Thread: Major League Impact of Trades madeS

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Major League Impact of Trades madeS

At all the trades we made and their major league impacts.

Braves made a heck of a lot of moves this year. I will probably forget a few of them, I am human.

Miller and Jenkins for Heyward and Walden - Well this is a great example of a win now for the Cardinals and a long term win for the Braves. Even with a slightly low walk rate, Heyward has shown some great things this year, taking hwat he did last year with a more normalized BABIP and some more power he's shown offensive numbers like he has in the past with his strong defense. Miller has been amazing for the Braves, and has 3 years of control. I have reservations about his results this year, but he has pitched as well or better and pretty much any Braves pitcher in the past few years. Jenkins has had no major league impact, Walden has had minimal because of injuries.

Viz for TLS - Shortest title I'll have for sure. This wound up being a win this year for the Braves. Which is very rare when you send a position prospect for a reliever. TLS has played in a scant 22 games for the Cubs because of injury, hardly anything you can read off this year. I didn't like this trade when we made it, but you can't argue that this year even with Viz's suspension we won. I think we lose long term though. TLS has looked pretty good in his limited Cubs time.

Wren for QUintana - no major league impact.

Jace, Fried, Dustin, and Smith for Justin and NOrthcraft - Only 2 major league contributors in this trade. Jace got off to a hot start before cooling way off. Showing the side I warned people about earlier in the year. Still compiled a respectable 0.8 fWAR which is acceptable for someone pre-arb and on a losing team. Hopefully long term he'll cut down on the Ks as that should get his offensive potential back above average for the position. Justin got off to a scalding hot start and settled down a bit. Still a very good season with a 3.7 fWAR. He seems to be settling into the same basic season he had last year with a fraction better defense.

Kurcz for Varvaro - Kurcz is in the minors. Varvaro had minimal time with the Sox and wasn't really good. It was a minor move, likely no real winner between the 2.

Briceno and O'Dowd for Hale and Schlosser - Braves got no major league production back from this small move, Schlosser was in the minors (hurt I think?) and Hale played a bit in the majors to not good returns.

Cash for Hector Daniel Rodriguez - No major league impact

Folty, Ruiz, and Thurman for Gattis and Hoyt - This trade didn't work out the way Houston wanted it to. Gattis has not been mashing like he did in Atlanta. That plus DH'ing has led him to a terrible -0.3 fWAR. THis was a trade we all expected to win. But give nthe recent FOlty news, his bad production as well, and Ruiz's meh so far (and being blocked by Olivera) this may wind up being a trade no one wins.

Sanchez for Kubitza and Hyatt - Sanchez hasn't made a major league impact (at 18 I don't think anyone would expect him to) neither has Hyatt, but Kubitza did break in a bit, 18 games and 39 PA of suckage for the Angels. Showing exactly why I didn't want him long term. Strikign out almost 40% of the time, with no power to speak of.

ManBan for Shreve and Carpenter - ManBan hasn't been super great, but he's young, I'm more concerned about his elbow. Hopefully it will be OK, Carpenter has sucked pretty fiercely. Which shocks me, or it means McDowell is a wizard with relievers. Shreve who I refuse to call by his given name, has posted a solid ERA with bad peripherals for the Yankees. Overall Yankees have won this trade now. But if ManBan is healthy, we kill long term.

Trepagnier for Salcedo - No major league impact (and with these 2 there may never be one)

Furney for Cash - No major league impact

Cahill for Elander - Cahill sucked a big one. IN a move where Hart took on salary to hopefully get value, he got none.

Maybin, Quinten, Paroubeck and Wisler for Kimbrel and Upton - Maybin wound up being a decent salary dump. Wasn't great for us but basically earned his salary which was more than he did for SD. Wisler has potential. but no good major league production yet. Kimbrel is bossing it, he basically has the sameperipherals as lastyear sans a blip in HR. Upton has been surprisingly good for San Diego. Only 200 PA. Bt he has good offensive numbers and usual average defense has made him the better player than Maybin. Of course that happens after he leaves Atlanta.

Uribe and Withrow for Callaspo, Stults, Thomas and Jaime - Weird trade, Uribe rocked for us. Hit, played D and overall was one of the best players on this team for the 46 gamees he was here. Callaspo was mediocre for the dodgers, Thomas was moderately effective in his short stint with the dodgers, Jaime, Withrow, and Stults had no major league impact, despite major league resumes. We easily won this trade short term. I don't know if losing THomas or Jaime will make a difference long term or not. But I doubt it.

Arroyo and Touki for Gosselin - OK this one did us no good on the major league level, Arroyo didn't pitch at all. Gosselin has been replacement level for Arizona and only has 50 PA. This trade was us Buying Touki.

IFA money for Martin, Derks, Paroubeck, Fulenchek, and Kurcz. No major league impact aside from Martin I believe, who wasn't doing much in Oakland. Figured I'd lump them together because it would save a lot of space.

Gant and Whalen for Uribe, KJ, and Cash - Uribe has been slightly less stellar but still very solid for the Mets, hitting slightly below average for his position but playing very good defensively. 0.8 fWAR in 141 PA is pretty good. KJ has also been solid for the Mets, compiling a 0.3 fWAR in 115 PA. Solid trade for the Mets to get 2 good role players for their stretch run for 2 not top prospects.

Olivera, Rodriguez, and Bird for Wood, Peraza, Johnson, Avilan, Arroyo, and Cash - Olivera has had a meh debut. But it's a small sample, no good early returns, Wood has been a bit up and down for LA, but overall a positive pitcher compiling a 0.4 fWAR which is way below his Braves standard, Peraza had a short cup of coffee in the majors, didn't really do much but showed some really solid promise with better than expected power. If his BABIP had been closer to .350 than .150, he would have looked pretty good overall. But that's what happens in small samples. Avilan has had bad ERA luck, but really strong peripherals for LA.Johnson has sucked pretty harshly, but the majority of that is from a very unlucky HR/FB rate, 42.9% is impossible, that means like every hitter you face is Ryan Howard in 2006 before his bat slowed down and everyone realized he was pretty much Pedro Cerrano IRL.

Bourn Swisher, and Cash for Chris Johnson - Bourn has sucked pretty fiercely. But the good news is that it's basically all BABIP. If his BABIP was .330 like it was for his career or in Cleveland earlier this year he looks more respectable, his slash would be, .263/.330/.305 Power is still way too low, but he'd be at least a replacement level player at that point. Swisher has been quite solid. He can't field to save his life, but his bat has been solid. A team who needs a DH really bad should take a flyer on him next year. Chris Johnson has done quite well for Cleveland, but when you actually dig into the stats you'll realize it's because h'es primarily playing against lefties, 25 PA vs lefties vs 38 vs righties. Half the starters in the AL aren't lefties so it's obvious the Indians are pretty much trying to only use him in situations where he can succeed. Which is smart.

Cash for Eric Young Jr - Still am baffled with Fredi's enamoration with EYJ, He's gone on to still suck very hard for the Mets.

Valenzuela for Gomes and Cash - Gomes hasn't done much for KC so far, he's been OKish with the bat but not good enough for a primary hitter, Really think we won this trade big time even if the Royals got Gomes for basically free. Valenzuela has looked really good so far in A ball. Obviously has a long way to go, but looks like he could be a solid bench player.

I believe that does it. Obviously some trades are hard to analyze their impact on this year, such as the deadline deals.Especially for hte Dodgers as their deal could be heavily influenced on playoff success of those guys. Obviously most of our trades were made with a long term goal. So we were expected to lose this year. Some though involved players with Control like Wood or Gattis or Peraza so watching how they work out long term against us will be interesting.

Overall the Braves didn't do a half bad job at the rebuild. I'm not even in the smallest amoutn a fan of the Olivera trade. To me basically everything they did before that trade made sense, everything from that trade until the Gomes trade didn't really. But I digress. We've got a stable of arms, so I think it would be wise to try to move Julio and/or Miller to get an impact position player and hope some of our many high value arms work out.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-22-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Weird to see Cahill actually pitching serious innings (and doing alright) for the Cubs.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Weird to see Cahill actually pitching serious innings (and doing alright) for the Cubs.
    Yeah. Guy has a nice arm, but he has **** for mechanics which is why he's had injury issues and no control. He doesn't even have like say Medlen mechanic issues where he has inefficient mechanics that lead to injury, he has bad mechanics.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    IFA money for Martin, Derks, Paroubeck, Fulenchek, and Kurcz. No major league impact aside from Martin I believe, who wasn't doing much in Oakland. Figured I'd lump them together because it would save a lot of space.
    Coincidently the reason the trades were made in the first place.