Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorting Out the Outfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Sorting Out the Outfield

We currently have:

1) The incumbents: Markakis (currently sitting at 1.2 WAR for 2015) and Maybin (sitting at 1.1 WAR)

2) The Cleveland Discards: Swisher has shown life as a Brave (.245/.379/.453). Bourn has not (.156/.250/.172).

3) The Mysterious Cuban Toscano

4) Three guys who have shuttled between the majors and AAA: Perez, Cunningham, Terdoslavich.

5) Mallex Smith

6) A little further back in the pipeline a projected 2016 AA outfield of Lien, Lipka, Godfrey and possibly Dustin Peterson.

With the exception of Mallex Smith, there isn't much to work with here, either in 2016 or beyond. Do we stick with this crew in 2016 or look to upgrade this off-season? Who stays? Who goes? Who starts the year in the majors? In the minors?

Worth noting is that Cunningham and Perez will be out of options. Terdoslavich has one left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    If it were up to me, I'd move markakis to LF, start the year with Bourn/Mallex, and sign a rf. If LF is a better option in FA, I guess I'd keep markakis in rf. I hate markakis' arm though

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    If anyone is willing to take Markakis we'd be complete idiots not to move him

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-03-2015), Dalyn (09-03-2015), jpx7 (09-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Does span's injury filled year make him cheaper and available at a shorter contract? I'd love to have span, but not long term

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We currently have:

1) The incumbents: Markakis (currently sitting at 1.2 WAR for 2015) and Maybin (sitting at 1.1 WAR)

2) The Cleveland Discards: Swisher has shown life as a Brave (.245/.379/.453). Bourn has not (.156/.250/.172).

4) Three guys who have shuttled between the majors and AAA: Perez, Cunningham, Terdoslavich.

5) Mallex Smith

6) A little further back in the pipeline a projected 2016 AA outfield of Lien, Lipka, Godfrey and possibly Dustin Peterson.

With the exception of Mallex Smith, there isn't much to work with here, either in 2016 or beyond. Do we stick with this crew in 2016 or look to upgrade this off-season? Who stays? Who goes? Who starts the year in the majors? In the minors?

Worth noting is that Cunningham and Perez will be out of options. Terdoslavich has one left.
    The disaster that is John Hart so far.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-03-2015), NinersSBChamps (09-03-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I don't think there's much to sort out at all. Hart traded for 2 OFs for a reason...to play the OF next year. The 4 main guys will be Swisher, Maybin, Markakis, and Bourn. Mallex will start the year in AAA, and I imagine Terdo will be on the bench as the 5th OFer. Between those 5 guys there's enough talent to man a "palatable" OF. Towards the trade deadline I fully expect all 5 (not Mallex) to be available in trade to contending teams.

The only additions I see the Braves making this offseason (aside from the usual BP and minor league depth acquisitions) are trading for a young catcher who is blocked by an established MLB guy, and a MOR starter in the $40M-$50M range. Hopefully they can wait until the end of the FA period and scoop up a pitcher at a relative bargain rate.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-03-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    We currently have:

5) Mallex Smith

Where the heck is Toscano right now???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think there's much to sort out at all. Hart traded for 2 OFs for a reason...to play the OF next year. The 4 main guys will be Swisher, Maybin, Markakis, and Bourn. Mallex will start the year in AAA, and I imagine Terdo will be on the bench as the 5th OFer. Between those 5 guys there's enough talent to man a "palatable" OF. Towards the trade deadline I fully expect all 5 (not Mallex) to be available in trade to contending teams.

The only additions I see the Braves making this offseason (aside from the usual BP and minor league depth acquisitions) are trading for a young catcher who is blocked by an established MLB guy, and a MOR starter in the $40M-$50M range. Hopefully they can wait until the end of the FA period and scoop up a pitcher at a relative bargain rate.
    I think you are pretty much spot on. So how many WAR does that outfield generate? 4? 5?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    You shop all 4 incumbents and see if you get any bites. Swisher blunt doing better may get a team to trade for him and part of salary you do that regardless of return. Same with Bourn. Maybin you don't just give away, but we should have moved him at the deadline if anyone was willing to give us any serious return for him. I'd move him for any B rated prospect. Markakis I'd move for any C rated prospect as long as we eat nothing of his salary. If we eat any serious amount I want an A prospect.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I think you are pretty much spot on. So how many WAR does that outfield generate? 4? 5?
    4? 5? Doesn't matter. It won't be good enough to contend for a playoff spot. It probably won't even be good enough to avoid being sellers at the trade deadline again.

Sticking with the current OF, trading for a young catcher like Susac (for example), bringing back AJ, signing a MOR pitcher, acquiring a couple BP arms, and getting a full year from Olivera and Freeman probably gets this team within shouting distance of .500 though.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-03-2015 at 04:04 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    If I had to guess, I'd say we trade Maybin in the offseason and start with an OF of Swisher/Bourn/Markakis with Mallex in AAA. I think we will then hope to call up Mallex after a month or so if he starts well.

This is assuming no real moves to add much in the offseason, though I could see us adding a decent FA and throwing Swisher on the bench.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say we trade Maybin in the offseason and start with an OF of Swisher/Bourn/Markakis with Mallex in AAA. I think we will then hope to call up Mallex after a month or so if he starts well.

This is assuming no real moves to add much in the offseason, though I could see us adding a decent FA and throwing Swisher on the bench.
    Maybin plus pitching could very well be used to bring back the young catcher the team has been looking to acquire. It would not surprise me one bit to see Maybin traded in the offseason, but I hope he is packaged with something else (probably pitching) to bring back an impact player rather than traded by himself and only netting a fringe guy.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Maybin plus pitching could very well be used to bring back the young catcher the team has been looking to acquire. It would not surprise me one bit to see Maybin traded in the offseason, but I hope he is packaged with something else (probably pitching) to bring back an impact player rather than traded by himself and only netting a fringe guy.
    QUestion is what team has young catching to offer? Looking at BA's top 100 the last 2 years (sorry I'm lazy) I see a few catchers, Swihart - Red Sox, Schwarber, Cubs, Plawecki - Mets, Alfaro - Rangers, Realmuto - Marlins, Suzak - Giants, McGuire - Pirates, Hedges - Padres, Sanchez - Yankees, D'Arnaud - Mets, Bethancourt - Braves (lol)

Break them down one by one where they are now

Swihart - In majors, no real competition so probably not even remotely available
    Schwarber - In majors, no real competition
    Plawecki and D'Arnaud - in Majors, one coudl be available, but it's the Mets.
    Alfaro - Traded to Phillies, given Ruiz's age, can't see him being available.
    Realmuto - Starting in the majors, no real competition
    Suzak - In majors, but with Posey and Belt on the same team, playing time is limited, could be an option.
    McGuire - young, in low minors. no real major league competition given Cervelli's age
    Hedges - In Majors, competition Norris, who could be an acceptable replacement, isn't super young but is 26 and a recent All-Star
    Sanchez - in AAA, McCann in the majors, and a rumor of interest in Wieters, if Wieters signs, Sanchez is available for sure.

So basically 3 potential options for young and controllable.

Sanchez, Plawecki/D'Arnaud, and Susak

Look at the OF options of those teams.

Yankees have Gardner, Ellsbury, and Beltran, No real OF option to replace, they don't seem super interested in spending more money than God anymore.
    Mets have Cuddyer, Lugares, and Granderson - 2 potential options to upgrade, but do we want to deal with the mets?
    Giants have Aoki, Pence, Pagan, and Blanco - Maybe an option, is an upgrade over Pagan.

It's really hard to say I see any of them giving up
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Sox also have Christian Vasquez, defense-first catcher, probably big-league ready, missed this season with TJ. Obviously, he's our guy.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-03-2015), zitothebrave (09-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    Jason Heyward.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-04-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Jason Heyward.
    Never heard of him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    QUestion is what team has young catching to offer? Looking at BA's top 100 the last 2 years (sorry I'm lazy) I see a few catchers, Swihart - Red Sox, Schwarber, Cubs, Plawecki - Mets, Alfaro - Rangers, Realmuto - Marlins, Suzak - Giants, McGuire - Pirates, Hedges - Padres, Sanchez - Yankees, D'Arnaud - Mets, Bethancourt - Braves (lol)

Break them down one by one where they are now

Swihart - In majors, no real competition so probably not even remotely available
    Schwarber - In majors, no real competition
    Plawecki and D'Arnaud - in Majors, one coudl be available, but it's the Mets.
    Alfaro - Traded to Phillies, given Ruiz's age, can't see him being available.
    Realmuto - Starting in the majors, no real competition
    Suzak - In majors, but with Posey and Belt on the same team, playing time is limited, could be an option.
    McGuire - young, in low minors. no real major league competition given Cervelli's age
    Hedges - In Majors, competition Norris, who could be an acceptable replacement, isn't super young but is 26 and a recent All-Star
    Sanchez - in AAA, McCann in the majors, and a rumor of interest in Wieters, if Wieters signs, Sanchez is available for sure.

So basically 3 potential options for young and controllable.

Sanchez, Plawecki/D'Arnaud, and Susak

Look at the OF options of those teams.

Yankees have Gardner, Ellsbury, and Beltran, No real OF option to replace, they don't seem super interested in spending more money than God anymore.
    Mets have Cuddyer, Lugares, and Granderson - 2 potential options to upgrade, but do we want to deal with the mets?
    Giants have Aoki, Pence, Pagan, and Blanco - Maybe an option, is an upgrade over Pagan.

It's really hard to say I see any of them giving up
    I was specifically thinking Susac or Plawecki. The Giants made more sense at the deadline since they were dealing with several injuries in the OF. I wouldn't mind trading with the Mets, but I know trading long term assets within the division is a sticky proposition for most teams.

Other options on your list could become more likely depending on where Weiters (and maybe Mac) ultimately end up playing in 2016.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I was specifically thinking Susac or Plawecki. The Giants made more sense at the deadline since they were dealing with several injuries in the OF. I wouldn't mind trading with the Mets, but I know trading long term assets within the division is a sticky proposition for most teams.

Other options on your list could become more likely depending on where Weiters (and maybe Mac) ultimately end up playing in 2016.
    If the Yankees want to send McCann back to us with a satchel of cash, I wouldn't complain that much.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I think we'll go after an OF. I see Bourn and Swisher as EYJ and Gomes. They're not going to keep us from finding a replacement. I think Hart was hoping one or two of them would have a great 2nd half while getting playing time on a team that's out of it so he could flip them in the offseason, but realizing they may be bench players for 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I wonder if we will try to get KJ back. He would be great insurance for Olivera/Bourn/Swisher.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-04-2015)