Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love The Strides We've Seen From Mallex Smith, But...

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Love The Strides We've Seen From Mallex Smith, But...

Jackie Bradley would look awfully good perched atop our lineup and in CF for the near future.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    The price tag on JBJ is going up, up, up...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Curious to see how the Red Sox approach the off-season. There are a lot of movable parts on that team. I think John Henry ranks highest among the "not as smart as he thinks he is" types in baseball and I wonder if he would like to reconsider the signings of Pedro Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, and Rusney Castillo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Curious to see how the Red Sox approach the off-season. There are a lot of movable parts on that team. I think John Henry ranks highest among the "not as smart as he thinks he is" types in baseball and I wonder if he would like to reconsider the signings of Pedro Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez, and Rusney Castillo.
    Luckily for the Red Sox, they have plenty of money to cover up their mistakes, and they can easily sell off some parts and pay portions of the salary. Also, their farm system is consistently among the best. Even with recent promotions, they continue to restock and develop talent at a high rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    *Edit: Duplicate post

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I'm curious to see what direction Dombrowski goes with their team. I think Henry is pretty good owner, but I tend to agree with you, 50, that he has gotten to feel a little entitled based on the success they've had.

Cherington was a terrific player dev guy, but he did himself with those FA signings. If Dombrowski leaves their player dev infrastructure in place, they're going to continue to be scary, even if he starts dealing from that depth.

I doubt they'll trade JBJ, but I suppose any position player in the system is probably available (short of Mookie and Moncada). I think it's more likely that they play Castillo for a while and then deal him, if they decide to move any MLB outfielders at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    There are some cautionary aspects to Bradley's performance this year. The .387 BABIP, which is well above anything he has turned in in AA, AAA or the majors. The .319 ISO, which is a ridiculous number, and also well above what he has done in the past. The 26% strikeout rate, which IS consistent with his performance in the majors and minors in recent years. And the 161 plate appearances in the majors this year, which is a relatively small sample.

Caveat emptor.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015), jpx7 (09-08-2015)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Don't think I'm quite ready to call the Castillo deal a flop just yet. In the 33 games since he was brought back up in late July and has been getting regular playing time, Castillo's quietly slashing .317/.347/.458/.804 with 4 2Bs, 2 3Bs, 3 HRs, 20 RBIs, and 23 runs scored.

The Sox owe Rusney $16.4 million ($57,000,000) more than we owe Teheran ($40,600,000) over the same time period assuming Julio's 2020 option is picked up. I'm not ready to say I'd scream that Hart's lost his mind if he agreed to swap the two of them, but if Boston were to step up and sign Heyward to keep him away from the Yankees this winter and were willing to eat some of Castillo's money to make our books better I do think he'd have to at least consider it. They could clear some of that money by dealing Buchholz for prospects and replacing him in the rotation with Julio.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    There are some cautionary aspects to Bradley's performance this year. The .387 BABIP, which is well above anything he has turned in in AA, AAA or the majors. The .319 ISO, which is a ridiculous number, and also well above what he has done in the past. The 26% strikeout rate, which IS consistent with his performance in the majors and minors in recent years. And the 161 plate appearances in the majors this year, which is a relatively small sample.

Caveat emptor.
    Yeah, huge red flags even ignoring sample size.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Mallex Smith has responded very well this year to playing in tougher hitting environments. He could end up having an offensive prime similar to Michael Bourn's. But a big part of Bourn's value was tied up in his defense and I think it is less likely that Smith will be that kind of defender. I do think Smith's development gives us the flexibility to trade Maybin at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    I like a lot of others here have liked JBJ for a long time but I am not giving up much to trade for him. After 2 seasons of hitting like BJ Upton I am not going to give him the benefit of the doubt over 100 good at bats.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Speaking of Melvin, he's had a better season with the Pads than he did with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Speaking of Melvin, he's had a better season with the Pads than he did with us.
    It would be hard to do worse. He could not play at all and still be having a better season than he ever had as a brave. The only difference between Braves BJ and Padres Melvin is that Melvin got to hit vs the Braves. 2 HR's vs us and not more than 1 HR vs any other team.

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Mallex Smith has responded very well this year to playing in tougher hitting environments. He could end up having an offensive prime similar to Michael Bourn's. But a big part of Bourn's value was tied up in his defense and I think it is less likely that Smith will be that kind of defender. I do think Smith's development gives us the flexibility to trade Maybin at some point.
    I actually think Smith profiles a lot like Bourn defensively as well. Bourn is kind of a weird case; he had two phenomenal defensive seasons, one very good one, and everything else ranged anywhere from slightly above average to slightly below average. But he was always a guy who didn't have great instincts, didn't take great routes, etc. His defensive value was almost solely tied to his speed, which allowed him to recover from mistakes and gave him great range.

Smith, by most reports, is not a natural defender, but he does have the speed, and with a few tweaks and by learning a few things, he should be able to become an above-average defensive CF without much problem.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    It would be hard to do worse. He could not play at all and still be having a better season than he ever had as a brave. The only difference between Braves BJ and Padres Melvin is that Melvin got to hit vs the Braves. 2 HR's vs us and not more than 1 HR vs any other team.
    BJ has been better than Maybin this year... although sample size is small.

BJ Upton has a 1.1WAR in 173 PAs. That's a pace of 3.8 WAR in 600 PAs

Maybin has a 1.1 WAR in 503 PAs. That's a pace of 1.3 WAR in 600 PAs

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    BJ has been better than Maybin this year... although sample size is small.

BJ Upton has a 1.1WAR in 173 PAs. That's a pace of 3.8 WAR in 600 PAs

Maybin has a 1.1 WAR in 503 PAs. That's a pace of 1.3 WAR in 600 PAs
    And this is another reason I think WAR is a deceptive stat. I dont think anyone on either side or fan base would rather have BJ over Maybin even at the same price.

It’s over."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Jackie Bradley would look awfully good perched atop our lineup and in CF for the near future.
    Bradley is 25 and has only played in 50 games this year when he's looked good.

Look at his minor numbers, he walked pretty well, has decent pop, but also has struck out a good amount.

I'd rather gamble on Mallex then give up assets to acquire someone who may not be better.

Realize even with this insane hot streak he's on now, his career major league wRC+ is 78. For as great as he was this year in his 161 PA, he was horrifying in last year's 423 PA.

Even without doing anything else. Let's normalize his BABIP this year to .300, we see he should have 8 less hits which drops his line down to .255/.335/.574. Does that dampen your enthusiasm a bit? Add in that in the minors he never has a significant stop with an iso over .200 (right now at .319) so let's drop that down to .200 and we're looking at .255/.335/.455. Still that tempting?

Don't get me wrong, this could be legit. But given the likelyhood that it's not and he's performing way over his head, I wouldn't give up more than say Dustin Peterson for him. Even then I probably wouldn't be sold that hard on it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    And this is another reason I think WAR is a deceptive stat. I dont think anyone on either side or fan base would rather have BJ over Maybin even at the same price.
    This year BJ has been a better player. Sample size issues of course.

He's hitting .236/.302/.408 at Petco which makes him good for a 96 wRC+ Maybin is at .268/.333/.382 in Atlanta which is good for a 98 wRC+. BJ is a much better defender than Maybin (always has been) and is a much better baserunner (again, always has been) if their numbers are close offensively, BJ is clearly the superior player as he's better at running and defense.

Now sample issues are abound here, as there was a point when Maybin had about 200 PA and looked amazing (he had a 114 wRC+ in the first half, which would have looked even better if you throw out his april PA and numbers, don't know how to actually od that though)
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Bradley is 25 and has only played in 50 games this year when he's looked good.

Look at his minor numbers, he walked pretty well, has decent pop, but also has struck out a good amount.

I'd rather gamble on Mallex then give up assets to acquire someone who may not be better.

Realize even with this insane hot streak he's on now, his career major league wRC+ is 78. For as great as he was this year in his 161 PA, he was horrifying in last year's 423 PA.

Even without doing anything else. Let's normalize his BABIP this year to .300, we see he should have 8 less hits which drops his line down to .255/.335/.574. Does that dampen your enthusiasm a bit?
    Add in that in the minors he never has a significant stop with an iso over .200 (right now at .319) so let's drop that down to .200 and we're looking at .255/.335/.455. Still that tempting?

Don't get me wrong, this could be legit. But given the likelyhood that it's not and he's performing way over his head, I wouldn't give up more than say Dustin Peterson for him. Even then I probably wouldn't be sold that hard on it.
    Preach those numbers, brother.

Chipper Jones' first 602 MLB PAs and 524 ABs saw him put up a .265/.353/.450 line. Is that close to that .255/.335/.455 line you've adjusted Bradley's numbers to reflect? Apparently I don't know, so you tell me.

Obviously I'm not trying to draw comparisons between Chipper and Bradley, so before you (or everyone else) tweaks your spreadsheets to prove why they're not on the same trajectory, save it.

I love the additional clarity much of the new metrics provide for insight, but until you can hand me a printout that guarantees me that Jackie Bradley doesn't have a chance to turn into a really good player based on the numbers your computer spit out for you this early in his career, I'm still going to put a little weight on what my eyes tell me since I watch him play somewhat regularly. Many of you screamed at the top of your lungs about the fact that Maybin couldn't possibly do what he's done this year, so forgive me if I'm just a tad skeptical.

When someone's able to provide THAT kind of certainty (backed up by huge sample sizes of data of course), teams will stop hiring scouts IMO.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-08-2015 at 09:10 PM.