Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

Please Put Uggla Out of Our Misery

To the attention of Frank Wren:

Frank:

I have always been your advocate. I don't wish to break down my reactions to each and every move, but I cannot remain silent any longer over the current inaction that may acually drive me bad.

Deal Dan Uggla. Dump his $13 million per year, his league-leading 146 strikeouts, his 33-year-old eyes that may or may no be going bad, With six weeks of games that will be relatively pressure free, bring up Tommy La Stella and let him slide into the job that should be his for the next 10 years.

Sure, Uggla has 21 homers and 50-odd RBIs are so, so misleading as to any productivity. How many RBIs would a .300-hitting disciplined hitter who walked more than he struck out do in the same at-bats?

Here are the inarguable facts to support my feeling that this is no slump; this is career downturn:

His 146 strikeouts have come in only 389 at-bats, a sharp increase in his already-lofty whiff totals. He had 168 last year in 140 more at-bats. His 72 hits translate to a .185 average, nearly 40 points lower than his career-low .220 of last season. He will need to walk 33 times the rest of the way to match last year's league-leading total of 94.

His sabermetrics stats agree with the downturn. Every year in his career, his WAR was a strong positive. Even last year, it was 2.9. This year, it's -0.5. His RAR (runs better than replacement) last year was plus 28. This year it is negative two (-2). His RAA this year is -17 after being +9 in 2012.

His defense also now fails to provide an argument for keeping him around. Uggla already has 12 errors, matching last year's total. But his 2013 numbers come in nearly 300 fewer innings and 250 fewer chances. He also has almost exactly 200 fewer assists at second than he did all last year.

He will be 34 before Opening Day next year.

There is no point putting up La Stella's Class A-AA stats up as any kind of true comparison -- except to show he is a totally different style of hitter than is currently in the Braves lineup, except possibly for McCann.

A series of injuries in 2013 has limited LaStella to 239 at-bats. He has 85 hits (13 more than Uggla!) and a .356 combined average. As dangerous as hitter as he's proven to be, he has 32 walks against 26 strikeouts -- but only three homers and 35 RBIs. In his entire minor league career, 782 at-bats, he has struck out only 79 times against 98 walks.

Defense? Again, with his 2013 innings limlited, the number are a little askew, he has five errors, well short of a career worst.

I don't care how Uggla moves or how much it costs; If the Braves have to pay more than half of his remaining $30 million or so salary in a deal, so be it. If he gets claimed on waivers, let him go and say thank yew. If we get someone else's problem contract in return, so much the better for them.

I write this mindful of two things. 1) That Dan Uggla has represented the Braves with class and professionalism every step of the way. It's just business. 2) The Braves have no chance in hell of moving BJ Upton.

Regards,

rico

PS: I'd settle for Pastornicky, too.

CC: Fredi Gonzalez
    CC: Dan Uggla
    CC: Tommy La Stella

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Meta (08-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I definitely think that during September, we need to be letting Pastornicky (or any other options) get a lot of at bats and innings at 2nd base. It's one thing to allow Dan to work through his problems during the season and now with an insurmountable lead. It's completely different to allow him to throw away at bats during the post season.

If he is still in this horrid slump come October, there is no logic in playing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think Pastornicky should start about half the games at second in September. Play whoever does best in September in the post-season.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-13-2013), Diesel (08-13-2013), Grayson Dawg (08-13-2013)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    As bad an idea as it is, I am almost ready to just roll the dice on La Stella.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Grayson Dawg (08-13-2013)

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I've defended Uggla some in the past. But, how do you defend putting a 33 year old terrible defensive player in the lineup everyday when he can't hit a lick?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Just imagine how good our lineup would be if Uggla and BJ were simply league average? Not even good, league average.

Some days I feel more comfortable with the pitcher up at bat than these guys. It's a tough spot, and I liked the Uggla trade when it happened, but I'm past wondering if he'll ever turn it around. He is who he is... and who he is, pretty much sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    Just imagine how good our lineup would be if Uggla and BJ were simply league average? Not even good, league average.

Some days I feel more comfortable with the pitcher up at bat than these guys. It's a tough spot, and I liked the Uggla trade when it happened, but I'm past wondering if he'll ever turn it around. He is who he is... and who he is, pretty much sucks.
    Well the thing about "average" is that there are just as many players below as there are above it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-13-2013), holden (08-13-2013), jpx7 (08-13-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    Dan Uggla isnt going anywhere folks. Fredi loves him. Wren loves him. Not unless something is on the table that allows us to trade him, but thats HIGHLY doubtful. Maybe Cano goes elsewhere and the Yankees come a callin.

Anyway, im ready for Uggla to hit a key HR in the postseason that will make us look like fools.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    But...but...he represented the whole Braves team at Chipper's number retirement ceremony?!?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bravebonebook For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-13-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory BlackwaterPark's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Copy cat thread ;)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterPark View Post
    Copy cat thread ;)
    You should have legal recourse on a matter like this.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Dan Uggla isnt going anywhere folks. Fredi loves him. Wren loves him. Not unless something is on the table that allows us to trade him, but thats HIGHLY doubtful. Maybe Cano goes elsewhere and the Yankees come a callin.

Anyway, im ready for Uggla to hit a key HR in the postseason that will make us look like fools.
    Fredi does, no doubt, but Wren? Not sure. Wren's all business, don't think he'll sit idly. And he's in charge of Fredi.
    Last edited by stpeteirish; 08-13-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I definitely think that during September, we need to be letting Pastornicky (or any other options) get a lot of at bats and innings at 2nd base. It's one thing to allow Dan to work through his problems during the season and now with an insurmountable lead. It's completely different to allow him to throw away at bats during the post season.

If he is still in this horrid slump come October, there is no logic in playing him.
    Its no slump, he isn't any good any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I like Uggla a lot, and it sucks to see him playing like this. I think it's gone past a slump. He's in his own head, thinking about everything he does before he does it. I think a dl stint w daily trips to a sports psychologist would do him a world of good. He's gotta get some confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    What has happened to the magic cureall contract lens?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Its age and decline in bat speed. Happens to the best of them

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    As bad an idea as it is, I am almost ready to just roll the dice on La Stella.
    He's a college guy that's raking in AA. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to jump AAA if the Braves think he's ready. We have two possible internal options over Uggla and we are making a big mistake if we don't give one of them a few starts a week. I'm not saying that La Stella is ready and I'm not saying he's not. I'll leave that up to the Braves. But he's the exact style of player that this team is missing.

Heyward OF
    Upton OF
    Freeman 1B
    McCann C
    CJ 3B
    Upton OF
    Simmons SS
    La Stella 2B

That works for me and would give us may more productive AB's. I still eventually want to see Justin batting cleanup behind Freeman but that depends on someone stepping up as the 2 hitter. I think guys like Simmons, Pastornicky, La Stella all eventually could fit that mold.
    Last edited by emk418; 08-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    For now it would make sense to drop Uggla to 8th. He takes a lot of pitches, so a couple fast baserunners like BJ/Schafer and Simmons would get some chances to steal. Having some fast guys on base ahead of him could also lead to his seeing more fastballs.

Also with all the walks Uggla draws, it naturally sets up some bunting opportunities for the pitchers.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    For now it would make sense to drop Uggla to 8th. He takes a lot of pitches, so a couple fast baserunners like BJ/Schafer and Simmons would get some chances to steal. Having some fast guys on base ahead of him could also lead to his seeing more fastballs.

Also with all the walks Uggla draws, it naturally sets up some bunting opportunities for the pitchers.
    Agreed. It's a pipe dream that Fredi even sits him for a game or two a week since he's got a man crush on one of the worst players in the game. At the very least, you just can't bat Uggla and BJ back to back. I just don't understand how it's August 13th and Fredi hasn't realized that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I would hate to put Frank Wren in charge of setting up a survival shelter if there were an impending crisis. Someone would say, "Frank, we need some beans" and he'd proceed to go out and buy a semi-truck's worth and there wouldn't be room for anything else on the food shelves. We had a need for a RHH with power, so he goes out and gets Uggla, which was a shrewd short-termmove. But then he signs him to an expensive extension. He did the same with Lowe when we needed starting pitching and with B.J. Upton when we needed a CF. In other words, while I decry Wren's long-term vision from time-to-time, I think he's done well with the improvisational short-term moves, but then he screws the pooch by doubling-down.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (08-13-2013)