Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: TV Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Nah. Rothfuss is closer as I recall. Unlike GRRM he doesn't have unlimited funds from a TV deal. He's already read the prologue for a charity stream. Also Isn't there still 1 more SoFaI book after this one he hasn't completed. Rothfuss has more to write in terms of worldbuilding and side stories as he has already but his main arc is on it's way to a finale.

Seems like he's just struggling with figuring out how to close the story out satisfactorily.
    GRRM has read something like 200-300 pages of Winds of Winter at fan conventions (or released online).

I don’t know if Martin ever finishes his books (I think he finishes Winds of Winter, but would be shocked if he finishes A Dream of Spring).

But yea. I think Martin is more interested in world building rather than wrapping up his plot threads. That’s for sure

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    There's been more noise lately about Rothfuss being close to completing book 3. I'm not sure how he's going to do it with all the loose ends he needs to tie up.
    I have gone through this loop with A Song of Ice and Fire for 11 years. The cryptic blog posts, the “I’m finished character X’s PoV chapters”, reading sample chapters at conventions, the questions of why the author is meeting with his editors, etc etc.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    GRRM has read something like 200-300 pages of Winds of Winter at fan conventions (or released online).

I don’t know if Martin ever finishes his books (I think he finishes Winds of Winter, but would be shocked if he finishes A Dream of Spring).

But yea. I think Martin is more interested in world building rather than wrapping up his plot threads. That’s for sure
    Which I think world building is totally fine.

I know GRRM has written most of Winds of Winter. But I just don't think he wants to finish it. I think Rothfuss wants to be done, just he's a perfectionist.

Think both of thme also will struggle with backlash because of the delays. I love Rothfuss as a person and I wish he'd rip the bandaid off and just release it get the hatestorm overwith and go back to having fun creating things.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Ring of power? Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Ring of power? Anyone?
    Enjoyed it so far. I'd rate it around 7 out of 10. Pacing is a little off, but I'm willing to wait and see if we get a quality payoff.

some theories below

Spoiler: 
    The stranger isn't Sauron like all the imagery suggests but an Istari, or other maiar. I think Sauron is on the boat with Galadriel. As it seems like they're going to Numenor, setting up potential future for fall of numenor.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Enjoyed it so far. I'd rate it around 7 out of 10. Pacing is a little off, but I'm willing to wait and see if we get a quality payoff.

some theories below

Spoiler: 
    The stranger isn't Sauron like all the imagery suggests but an Istari, or other maiar. I think Sauron is on the boat with Galadriel. As it seems like they're going to Numenor, setting up potential future for fall of numenor.
    Overall I enjoyed it. The visuals were stunning and I enjoyed the actor who plays Elrond

Spoiler: 
    The stranger may very be an Istari. I wouldn't like it but it wouldn't surprise me. I have a feeling they might name him Olorion which of course would be Gandalf in a previous form. Regarding Sauron. The man on the ship with Galadriel may be him. But the fall of Numenor will be later. The rings haven't even been created yet. There is an entire war between the Elves and Numenoreans against Sauron that has to take place first (or should). And after a second rise in power and defeat (this will likely be cut out and just go with his defeat the first time) he surrenders and is taken prisoner by Numenor. He then eventually corrupts all of them and then Numenor falls.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    The diversity in Rings of Power feels a little ham fisted and forced. The Harfoot clan has the same demographics of Brooklyn for some reason. With that said, it’s a fantasy show with goblins, trolls and orcs so it’s not a real complaint.

A few things I have really liked about the show:
    1. Acting overall is top notch. Galadriel, Durin, Elrond, Nori… in particular seem well cast
    2. Visually stunning. They did what Peter Jackson (who I admire immensely) should have done with the Hobbit. Film it the same way as LotR and when you do need to use CGI go a 110%.
    3. That orc in the human’s home was terrifying. JA Bayona is incredible at horror and suspense. I hope this is how the show continues to treat orcs. Peter Jackson’s orcs were cannon fodder.

Things I don’t like:
    1. Whoever wrote this show must have loved Jane Austen. Game of Thrones was smart to not bother falling into this genre trope.
    2. The characters(outside of Durin) seem a bit too serious and. The secret sauce of Tolkien is the warmth of the characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Part of the warmth of most of Tolkien's work though is the fact that it's written from the Hobbit's POV. Which there aren't any in this world. At least not shirefolk.

That being said, I think they're doing a decent job balancing the overall tone expected from both a fantasy epic TV show and something based on Tolkien.

I hope we get some serious songs coming though. That's the one thing I haven't seen yet. The teaser hinted at the dwarves singing to stone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Episode 3 was interesting to say the least. Seems to still be building. Adar is likely big bad of the season seems like it could be a dark elf perhaps. Galadriel's savior I think is not sauron anymore, but Witch King of Angmar. Though the obsession with Forge and gifts still makes me like my OG theory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Marvel's Secret Invasion is gonna be S Tier TV or disappointing. With a Star Studded Cast (Jackson, Mendelsohn, Clarke, Colman, Freeman, Cheadle, Smolders, and Shooter McGavin) and being ran by Bradstreet who's maybe most known for producing Mr. Robot. There's high potential for this. But it could be too long and disappointing, but this could be the best Marvel TV show.

Though I'm here for Tales of the Jedi. I'm ready for it to break my heart.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    I thought that the quality of the three big shows would have Andor number one, Dragons a distant second, And Ring of Power a far three. I thought it would bomb, because the first teaser was horrible.

But so far, Andor is by far the worst IMO. Seems slow and the episodes are too short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I enjoyed the first couple of episodes of Andor. It seems like they're going for lots of mini-arcs. Iwill admit they're not doing a great job so far of differentiating characters.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    I thought that the quality of the three big shows would have Andor number one, Dragons a distant second, And Ring of Power a far three. I thought it would bomb, because the first teaser was horrible.

But so far, Andor is by far the worst IMO. Seems slow and the episodes are too short.
    Haven't watched any of Andor yet but I'm enjoying Dragons and ROP so far(even if I have minor gripes here and there as a LOTR freak).

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Last of Us trailer was released. Looks pretty good

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,299 Posts
    Last of Us trailer was released. Looks pretty good
    I have been waiting to play that first game for the PS5 remake. I’m trying to decide now if I should just wait and enjoy this show going in blind. It looks really good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I dunno, I feel like not having a heavily CG'd Ashley Johnson play Ellie is a mistake. Can't convince me otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Haven't watched any of Andor yet but I'm enjoying Dragons and ROP so far(even if I have minor gripes here and there as a LOTR freak).
    I get shat on in the LotR subreddit. But RoP so far has been more true to Tolkien's style of writing than the films. The films are brilliant, but this level of pacing, prose, etc. is much more tolkien esque than the speedy adventure with heartwarming speeches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Should have stuck with my first prediction I mean I knew it before the finale, it was cemented after the 7th episode.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Well that final of ROP was bad imo. Totally rushed and just way off course from the source material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I thought the last episode was fine. Though I wish they stuck to the order of operations and showed the crafting of the men and dwarves rings.