Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Predict BJ Upton's final numbers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    To answer that question, how would you feel if BJ Upton were traded or signed with another team?

I think the majority of us would be happy like some of the Rays fans were. Hes so talented, but very streaky and frustrating.

No denying though that when BJ Upton is hot, its about as good as it gets..and Rays fans will tell you that.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post

No denying though that when BJ Upton is hot, its about as good as it gets..and Rays fans will tell you that.
    You can say that about anyone, when everything is clicking they obviously are going to look good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    You can say that about anyone, when everything is clicking they obviously are going to look good.
    True, but since BJ is a 5-tool player(or was supposed to be) for those stretches where he is hot, he is CLEARLY the best player in baseball hands down. You cant get him out, he steals bases, plays great defense and wins a lot of games for you. Sure you can say that about a lot of guys, but a lot of guys dont have the overall game that BJ can show. Guess thats the point I was making.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    .360/.410/.700

Beats CJ for batting title
    I was thinking closer to .350, but we're in the same ballpark.

As long as he's not an automatic out swinging a toothpick, I'm fine with him. Looks like he's rejuvenated since the rehab and sometimes a break like the one he had can give guys a mental fresh start, and like Yogi Berra said, "90 percent of the game is half mental."

I thought we went about a few million per year too high on Bossman Jr., but the guy just drips athletic talent and you can understand the temptation of scouts when grading him. I just don't know what was wrong with him the first part of the season. I don't think I've ever seen a hitter that clueless or inept.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-09-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I was thinking closer to .350, but we're in the same ballpark.

As long as he's not an automatic out swinging a toothpick, I'm fine with him. Looks like he's rejuvenated since the rehab and sometimes a break like the one he had can give guys a mental fresh start, and like Yogi Berra said, "90 percent of the game is half mental."

I thought we went about a few million per year too high on Bossman Jr., but the guy just drips athletic talent and you can understand the temptation of scouts when grading him. I just don't know what was wrong with him the first part of the season. I don't think I've ever seen a hitter that clueless or inept.
    Im not sure I have ever seen a player with the athleticism of BJ, but with the swing of a postal worker. Dude has the most unathletic swing in baseball.

Dunit, put your pipe down.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    240/317/680

21 HR

We are talking red freaking hot boys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    IMHO he wasnt injured that bad. Braves just took the 15 Day DL opportunity to get him out of the spotlight to work it out in peace with an old trusted hitting coach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Both Uptons struggled immensely with their timing. It's really odd that both of them went through similar stretches of being totally lost as to how to get that timing back. The ability to time a pitch and adjust to changing conditions is the reason they are big league hitters.

It's weird how timing comes and goes for hitters.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Im not sure I have ever seen a player with the athleticism of BJ, but with the swing of a postal worker. Dude has the most unathletic swing in baseball.

Dunit, put your pipe down.
    There are times it looks like he's trying to chop down a Redwood with a hand axe. He looked really mechanical in the first half. I hate to invoke the name, but it's kind of "Francoeur Syndrome." Great athlete who looks the part (and more) against competition below his level, but gets exposed (and then some) when he finally gets to the level where everyone is as good as he is. You see a lot of guys like that in the minors who devour rookie league or Low A ball and then just fall through the floor when skills become as or more important than athletic ability.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    There are times it looks like he's trying to chop down a Redwood with a hand axe. He looked really mechanical in the first half. I hate to invoke the name, but it's kind of "Francoeur Syndrome." Great athlete who looks the part (and more) against competition below his level, but gets exposed (and then some) when he finally gets to the level where everyone is as good as he is. You see a lot of guys like that in the minors who devour rookie league or Low A ball and then just fall through the floor when skills become as or more important than athletic ability.

BJ has always been an enigma. Guy has a lot of athleticism, but just has never been able to put it together outside half a year or so at a time. This guy couldn't even survive in our high school district (GPA requirement was 2.0). Before moving to a private school coached by Gary Lavelle (former major league all star), he wasn't even one of the top 4 players in the district. (David Wright-his teammate was a better player and even he didn't win player of the year until he was a senior)