Thread: 11 Bold Off-season Predictions

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

11 Bold Off-season Predictions

1.) Despite frequent rumors, the Braves will disappoint is all and make no additions to the outfield next season. we will all be beyond frustrated, but be pleasantly surprised, although not bowled over, by the production we see over the course of the season.

2.) Michael Bourn will not be a Brave at the trading deadline. He may well not be a Brave on opening day. He will have a profound impact on Mallex Smith during spring training.

3.) Mallex Smith will be our starting center fielder by the end of June. In July, we will be frustrated and calling him a bust. Even TheThe. By August, we’ll be delighted.

4.) Swisher and Maybin will fill in adequately in left until 2017. The speed and contact approach will actually work.

5.) The Braves will attempt to upgrade significantly at either third or second (with Olivera playing the other) and at catcher. They will succeed at one or the other. They will succeed at both by 2017. The upgrade at second or third will be especially important, because if the upgrade is at third, it will mostly be a power hitter. If at second, it will likely be a speed/contact guy. That choice will be a major factor in solidifying the core identity of the team. I am hoping for the latter.

6.) Despite number 5, above, Jace will still see plenty of playing time. His play will look much better as a utility guy.

7.) The Braves will resign Kelly Johnson for two years. Despite his surprisingly good and consistent play, the third year option will not vest.

8.) The Braves will sign two bullpen pieces. Both will be solid but not spectacular.

9.) The Braves will not trade a significant starting pitching piece before the 2016 season begins. They will build value and evaluate before making a move before 2017.

10.) The Braves will sign two starting pitchers. One will make us nod slowly and say, “Okay. That’s solid. That makes sense. Didn’t think of that, but okay.” The other will be a blockbuster.

11.) The Braves will win at least 20 more games next season.
    Last edited by JohnAdcox; 09-08-2015 at 10:59 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-08-2015), Dalyn (09-08-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    1.) Despite frequent rumors, the Braves will disappoint is all and make no additions to the outfield next season. we will all be beyond frustrated, but be pleasantly surprised, although not bowled over, by the production we see over the course of the season.

2.) Michael Bourn will not be a Brave at the trading deadline. He may well not be a Brave on opening day. He will have a profound impact on Mallex Smith during spring training.

3.) Mallex Smith will be our starting center fielder by the end of June. In July, we will be frustrated and calling him a bust. Even TheThe. By August, we’ll be delighted.

4.) Swisher and Maybin will fill in adequately in left until 2017. The speed and contact approach will actually work.

5.) The Braves will attempt to upgrade significantly at either third or second (with Olivera playing the other) and at catcher. They will succeed at one or the other. They will succeed at both by 2017. The upgrade at second or third will be especially important, because if the upgrade is at third, it will mostly be a power hitter. If at second, it will likely be a speed/contact guy. That choice will be a major factor in solidifying the core identity of the team. I am hoping for the latter.

6.) Despite number 5, above, Jace will still see plenty of playing time. His play will look much better as a utility guy.

7.) The Braves will resign Kelly Johnson for two years. Despite his surprisingly good and consistent play, the third year option will not vest.

8.) The Braves will sign two bullpen pieces. Both will be solid but not spectacular.

9.) The Braves will not trade a significant starting pitching piece before the 2016 season begins. They will build value and evaluate before making a move before 2017.

10.) The Braves will sign two starting pitchers. One will make us nod slowly and say, “Okay. That’s solid. That makes sense. Didn’t think of that, but okay.” The other will be a blockbuster.

Not sure about 11, but if everything turns out well in the first 10--which I think are all plausible--it could happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Not sure about 11, but if everything turns out well in the first 10--which I think are all plausible--it could happen.
    Funny thing is, 20 more games is barely a wild card.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    That thethe will NOT think the Braves are winning it all.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-08-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

1.) Agreed.

2.) I bet Bourn is the 4th/5th OFer for at least half of next year, only being released when Mallex is called up. If Maybin and/or Swish are traded he will be on the team all year.

3.) Agreed. Mallex takes 100 PAs or so to adjust to every new level.

4.) Swish will play LF and Maybin CF until one is traded or Mallex is called up.

5.) They have their guy at 3B, and Jace will keep the spot warm for Albies while earning league minimum. I agree they will look to trade for a young catcher with 4+ years of control.

6.) He will play 2B, but might platoon with someone like Castro.

7.) Agreed.

8.) Agreed...obviously.

9.) Depending on what you consider "significant", I disagree. I think pitching will be the asset used to bring back the young catcher.

10.) There will be no blockbuster SP acquired. They will sign a steady MOR guy, and a couple scrap heap reclamation projects.

11.) They will win 80 games next year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    That thethe will NOT think the Braves are winning it all.
    I'm excited for his spinning
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

1. Disagree to a point. I don't think the Braves will add a gut like Braun or sign Heyward or Upton if that's what you mean. I do think they will make moves to bring back near ready minor league outfield bats.

2. Bourn, if he has any value, should be moved for what return can be had. So agree.

3. He will get his chance. Have to see if he has value moving forward.

4. No. Speed and contact won't work in LF because you have power black holes in CF and RF (and most other positions). Let's hope they hit well enough to be traded for value.

5. Letuce hope. It's a rebuild after all.

6. Jace may make it another year but not beyond.

7. Maybe.

8. Probably.

9. Possibly but hopefully not. Let's hope they can get some excellent value for Miller from a needy team (like Colorado) then replace him via offseason FA.

10. Agree

11. No shot.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 09-08-2015 at 08:03 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

1. I agree.
    2. I agree, not sure about the last part but I dont see how Bourn fits the opening day roster if Mallex is also on the opening day roster.
    3. I agree that no matter what he does we will over react to it.
    4. If by adequate you mean a .730 OPS and atrocious defense from Swisher, yeah.
    5. I think we will sign Weiters.
    6. Agreed.
    7. 2 years 10-12 million is what I expect.
    8. I think we sign a lot of fringe relievers every year and see what sticks.
    9. I disagree. I thought they would trade Teheran instead of Wood, dont think they trade Julio now.
    10. I think we only sign some really cheap veterans, someone like Harangatang.
    11. I agree, they will win atleast 20 games.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    1.) The Braves will not sign a QO free agent, and thus will retain their second round pick (should be in low 40s) in the 2016 Rule 4 draft.

2.) Mike Minor will not be with the Braves organization by OD 2016.

3.) The Braves will trade at least one of their young, MLB-ready SPs (Folty, Wisler, Perez, Banuelos) before OD.

4.) The Braves will acquire at least one veteran SP during the offseason.

5.) Christian Bethancourt will be traded.

6.) None of these players will be everyday players for the 2016 Braves: Jace Peterson, Cameron Maybin, Nick Swisher, Michael Bourn.

7.) The Braves will acquire an everyday position player via trade.

8.) The Braves will select a player in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft.

9.) The Braves OD payroll will be $110m or higher.

10.) John Coppolella will not be promoted to GM during the 2016 offseason.

11.) If the Braves finish with the worst record in MLB, Fredi Gonzalez will be fired.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-08-2015)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    1.) The Braves will not sign a QO free agent, and thus will retain their second round pick (should be in low 40s) in the 2016 Rule 4 draft.

2.) Mike Minor will not be with the Braves organization by OD 2016.

3.) The Braves will trade at least one of their young, MLB-ready SPs (Folty, Wisler, Perez, Banuelos) before OD.

4.) The Braves will acquire at least one veteran SP during the offseason.

5.) Christian Bethancourt will be traded.

6.) None of these players will be everyday players for the 2016 Braves: Jace Peterson, Cameron Maybin, Nick Swisher, Michael Bourn.

7.) The Braves will acquire an everyday position player via trade.

8.) The Braves will select a player in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft.

9.) The Braves OD payroll will be $110m or higher.

10.) John Coppolella will not be promoted to GM during the 2016 offseason.

11.) If the Braves finish with the worst record in MLB, Fredi Gonzalez will be fired.
    Just a small thing with your list. I think you hit a lot of points. I think we'll make a move for a position player with those guys and probably Rio Ruiz as the main trade points (maybe Dustin Peterson as well) and I think that guy will be LuCroy. It makes too much sense for the Braves not to make that move from an assessment of organizational talent standpoint. I don't agree with it personally. I'd rather go after a younger catcher, one who comes to mind for me is Derrick Norris. He's not great this year, but that should allow us to get him for a bit of a deal. Probably could just give up Wisler or maybe even con them into a Perez/Sims combo. Or maybe just Touki. Anyway I think we can make it happen to bring Norris into the fold. Especially since San Diego has Hedges and looks to suck next year anyway.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg