Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    American Crime Story is great so far, everything except the name. This is O.J.'s story and there's already an American Crime.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    I've seen more people lately calling it The People vs OJ Simpson to avoid that confusion. Even though we know how it'll all turn out, the first two episodes have been well-constructed, intriguing, sometimes even suspenseful and well-acted. I'm still not entirely sold on Travolta's performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    First episode of 11.22.63 was excellent. One of my favorite books (and one of my favorite actors), so I've been dying to watch the show. Hate that they're doing an episode per week instead of just making it all available at once. Get with the program, Hulu!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Jon Bernthal could be an amazing Punisher. How the writing does him justice.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    I've seen more people lately calling it The People vs OJ Simpson to avoid that confusion. Even though we know how it'll all turn out, the first two episodes have been well-constructed, intriguing, sometimes even suspenseful and well-acted. I'm still not entirely sold on Travolta's performance.
    Travolta is super quirky and completely unlike the real Shapiro from what I have read, but I really enjoy the character. I'm glad he's doing something weird with it. Being a Californian, it's a totally believable rich LA type.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    Another good episode of American Crime Story tonight.

Also, Better Call Saul off to a good start with Season 2. Love the Breaking Bad Easter eggs they drop in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Another good episode of American Crime Story tonight.
    I hope the show doesn't stir up more trouble.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I've been waiting on an update for the HBO mini-series The Mighty Eighth for a good year. A projected budget of $500 million would make it the most expensive thing ever captured on film.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (02-24-2016)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Watched Love, its not bad. It's not great either. It's quite meh.

First I want to say, I'm tired of the Apatow formula. We've seen it in tons of things he's produced, Knocked up, Super Bad, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, you have the nerd/dork/loser who has massive social anxiety issues land the hot chick. In Knocked up you have unemployed loser Seth Rogen getting with Katherine Heigl. In any real club scenario, he would have been weeded out in no time and hooking up wouldn't have happened. Even if hooking up happened, she would have never gone back to his loser ass. In Super Bad you have super socially awkward guys hooking up with hotter girls. Some way hotter. I'm not saying they shouldn't have love stories, but aside from Michael Cera's they weren't remotely believable. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is the biggest offender. While Jason Segal isn't a loser, somehow that goofy mother****er gets Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis. How is that believable?

Love takes this to a new level. As their new leading man is not attractive, and essentially has no redeeming social qualities. He's clingy, he's unrelatable, he just sucks. And he gets Milena Vayntraub, Gillian Jacobs and Briga Heelan? And it's not like he's successful or famous or anything. Only semi-believable relationship is Gillian Jacobs because of all her additional baggage and the intentional job they did on her makeup to make her seem more relatable.

Show ahs a few highlights, but overall it just paces like a soap opera that has a few funny moments, but mostly seems to be trying to be a bit too artistic and failing.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Better Call Saul is EXCELLENT

Black Sails is strong too.
    Ivermectin Man

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    So entice me to watch American Crime Story. I mean, it's certianly an interesting case, but I followed it 15 years ago. What is the point of sitting thru this series?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    So entice me to watch American Crime Story. I mean, it's certianly an interesting case, but I followed it 15 years ago. What is the point of sitting thru this series?
    It's fun. Even if you know the general story, it's fun to see depictions of the different facts from the case. Think of it as a TV adaptation of good book that you've read before.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Wonder how Jimmy will screw up his awesome gig. My guess based on the past episode is that he begins getting involved in shady stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This is not just the story you watched unfold on TV 15 years ago. This is the more story behind the story. So far the project seems very well done with good writing, acting and casting. The guy playing Johnny Cochran is killing it so far and has been the most intriguing character, imo.

I can't think of anything bad to say Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s performance. He's showing both sides of O.J. and playing him with plenty of restraint. He is not trying to steal the show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    You can just feel the slime coming off O.J.'s defense team in those meeting scenes. Travolta is starting to grow on me. Wasn't all that crazy about the performance at first.

I thought the scene between Ron Goldman's dad and Marcia Clark was really good the other night. That guy looks creepily identical. By the way, that's the guy who played Tony Soprano's dad playing him.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    This is not just the story you watched unfold on TV 15 years ago. This is the more story behind the story. So far the project seems very well done with good writing, acting and casting. The guy playing Johnny Cochran is killing it so far and has been the most intriguing character, imo.

I can't think of anything bad to say Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s performance. He's showing both sides of O.J. and playing him with plenty of restraint. He is not trying to steal the show.
    I mean, I lived that case 15 years ago. Watched everytime on court tv and saw all the backstories on parties involved. I may try to check it out though.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Tom Hardys new show Taboo looks like it could be a big hit on FX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Mentioned this in the SCOTUS thread, but a new show/movie? called "Confirmation" is coming about in April about the Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill hearings. Looks like it's going to make a lot of people on the right and one sitting VP very uncomfortable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I mean, I lived that case 15 years ago. Watched everytime on court tv and saw all the backstories on parties involved. I may try to check it out though.
    I was far removed from the news when it happened so have no way of knowing how much of this is old news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,022 Posts
    The only minor nagging thing about Better Call Saul is it takes place a few years before Breaking Bad but Mike's granddaughter is basically the same age?