Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looking ahead to 2016

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    It's not comprehension, as much as just tired of you endlessly recycling the same comments. Still anxiously awaiting yet another "he doesn't love baseball" or maybe even a fat joke. Hilarious stuff.

I don't think you are coming across the way you are wanting too. I don't know either of you so I am objective, but you basically attacked his position and dismissed his view and then whined about being attacked. He was saying that the argument that the Cards were good before Heyward thus Heyward isn't the reason the Cards are good is like saying the Braves won before (91,92) Maddux, and then even before Chipper and Andruw. So those guys didn't make those teams great also.

Another thing to look at is the Cards should easily win 100 games this year.. you know when the last time they did that.. 2005, you know who was on that team.. Sure they won when Albert left, but that doesn't mean that Albert didn't help them be a better team, just like Heyward has made the Cardinals a better team.. no chance they are ahead of the Pirates right now without Heyward.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-28-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Thought this was the best place to put this . . . a few DOB comments on 2016 from his chat today.

DOB, the interview with John S the other day. He said he will not let a season like that happen again. What do you think, in your opinion, the Braves will do in the offseason, keeping what John said in mind.
    by Jon 11:46 AM

For one thing, they'll make sure they have a solid bullpen. If they'd just had a strong bullpen this season, they could have won another 10-15 games, easily. And it could have made a big difference in terms of morale IMO (not to mention what it could have done for Shelby Miller). Add at least one good hitter and one proven veteran starter to help guide the rotation, in addition to a couple of proven relievers in addition to those you have returning from injuries, and I think you have a competitive team in '16. Not a division winner, but a decent team that could get momentum going toward a big season in '17.
    by David O'Brien 11:50 AM
    Do we have high chance to re-sign A.J MVPierzynski?
    by hate uggla 12:04 PM

Yes, I think that makes a lot of sense for both sides.
    by David O'Brien 12:04 PM
    Do you feel like the Braves will focus more on the trade market in regards to offensive help or could you see a Dexter Fowler/Gerardo Parra or Matt Wieters type signing? Thanks for everything David!
    by Matt 12:05 PM

They've long preferred trade market to building through free agency, though they obviously have made exceptions, mostly lesser-dollar to middle-sized contracts (Pierzynski, Gomes, Johnson, etc from the low-end contracts, and Markakis was a four-year, $44M deal). Could get involved in bidding for a mid-rotation starter or LF, but I wouldn't expect them to be in on the biggest-contract FAs at either position. As for Wieters, they like him, but injuries and Boras representation seem like significant drawbacks in that being a potential target.
    by David O'Brien 12:07 PM
    What's the word on the catcher position going into 2016? Has Bethancourt played his way back onto the team or will they give most of the playing time to AJ next year if they can bring him back?
    by Chris 12:21 PM

TBA. But I don't think you can look at Bethancourt's performance at major-league level before or since he was sent down and say he's played his way back onto team. I think they'll see if any trade interest, but doubt it'll be significant.
    by David O'Brien 12:21 PM
    Are we planning on spending any money this offseason? Or are we just gonna consider next year a wash too?
    by Adam 12:29 PM

Yes. Don't know exactly how much yet, as they've not said (and might never say) specifically what payroll plans are. But I've been told that $25M-$30M is good estimate for how much they'll have to spend this winter.
    by David O'Brien 12:32 PM
    Is it too early to discard hope for next year's team being, at the least, competitive?
    by Savdon 12:38 PM

Not at all. As I described earlier, with a few reasonable moves this winter, and then if they'd avoid trading away key pieces during the 2016 season, no reason Braves can't be competive next season. Not a division winner, barring major injuries for Mets, but competitive as in .500 or above.
    by David O'Brien 12:40 PM
    http://livesports.ajc.com/Event/AJC_...edical?Page=36

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Dave O'Bum, to say the least, I am not a fan of his.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-29-2015), goldfly (09-29-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Are we subject to JS's Boras restrictions again?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I am ok with that for now.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am ok with that for now.
    I don't expect--or even want--us to be big players on the free-agent market. I just think that that is a dumb**** way of doing business, as well as being unproductive and unnecessarily petty.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don't expect--or even want--us to be big players on the free-agent market. I just think that that is a dumb**** way of doing business, as well as being unproductive and unnecessarily petty.
    Yeah, cutting yourself off from the best agent is a great way of cutting yourself off from the best players, which is a great way of losing 90+ games a year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I am fine not dealing with BorAss this offseason. There is no reason to spend everything you have on one player. The Nats have 7 BorAss clients and it is going to ruin them.. When we are ready to compete for real, then entertain the idea.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Yeah, cutting yourself off from the best agent is a great way of cutting yourself off from the best players, which is a great way of losing 90+ games a year.
    yes because the likes of
    Price or Zack Greinke is garbage

or maybe Yoenis Cespedes or Heyward or Jup for left..

yes the BorAss would keep us from getting the real talent in the league..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Are we subject to JS's Boras restrictions again?
    I don't see Boras as a deal-breaker. Probably not even Paul Kinzer. The only deal-breakers I'm aware of are contract provisions for no-trade and opt-out (see Heyward, Jason).

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I think the point on the bullpen is the one that rings most true (and loudest) for me. Winning another 10 games wouldn't have meant squat for this team (in fact, winning that many games would have hurt our long-term chances), but it's the way the team was losing that bugged me the most. I think the only guy currently in the bullpen besides Vizcaino who will likely be on the team next year is Marksberry and he's probably going to be in a limited role.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I agree but burawa could also battle marksberry for a spot

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Burawa sounds perfect for the Mukake rebuild.
    Forever Fredi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (09-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Thats a blessing not a curse. There is no sure fire way for the Braves to become perennial cellar dwellers than by spending 20+ million a year on one of his players. Borass wants teams to pay for what a player has done instead of what they will do. Unless we have a 200 million dollar payroll to shrug off bad assets we cant even afford 1. Signing a Borass contract to a big contract and having it work out for your team is about as rare as ****ing a unicorn.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (09-29-2015)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Thats a blessing not a curse. There is no sure fire way for the Braves to become perennial cellar dwellers than by spending 20+ million a year on one of his players. Borass wants teams to pay for what a player has done instead of what they will do. Unless we have a 200 million dollar payroll to shrug off bad assets we cant even afford 1. Signing a Borass contract to a big contract and having it work out for your team is about as rare as ****ing a unicorn.
    It's not rare actually, well only for us that is. I guess. Maddux is the exception to the rule.
    Forever Fredi

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Don't forget andruw jones as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Don't forget andruw jones as well.
    An andruw, markakis, Bourn, and swisher outfield would make us the east favorite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Andruw negotiated for himself if I remember correctly.