Thread: Minor League and Future Braves

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Minor League and Future Braves

As we are rebuilding I am one that keeps looking to the minor leagues as possible hope for the future. We keep talking about all these great players, especially in the lower minor leagues, that we have to look forward to. I am torn though...does the wins and losses of a minor league team predict future wins and losses for the major league team?

The reason I ask is the minor league records are not something to get excited over. I understand the amount of games they win is not the absolute indicator, but shouldn't it be one of the top indicators?

GCL - Braves - 27-33
    Danville Braves - 33-33
    Low A - Rome - 55-77
    High A - Carolina - 67-65
    AA - Mississippi - 67-63
    AAA - Gwinnett - 72-63

For example the 1992 record-setting Greenville Braves were 100-43. That was what we had coming in. My fear is that we are so looking forward to the future we are not seeing what we really have because we are either just ready for a change with talent, or we were so bad that we are excited we have minor league teams that finish .500 now.

Thoughts?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    As we are rebuilding I am one that keeps looking to the minor leagues as possible hope for the future. We keep talking about all these great players, especially in the lower minor leagues, that we have to look forward to. I am torn though...does the wins and losses of a minor league team predict future wins and losses for the major league team?

The reason I ask is the minor league records are not something to get excited over. I understand the amount of games they win is not the absolute indicator, but shouldn't it be one of the top indicators?

GCL - Braves - 27-33
    Danville Braves - 33-33
    Low A - Rome - 55-77
    High A - Carolina - 67-65
    AA - Mississippi - 67-63
    AAA - Gwinnett - 72-63

For example the 1992 record-setting Greenville Braves were 100-43. That was what we had coming in. My fear is that we are so looking forward to the future we are not seeing what we really have because we are either just ready for a change with talent, or we were so bad that we are excited we have minor league teams that finish .500 now.

Thoughts?
    I think development is more important considering there are now more individual pieces at the upper level who have legitimate chances to contribute on the major league level. Although a winning culture on the farm would be great, it's not the best indicator for talent by itself.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach_Chris View Post
    I understand the amount of games they win is not the absolute indicator, but shouldn't it be one of the top indicators?
    No.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (08-31-2015), JohnAdcox (09-01-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think BA has an indicator of major league ready talent that is in the upper levels of the minors. That has better information than the won-loss of the AAA and AA teams.

As for further down in the minors, the records or even stats of individual players are less meaningful. You want to look at tools, age relative to level for players in low A or Rookie ball. Guys like Albies, Allard, Soroka, Yepez, Acuna are succeeding while being young for their levels. Plus the reports on their tools are very positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    That Carolina is over .500 with that bus crash is a GD miracle.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.