Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: So, we can arrest Kim Davis now, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    I tire at this - have expended enough energy on behalf of a Democrat member of a heterodox church.

Judge away...

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Having now familiarized myself with the Kentucky RFRA, I understand your difference of opinion about the burden of proof on the objector, because of that artful bit of language about a "sincerely held belief." Not good legislation, IMO, but there it is. The courts may well be untangling that in time. But yeah, per you and Volokh, she probably has a good case under the Kentucky law, but that is not the venue for this scrap. I agree with the judge (and the circuit) that her job in determining whether or not the applicants meet the legal requirements for a marriage license does not impinge upon her ability to practice her faith. I guess we'll see where it goes from here.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-14-2015), Dalyn (09-14-2015), goldfly (09-14-2015)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    seems now that she is stealing 80k a year by not doing her job
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    This whole Kim Davis thing is irritating. If she can't follow the law because it conflicts with her beliefs, she should resign her position. We can't have our government employees ignoring and not following the law based on their personal feelings. If she gets away with it, what's next? Whole cities and town ignoring immigration law by making themselves "sanctuary cities"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    This whole Kim Davis thing is irritating. If she can't follow the law because it conflicts with her beliefs, she should resign her position. We can't have our government employees ignoring and not following the law based on their personal feelings. If she gets away with it, what's next? Whole cities and town ignoring immigration law by making themselves "sanctuary cities"?
    Hey, we should bring these lawbreakers to justice. You bring a torch, and I'll supply the pitchforks. Before we round the posse up, though, could you explain to me exactly what responsibility American municipalities have to enforce federal immigration law?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Having now familiarized myself with the Kentucky RFRA, I understand your difference of opinion about the burden of proof on the objector, because of that artful bit of language about a "sincerely held belief." Not good legislation, IMO, but there it is. The courts may well be untangling that in time. But yeah, per you and Volokh, she probably has a good case under the Kentucky law, but that is not the venue for this scrap. I agree with the judge (and the circuit) that her job in determining whether or not the applicants meet the legal requirements for a marriage license does not impinge upon her ability to practice her faith. I guess we'll see where it goes from here.
    Btw, thanks friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Btw, thanks friend.
    B, I appreciate your raising the questions of conscience and dissent throughout the thread. It's necessary and thought-provoking even if I don't end up drawing the same conclusions as another might. This whole thread is a reminder that there are a few things that should be blind to personality, politics, and our human weaknesses—justice, conscience, and our multifaceted faiths.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-15-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the big difference here, regardless of what the Kentucky RFRA says, is that she took an oath as an elected official to uphold the laws of the US Constitution. This isn't about serving alcohol on a plane. To somehow make that comparison is trite. This is more like George Wallace blocking the schoolhouse door. She may win in Kentucky because of the sentiment, but I think it's really a cop-out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the big difference here, regardless of what the Kentucky RFRA says, is that she took an oath as an elected official to uphold the laws of the US Constitution. This isn't about serving alcohol on a plane. To somehow make that comparison is trite. This is more like George Wallace blocking the schoolhouse door. She may win in Kentucky because of the sentiment, but I think it's really a cop-out.
    Oh, I'm firmly in the camp that she's more George Wallace than Rosa Parks, or whoever. And I think that Bunning and the Circuit are correct that her free exercise of religion has not been violated, so there is neither a 1st Amendment claim not a federal RFRA complaint. However, she has a legitimate case—not necessarily a winning case, but a legitimate one—under the state law. I understand her putative argument (though not the one her lawyers, who appear to be attention/money-seeking grandstanders, have advanced) better, but I haven't changed my previous opinion that if the dictates of her conscience won't allow her to do her job, she should resign.

On a personal note, I find that the tearful handwringing about HER treatment has obscured the fact that her actions clearly treated some blameless folks like second-class citizens.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Oh, I'm firmly in the camp that she's more George Wallace than Rosa Parks, or whoever.
    she isn't close to rosa parks

she is the bus driver who wouldn't drive the bus cause of Rosa Parks though
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-19-2015)