5,155 Posts
    Sayonara, Burawa.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Not that either should be purported as good statistical analysis, but it's not very fair to completely discard that point considering the roster is drastically different.
    The roster isn't that different...

Uribe played 46 games for us. KJ played 62... The rest of the team is the same or an improvement

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The roster isn't that different...

Uribe played 46 games for us. KJ played 62... The rest of the team is the same or an improvement
    Freddie missed most of that time with a wrist injury where it's questionable how close he is to 100% even still.

Granted I agree with your point as I argued a similar position (not had definite as you because I do think the approach jargon holds some weight). But a turnover of 3/8 of your lineup is pretty significant. The only true regression players were Maybin and Jace.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 53s54 seconds ago
    The #Braves have now lost 27 of their past 30 road games. This was their 15th shutout loss of the season.

Jeff Schultz ‏@JeffSchultzAJC 48s49 seconds ago
    #Braves lose. The win "streak" ends at 1. They haven't won consecutive games in a month. (Aug 6-8, 3 in a row).
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Freddie missed most of that time with a wrist injury where it's questionable how close he is to 100% even still.

Granted I agree with your point as I argued a similar position (not had definite as you because I do think the approach jargon holds some weight). But a turnover of 3/8 of your lineup is pretty significant. The only true regression players were Maybin and Jace.
    Uribe and KJ also regressed when they left too. KJ was already on the way down before he was traded. Whatever brief moment the team had that didn't suck wasn't going to last. In fact you could say Swisher coming over counteracts anything we missed when those two left. In reality the main thing that fueled our offense earlier was the cluster luck. That wasn't going to last. And besides that what has really failed the team the last two months or so is the pitching. It's getting it's face bashed in on a nightly basis.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Per Brian Jordan, this team is not fun to watch, and guys are playing selfish baseball and trying to pad their stats as opposed to playing the game the right way--ABC baseball, putting the ball in play, avoiding strikeouts, etc, as they did in the first half.

If that sounds silly and incoherent, it's because it's essentially a direct quote from Brian Jordan and, well, he's Brian Jordan.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-09-2015), jpx7 (09-09-2015), yeezus (09-09-2015)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    That's more like it, boys!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Per Brian Jordan, this team is not fun to watch, and guys are playing selfish baseball and trying to pad their stats as opposed to playing the game the right way--ABC baseball, putting the ball in play, avoiding strikeouts, etc, as they did in the first half.

If that sounds silly and incoherent, it's because it's essentially a direct quote from Brian Jordan and, well, he's Brian Jordan.
    I wonder if he realizes we still don't strike out and always put the ball in play? I guess when the hits fall it's playing the game the right way and when they don't it's being selfish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    So watching Olivera now for a few games I have a couple of observations. First he's being way too aggressive, but I think that has more to do with being in the majors for the first time and trying to do too much. You can see the look on his face when he swings at a bad pitch. It's just a look of why the hell did I swing at that? I think once the game slows down for him he'll be ok. The second observation is that this guy has more power than I thought he did. The fly out to CF tonight was a good example. I honestly thought he hit a bloop single on that one, but instead it almost wound up being a double. He's a strong dude. Bottom line is that I think he's going to hit up here if he can stay healthy. That's a huge if though.
    thank you weso1!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-09-2015), buck75 (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

If anything they're being incredibly unselfish. Being terrible so that we can get the first pick.
    thank you weso1!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (09-09-2015), JohnAdcox (09-09-2015), jpx7 (09-09-2015), Julio3000 (09-08-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    If anything they're being incredibly unselfish. Being terrible so that we can get the first pick.
    Forget taking one for the team. The whole roster is taking, like, 30 for the team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Uribe and KJ also regressed when they left too. KJ was already on the way down before he was traded. Whatever brief moment the team had that didn't suck wasn't going to last. In fact you could say Swisher coming over counteracts anything we missed when those two left. In reality the main thing that fueled our offense earlier was the cluster luck. That wasn't going to last. And besides that what has really failed the team the last two months or so is the pitching. It's getting it's face bashed in on a nightly basis.
    Well sure. But you also can't discount the effect of a hitting coach preaching a new approach based off a non-comparison sampling of 80 games.

There is a vast gulf that exists between good approach, good results and cluster luck uber alles. I don't think that gulf can be bridged with an explanation of "regression to the mean" either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I wonder if he realizes we still don't strike out and always put the ball in play? I guess when the hits fall it's playing the game the right way and when they don't it's being selfish.
    Not agreeing or disagreeing with Jordan, but we've struck out 25 times the last 3 games

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    So watching Olivera now for a few games I have a couple of observations. First he's being way too aggressive, but I think that has more to do with being in the majors for the first time and trying to do too much. You can see the look on his face when he swings at a bad pitch. It's just a look of why the hell did I swing at that? I think once the game slows down for him he'll be ok. The second observation is that this guy has more power than I thought he did. The fly out to CF tonight was a good example. I honestly thought he hit a bloop single on that one, but instead it almost wound up being a double. He's a strong dude. Bottom line is that I think he's going to hit up here if he can stay healthy. That's a huge if though.
    The front leg bend kind of threw me off when I first saw his swing, but then I looked at Yunel Escobar's swing and he does a similar thing with his front leg. He sure passes the eyeball test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not agreeing or disagreeing with Jordan, but we've struck out 25 times the last 3 games
    We've had more high-K guys in the lineup the last several days. Bourn instead of Cam, Swisher, Olivera for now . . . that may explain it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I also think he's going to be fine, if healthy. He's in his first go-round and he's never seen big-league quality breaking stuff. He may not light it up the rest of the way, but I do think that restraint is the order of the day.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-09-2015)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's 3 games. Braves are still at the top of the league in lowest K%.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    I also think he's going to be fine, if healthy. He's in his first go-round and he's never seen big-league quality breaking stuff. He may not light it up the rest of the way, but I do think that restraint is the order of the day.
    That, and no "spring training” to speak of. I’m happy so far.