Thread: Why is this allowed

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Why is this allowed

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/h...prim/32563749/

I know sturg is gonna come in and talk about the free market and it working or something like that. But reality is that we're monetizing people's ability to live. If this isn't criminal, I don't know what is.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    So you want to cap the price of something that took lots of money, time, and research to develop?

Why don't you develop it yourself and undercut them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    So you want to cap the price of something that took lots of money, time, and research to develop?

Did you read? THey didn't develop. THey bought out the company who did develop it and jacked up the price.

And because of the crazy laws we have for prescription drugs in this country you can't do what you're describing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Again to stress, this drug was discovered in 1953. I'm pretty sure by now all R&D costs have been recouped several times over. What we're seeing here is pure greed. A company buying out the patent and then selling it for 5000% the cost. It's cruel and unusual punishment for people who need this drug to survive.

I think companies should be able to recoup R&D, Idon't think they should be allowed to do half the **** they get away with in the US. Like repatenting a drug cause of a new use, or a number of other issues.

Not to mention the universal issue of why the **** do we pay so much more? How can we let drug companies rape us for profits when the rest of the world has them by the short ones.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

What a weird stance to take for a so called pro lifer
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Did you read? THey didn't develop. THey bought out the company who did develop it and jacked up the price.

And because of the crazy laws we have for prescription drugs in this country you can't do what you're describing.
    Yes - they spent a lot of money to buy the drug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

Yes - they spent a lot of money to buy the drug.
    spin that **** dog

worship the almighty dollar
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    spin that **** dog

worship the almighty dollar
    Seriously - go develop a better drug and undercut them on price. Send them out of business.

What's stopping you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Seriously - go develop a better drug and undercut them on price. Send them out of business.

What's stopping you?
    that has nothing to do with the bull**** you are trying to spin.

in this scenario, i just need to find someone else who did it well, buy it and jack the price up

you have strange bed fellows for being a so called pro lifer

but i really do think you went off the deep end and pretty much nothing but a troll these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    that has nothing to do with the bull**** you are trying to spin.

in this scenario, i just need to find someone else who did it well, buy it and jack the price up

you have strange bed fellows for being a so called pro lifer

but i really do think you went off the deep end and pretty much nothing but a troll these days
    Ok, go buy a company that developed a better drug. There is nothing stopping you.

I'm sick of people bitching about companies trying to make money. You want to cap the price of how much they can charge for the drug? Where does that end?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/h...prim/32563749/

I know sturg is gonna come in and talk about the free market and it working or something like that. But reality is that we're monetizing people's ability to live. If this isn't criminal, I don't know what is.
    I believe in patent laws because I know how insanely expensive it is to develop these drugs (and 50 other drugs that failed and never made it to market).. If you want to cap the price, that's fine, but you won't have companies that will be able to develop them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    A good example of something like this is Gilead Sciences. They bought a company for $12B that developed a drug to cure hepatitis C.

As you may have guessed, $12B is a lot of freakin money. Gilled priced the drug at $84,000 for a 12 week treatment. The left went crazy. The government went crazy. How can this company price gouge like this. They have a cure!!!

What everyone always ignores is the time and money it took them to get that cure. Forget the $12B, Gilead tried for years to develop their own solution and failed. They spent billions of dollars on research and didn't succeed. They then spent another $12B to attain the drug.

Now - they have a drug that is a life saving medicine. They are charging a lot of money for it. They have too if they want to recoup their investment in the drug, and then make a profit on top of that. I have no problem with that. You obviously do.

What has happened since. Johnson & Johnson developed their own Hep C treatment. Abbvie developed their own Hep C treatment. Merck is going to launch theirs in 2016. Gilled is now charging $35K per 12 week treatment. Crazy want competition does.

If the left succeeds in capping the cost of the drug... good luck having companies invest in trying to find breakthrough cures. It will never happen
    Last edited by sturg33; 09-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I believe in patent laws because I know how insanely expensive it is to develop these drugs (and 50 other drugs that failed and never made it to market).. If you want to cap the price, that's fine, but you won't have companies that will be able to develop them.

This is 100% accurate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Ok, go buy a company that developed a better drug. There is nothing stopping you.

I'm sick of people bitching about companies trying to make money. You want to cap the price of how much they can charge for the drug? Where does that end?
    thanks for your input on the matter. it was ground breaking and a breath of fresh air and is some revolutionary type thinking.

how do you balance your worship for money with your views on being pro life and religious?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    thanks for your input on the matter. it was ground breaking and a breath of fresh air and is some revolutionary type thinking.

how do you balance your worship for money with your views on being pro life and religious?
    I don't worship money. I'm just not envious of everyone who has it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If you want to cap the price, that's fine, but you won't have companies that will be able to develop them.
    of course we would

the market would adapt to it

that comment is as silly as saying, "if you raise taxes, rich people will just leave"

as if someone else won't step into that spot and be like "that seems like a good amount of money to me" etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    I don't worship money. I'm just not envious of everyone who has it.
    it's interesting that you are trying to go this way of thinking in the last couple days

i'm envious of 12 people and not one has anything to do with a dollar, much less a penny.

but hey, if you think this is about "rich envy" (or whatever term you want to use), have at it. i love to laugh and that is a good one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    it's interesting that you are trying to go this way of thinking in the last couple days

i'm envious of 12 people and not one has anything to do with a dollar, much less a penny.

but hey, if you think this is about "rich envy" (or whatever term you want to use), have at it. i love to laugh and that is a good one
    90% of your non-Sarah Palin posts these days are complaining about how much money other people are making.

Go find a meme for me, if you don't mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    90% of your non-Sarah Palin posts these days are complaining about how much money other people are making.

Go find a meme for me, if you don't mind
    you're really going to the well of desperation i see

it's sad what you have become

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    you're really going to the well of desperation i see

it's sad what you have become
    lol