Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Voter ID Fun

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    Yes and I'd question rather that person should even be allowed to breathe. Not exactly asking a whole lot there.
    Lovely sentiment. I'm sure my grandfather who's nearly blind would not agree with you.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Lovely sentiment. I'm sure my grandfather who's nearly blind would not agree with you.
    I'm sure his caring grandson or another family member could get him there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I'm all for giving every US citizen a reasonable opportunity to vote regardless of cost. I really don't see why that means the government shouldn't try to prevent any potential fraud they can regardless of the cost. These 2 goals don't have to contradict each other. Simple compromise should be able to avoid contradiction.

Just another quick retort to the argument that in person voter fraud has been rare in the past... I would also argue that it doesn't matter. Before 9/11 happened terrorists had never successfully pulled off an attack close to that magnitude. Point being that just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. If the opportunity for in person fraud is there then why not try to preemptively squelch the potential conflagration? And again... consider local elections moreso than national elections.

I just feel that this is a key role of government and something money should be spent on.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm sure his caring grandson or another family member could get him there
    And if they have no transportation.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    And if they have no transportation.
    Bus, taxi, friends, neighbors, bike, 2 legs?

How are they going to get to the polling place to cast their vote? Use that same mode of transportation. Its really not that difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Bus, taxi, friends, neighbors, bike, 2 legs?

How are they going to get to the polling place to cast their vote? Use that same mode of transportation. Its really not that difficult.
    Absentee ballot. You should maybe consider that not everyone has access to the polls that you do. Much less having access to get around other ways. I for example can easily walk to my polling place, not a problem, I drive so I have a license, to me voter ID isn't the slightest problem, but for many others it's a big problem. And laws shouldn't be made because they accomidate most people, especially laws involving voting, the most sacred right we have as Americans. Granted to us in the 14th Amendment any attempt to take that right will be punished.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Absentee ballot. You should maybe consider that not everyone has access to the polls that you do. Much less having access to get around other ways. I for example can easily walk to my polling place, not a problem, I drive so I have a license, to me voter ID isn't the slightest problem, but for many others it's a big problem. And laws shouldn't be made because they accomidate most people, especially laws involving voting, the most sacred right we have as Americans. Granted to us in the 14th Amendment any attempt to take that right will be punished.
    I really could care less about voter ID's being required. I'm sure making them a requirement would benefit my type of political thinking (conservative), but it is hardly something that really irritates me. The inability to get to the DMV or where ever needed just seems like a really weak excuse to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I really could care less about voter ID's being required. I'm sure making them a requirement would benefit my type of political thinking (conservative), but it is hardly something that really irritates me. The inability to get to the DMV or where ever needed just seems like a really weak excuse to me.
    It really wouldn't benefit either side. It would take voters from both sides. It would disenfranchise some of the less into it voters. I have little doubt that there will be buses and things of that nature paid by the DNC and RNC to get people to the DMV. It's just not a law I want to see on the books, though I kind of hope some states are dumb enough to do it to see if Congress and the SC have the stones to follow the constitution.

I mean to me the Voter ID law will either be counterproductive in costs (meaning spending billions to fix a problem that doesn't exist) counterproductive in result (doing things like ship out ID forms still enabling voter fraud) or unconstitutional in direct violation of the 14th and 24th Amendments.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    910 Posts
    I don't know about other states, but when I voted in NY, I just needed to give a name and address then sign a book. The ladies volunteering there were all aged somewhere between 95-112. No one looked at the signature, and I know this because my signature was different from when I first voted 8 years prior and no one questioned it. Even if they did, I'm doubtful that these ladies were experts in the field of signature forgery and could spot the frauds out of thousands of voters. I could have gone back an hour later and voted for one of my non-voting friends. Could have gone back an hour after that and done it again. Not saying that it does happen, but the potential for it is there. It would be ridiculously easy to commit fraud. You wouldn't need to be some mastermind with an Ocean's Eleven style plan.

Not saying that providing a gov't ID would even be an improvement, but when I voted in 2012 I was taken aback at how loose everything was. This has nothing to do with left/right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I am pretty sure there are people who go over the books for irregularities. Sure there is an opportunity for fraud, but again I'm sure the issues of Fraud are one in a thousand if even inthat much.