Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Are Simmon's Defensive Metrics This Year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts

How Are Simmon's Defensive Metrics This Year?

Can some of the more saber-savy posters inform me?

I'm curious, because there was a ball hit earlier tonight that he seems to get to normally. And I don't remember seeing make as many amazing plays this year as we're used to seeing.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post

I'm curious, because there was a ball hit earlier tonight that he seems to get to normally. And I don't remember seeing make as many amazing plays this year as we're used to seeing.

Long way to go for me to put "serious" weight in most defensive metrics (unlike some, I'd like to see them proven with a bigger sample size), but part of me would attribute part of that to the fact that the pitching has been so bad that several of the highlight reel plays we're used to seeing disappear when many of the balls put in play aren't in places even HE can't get to.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Long way to go for me to put "serious" weight in most defensive metrics (unlike some, I'd like to see them proven with a bigger sample size), but part of me would attribute part of that to the fact that the pitching has been so bad that several of the highlight reel plays we're used to seeing disappear when many of the balls put in play aren't in places even HE can't get to.
    So, you know what the defensive metrics say? I'm just curious, not putting much stock in them at this point.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    So, you know what the defensive metrics say? I'm just curious, not putting much stock in them at this point.
    No - I have no clue. Rarely look at them at all since I'm not a believer - yet.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts

The defensive stats pretty much back up what your eyes are telling you. He's still very very good with 19 DRS in 980 innings, but that's a little bit off his pace from last year when he had 28 DRS in 1280 innings for the year.

And the biggest difference does seem to be on the amazing type plays. He's only getting to 30% of the balls graded as really unlikely for him to field (10-40% chance of any SS making the play), where he was at 50% on those type plays last year. He's also down a bit on mildly challenging plays and as well.

So yeah, still among the best couple SS in baseball defensively, but not blowing everyone away like in years past.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Been a little banged up this season as well.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (08-26-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Been a little banged up this season as well.
    Yeah, I think he's been playing hurt, and it's limited his effectiveness. He's still on top, but he's not lapping the field as in previous years. He had a little extra spring in his step at the beginning of the year that he's been missing, IMO. That said, he's only made 4 errors and is still the best around.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    The other thing to keep in mind is that, historically, defense peaks early. That's not to say Andrelton is three years away from being Wilmer Flores at short, but it seems likely that his 2013 season is the best defensive performance he'll ever post.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-26-2015), Julio3000 (08-26-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is that, historically, defense peaks early. That's not to say Andrelton is three years away from being Wilmer Flores at short, but it seems likely that his 2013 season is the best defensive performance he'll ever post.
    Yeah. It's also unfair to epxect him to continue having historic season after historic season. If he's just saving 20 runs a year I'll be happy which is far an away more than 99% of other shortstops.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015), Julio3000 (08-26-2015)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah. It's also unfair to epxect him to continue having historic season after historic season. If he's just saving 20 runs a year I'll be happy which is far an away more than 99% of other shortstops.
    Simmons in 2013 was a lot like Kimbrel in 2012- he just pushed the limits of what was actually possible against big league competition. Craig "declined" in 2013 and 2014, simply because what he did in 2012 was so stupidly dominant that it was unsustainable. I suspect that's Simmons' story as well.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015), Julio3000 (08-26-2015)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Usually. Omar Vizquel was nearly as good in his late 30s as he was at his peak, and played the position well in his 40s. His bat didn't hold up. And yeah, he's an outlier, but so is our boy.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    This really doesn't make sense.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It might also be a little hard to put in 110% effort on defense for a team that is playing for 2017. Certainly not worth getting hurt diving for a ball again when the team isn't going to win 70 games.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    This really doesn't make sense.
    It actually makes perfect sense - maybe just not to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    I know the discussion doesn't belong in this thread though, so I don't even know why you brought it up.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It actually makes perfect sense - maybe just not to you.
    He's not knocked for balls that aren't hit "in his zone." His numbers are down bc he's not making plays on balls that he typically does. That's not to say he's not still a great defender, but it's just a notch below what he's been.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think the best "defense" for defense being evaluated well within WAR is that Team WAR seems to reflect that good defensive teams are outperforming their offensive contributions.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think the best "defense" for defense being evaluated well within WAR is that Team WAR seems to reflect that good defensive teams are outperforming their offensive contributions.
    Royals are the perfect example of that this season.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    He's not knocked for balls that aren't hit "in his zone." His numbers are down bc he's not making plays on balls that he typically does. That's not to say he's not still a great defender, but it's just a notch below what he's been.
    I think that makes plenty of sense, but my question (and earlier point) was - are there fewer chances for him to make those plays on than in previous years? Are more of those balls just a little deeper in the OF or further in the holes? Given that our pitching has been substantially worse than in previous years, are there more balls dropping just a few feet outside the area anyshu was talking about?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I think that makes plenty of sense, but my question (and earlier point) was - are there fewer chances for him to make those plays on than in previous years? Are more of those balls just a little deeper in the OF or further in the holes? Given that our pitching has been substantially worse than in previous years, are there more balls dropping just a few feet outside the area anyshu was talking about?
    Why should the quality of pitchers matter on the amount of balls in Simmons zone? Unless our pitchers in years prior had the ability to make the batters hit the ball there. The simple solution is that wasn't Simmons true talent level and was just a freak season. Just like when someone has a super high BABIP in a given year. Simmons actual talent is likely at 20+ runs saved per year.