Thread: Josh Johnson?

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Josh Johnson?

Interested in Josh Johnson? What would we give up to take him on for the rest of the season?

Here's a suggestion-who hangs up first?

Braves get Johnson and Bonifacio (if he clears waivers) but have to pay the rest of Johnson's 2013 salary (about $4 million)
    Jays get Todd Cunningham

Before I get the MURPH label, hear me out:

Johnson has not been good this year, but before he was hurt he was a DOMINANT top of the rotation starter. That is the only thing the Braves really lack for a deep postseason run. Would coming back to the NL and being in a pennant race get him re-started? If so, then we'd be looking at Johnson, Minor, Teheran in a 5 game postseason rotation, with Beachy, Medlen, Wood, and Maholm available in the bullpen to join Kimbrel, Avilan, Walden, and Downs. That would be a KILLER pitching staff. But (1) can Johnson rebound to pre-injury form and (2) is he worth what it would cost ($4 million plus whatever player we sent to Toronto). I added Bonifacio in my scenario because I know the Braves want an infielder who can hit lefty.

Feel free to add your own scenario. I just thought Johnson was worth discussing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think we should consider both Johnson and Lincecum.

There are two big issues I see though in regards to acquiring them:

1) Beachy seems to be putting things together quicker than most would have guessed, so we may not even need another starter.

2) We may have to give up a prospect that The Jays and Giants view are better than the prospect they can get with their extra draft pick they are likely to receive. So, we aren't just going to be able to get them without giving up a very solid prospect.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I don't see the point honestly. No guarantee he's better than our guys this year or in the future. I wouldn't start him over Minor, Teheran, Meds, and prob not Beachy in the playoffs, either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post

2) We may have to give up a prospect that The Jays and Giants view are better than the prospect they can get with their extra draft pick they are likely to receive. So, we aren't just going to be able to get them without giving up a very solid prospect.
    That's the key issue. From what I've read the Giants and Blue Jays plan to make qualifying offers for Lincecum and Johnson. I don't think they are bluffing. It would make sense for them to do so.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I don't see the Jays making the offer. Too risky he would absolutely accept

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't see the Jays making the offer. Too risky he would absolutely accept
    What kind of performance would you expect from Johnson in 2014.

Would you prefer Johnson on a one year deal at whatever the qualifying offer is or Ervin Santana at whatever he will get in the free agent market?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What kind of performance would you expect from Johnson in 2014.

Would you prefer Johnson on a one year deal at whatever the qualifying offer is or Ervin Santana at whatever he will get in the free agent market?
    Neither. Santan will get overpaid and Johnson has shown too liitle to warrant the $14+ million he'd get in qualifying offer. I think the best Johnson could hope for on the open market is like 3/24 and that's pushing it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Neither. Santan will get overpaid and Johnson has shown too liitle to warrant the $14+ million he'd get in qualifying offer. I think the best Johnson could hope for on the open market is like 3/24 and that's pushing it
    I'm trying to look at this from the Blue Jay's perspective. Is there a better/more cost effective alternative for filling one of the spots in their rotation? What would it be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm trying to look at this from the Blue Jay's perspective. Is there a better/more cost effective alternative for filling one of the spots in their rotation? What would it be?
    Probably someone like Paul Maholm. Why pay Johnson $14 million to be terrible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Probably someone like Paul Maholm. Why pay Johnson $14 million to be terrible?
    That's why I asked what you would expect from Johnson in 2014. While I'm asking what would you expect from Maholm?

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    How about no?

Neither are an upgrade over Wood/Beachy and would cost a decent prospect to boot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I'd like Bonifacio but don't see him falling to us. I'm not interested in Johnson, he's not an upgrade over what we have. What he did in the past is in the past. He might improve a little in the NL, but not enough for cost in trade nor enough to replace Wood or Beachy.

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    From what I've heard, Josh Johnson, just isn't the same pitcher he used to be. He's lost velocity on his fastball and his offseason stuff just isn't as good as it used to be. That's why he has gotten hammered this season. I'd much rather have Tim Lincecum. And Emilio Bonifacio is awful. I don't know why Braves fans want him. He's an infield version of Jose Constanza.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    From what I've heard, Josh Johnson, just isn't the same pitcher he used to be. He's lost velocity on his fastball and his offseason stuff just isn't as good as it used to be. That's why he has gotten hammered this season. I'd much rather have Tim Lincecum. And Emilio Bonifacio is awful. I don't know why Braves fans want him. He's an infield version of Jose Constanza.
    Constanza and Bonifacio types are good bench options, you just don't want them as starters. However, I wish Bonifacio was truly an infield version of Constanza. Say what you will about Constanza but he saves runs playing the corner outfield spots. He can really go get it with his speed. Bonifacio is average at best but his value is that he can play so many positions. Plus he can get hot and steal a lot of bases if he gets on too. I'll take him over Janish at the plate any day.