wallet. Easy to look smarter than one is if that's the case (i.e. John Schuerholz).
    Eh, the Cubs aren't winning because Theo spent all their money. The only big money they gave out was to Lester, which is scary, they are already this good and Theo hasn't started throwing money around yet.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Among the guys Hart traded for it has been more of a mixed bag. Miller has been outstanding. But the jury is very much out on guys like Wisler, Folty, Ruiz, Banuelos, Jace and Dustin Peterson, Fried, Mallex Smith, etc, etc.
    I think out of that group, Miller and maybe Banuelos are the only ones that should have spent major time in the ML this year. But, supposed need (or the need to appear to be trying to be competitive) has pushed some guys up likely before they were ready. I wouldn't have a problem with Folty, Wisler and Jace getting a call up in September but all three have very specific need areas where they could have used extended ml time to correct without OTJ at the ML.

I understand there comes a time when every player must leave the kiddie pool and sink or swim at the deep end BUT when nothing is on the line at the ML level why now? There are very few reasons to push them up and many, many reasons not to. Even if you are trying to build trade value you would have to think an unknown Folty with top end stuff would be more valuable than a know Folty with a 6+ era at the ML level and IF Folty HAD come up and posted a sub 3.5 era then he wouldn't be a trade candidate anyway.

About the only reason to do would be to get them up to work with Roger but that wouldn't say much about the confidence in the ml pitching coaches.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Eh, the Cubs aren't winning because Theo spent all their money. The only big money they gave out was to Lester, which is scary, they are already this good and Theo hasn't started throwing money around yet.
    He threw a crapload of money around in Boston.

But there's no denying that the Cubs have benefited greatly from being crappy the past five seasons much like the Braves benefited from being crappy in the mid-to-late 1980s. And that is where the wallet is going to come in handy because it's my guess that the Cubs will want to hang onto the high-profile guys they have drafted or pay for replacements through free agency.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Maddon's a joke...doesn't wear the uniform. He doesn't respect it then. I am with Bobby on that one. No pullovers, no turf shoes, no covering logos...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Theo saw the benefit in high draft picks, and those picks have a lot to do with their current and future promise.

Yet you've been the biggest critic of the plan to rebuild, which brings high picks and top-end talent along with it. So figure out which strategy you want and stick with it, but don't criticize our plan while lauding Epstein.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Maddon's a joke...doesn't wear the uniform. He doesn't respect it then. I am with Bobby on that one. No pullovers, no turf shoes, no covering logos...
    He does wear the uniform, his pullovers have the logo on them, and hardly anyone wears spikes. Coz was unique in that.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Theo saw the benefit in high draft picks, and those picks have a lot to do with their current and future promise.

Yet you've been the biggest critic of the plan to rebuild, which brings high picks and top-end talent along with it. So figure out which strategy you want and stick with it, but don't criticize our plan while lauding Epstein.
    All I said was Theo and Maddon>>>Hart and Fredi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    All I said was Theo and Maddon>>>Hart and Fredi.
    What about Rizzo and Williams?