Thread: Free Agent Predictions Thread

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts

Free Agent Predictions Thread

One pops up all the time. But we have the top FAs and guess where they wind up. I'm gonna use power rankings from MLBtrade rumors for the top 10 then fill out with notable players who I think will sign long term contracts worth some money and ignoring any good player with an option as I assume it will be picked up.

1. David Price - TOR
    2. Jason Heyward - STL
    3. Justin Upton - SD
    4. Chris Davis - BAL
    5. Yeonis Cespedes - NYM
    6. Zack Greinke - LAD
    7. Alex GOrdon - KC
    8. Johnny Cueto - KC
    9. Jordan Zimmermann - WAS
    10. Mike Leake - SF
    11. Ben Zobrist - KC
    12. Ian Desmond - WAS
    13. Matt Wieters - BAL
    14. Howie Kenddrick - LAD
    15. Asdrubal Cabrera - TB
    16. Dexter Fowler - CHC
    17. Denard Span - WAS
    18. Colby Rasmus - HOU
    19. Yovanni Gallardo - TEX
    20. Scott Kazmir - HOU
    21. Jeff Samardzija - CHW (though he sucked this year, someone will pay for his 2014 performance)
    22. Joakim SOria - PIT

I'll stop there and add folks if people agree someone should be added whom I overlooked.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I'll do the Top 10 in the list

1. David Price - Yankees
    2. Jason Heyward - St. Loo
    3. Justin Upton - Boston
    4. Chris Davis - Mariners
    5. Yoenis Cespedes - Mutts
    6. Zack Greinke - LAD
    7. Alex Gordon - Yankees
    8. Johnny Cueto - Boston
    9. Jordan Zimmermann - Giants
    10. Mike Leake - Braves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Early predictions

Price - Stays in Toronto. SOmeone said it will be dangerous for the rest of the AL when Toronto realizes it's a big market team, and I think this is part of them coming out as a big market team
    Heyward - Cubs, makes too much sense, Cubs have money, Epstein is stat friendly, Heyward is a start who's highly marketable, and they have many OF needs.
    Justin - Red Sox - can't imagine anything cooler than him smashing the ball over and off the Green Monster
    Davis - Baltimore, can't imagine him leaving or Baltimore letting him leave. They were perfect fits for each other
    Cespedes - Mets, given the spark he provided the Mets down the stretch he'll be there again.
    Greinke - Dodgers, assume like when Sabathia opted out with the Yankees or before A-Rod opted out with Yankees a deal will be reached to keep him around to continue to pair with Kershaw
    Cueto - Tigers, Tigers will have some money to play with and are always trying to compete. Rotation has been a big issue for them, could see them going after Price, but I think they'll instead focus on Cueto and another FA pitcher
    Zimmermann - Yankees. I was trying to imagine what top FA signs with the Yankees as they seeming grab one per year and he makes the most sense to me.
    Leake - Padres, Padres pitching was a huge let down this year, I don't think they'll go after one of the really top guys though. Leake fits.
    Zobrist - Yankees, yankees IF depth is suspect at best. Grigorious is obviously a solid long term SS, Headley and Drew have been meh. A super sub like ZObrist is someone they're truly missing. He can probably get 300-400 PA with that team filling in for any injury, playing for poor performers and also remember he plays a mean corner OF as well.
    Desmond - Yankees, I see this as the move to replace Drew. Down year for Desmond this year, and I don't think the Nats want to keep him with Turner and I'm sure other teams could be a fit. I'm probably just being lazy and assuming the Yankees see their glaring hole
    Wieters - Baltimore. he could sign with a number of teams but I think Baltimore will try to keep him and succeed.
    Kendrick - Eh, I don't know about this one. Nationals? Have him play 2B, move Rendon to 3B his natural position? I don't know about him. Given the glut of SS prospects who've come up the number of positions for 2B on teams with hopes of winning is not a lot.
    Cabrera - Same, I'll guess he stays in Tampa
    Fowler - I'm thinking Rangers. Martin is talented, but he can't hit. Could stay with Cubs, but I see them making a move for
    Span - Cubs. To go with Heyward in the new look OF. Soler, Heyward, and Span is a heck of an OF to build around.
    Rasmus - Houston. THink he works well for that team and I think they keep him
    Gallardo - Texas, can't see them letting him go.
    Kazmir - Texas. I can see him on tons of teams, but Ithink Texas wants to get one more arm.
    Samardzija - Hard to say, he stank last year but I think that may let a team like the Giants or Padres go after him.
    Soria - Angels, as a traditionalist Scioscia vlaues a closer. Soria would be a welcome addition to that team.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Price - ATL
    Heyward - ATL

/thread
    Forever Fredi

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-22-2015), Prikichi (09-22-2015), UNCBlue012 (09-22-2015)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    1. David Price - ATL
    2. Jason Heyward - STL
    3. Justin Upton - SEA
    4. Chris Davis - NYY
    5. Yeonis Cespedes - NYM
    6. Zack Greinke - LAD
    7. Alex GOrdon - HOU
    8. Johnny Cueto - DET
    9. Jordan Zimmermann - CWS
    10. Mike Leake - SF
    11. Ben Zobrist - HOU
    12. Ian Desmond - WAS
    13. Matt Wieters - BAL
    16. Dexter Fowler - BAL
    17. Denard Span - WAS
    18. Colby Rasmus - HOU
    19. Yovanni Gallardo - KC
    20. Scott Kazmir - HOU
    21. Jeff Samardzija - ATL
    22. Joakim SOria - ATL

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    1-22

Not the Braves.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    1-22

Not the Braves.
    I think the Braves will sign all 22, and flip the ones that don’t work out at the deadline.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-22-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I will do the whole slate at some point, but I think it's going to be difficult for St. Louis to retain Heyward unless they find a taker for Matt Holliday. They could backload a deal for Heyward (along with an opt-out after 3 or 4 seasons--which has been suggested here) and I don't honestly know St. Louis' budget capabilities, but I don't think they have unlimited resources. I'm interested to see what Heyward's market will be. The suggestion of the Cubs is an interesting one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    1. David Price - TOR
    2. Jason Heyward - NYY
    3. Justin Upton - SEA
    4. Chris Davis - BAL
    5. Yeonis Cespedes - NYM
    6. Zack Greinke - ATL
    7. Alex GOrdon - HOU
    8. Johnny Cueto - MIN
    9. Jordan Zimmermann - CWS
    10. Mike Leake - NYY
    11. Ben Zobrist - KC
    12. Ian Desmond - WAS
    13. Matt Wieters - ATL :(
    16. Dexter Fowler - ATL
    17. Denard Span - CHC
    18. Colby Rasmus - HOU
    19. Yovanni Gallardo - TEX
    20. Scott Kazmir - HOU
    21. Jeff Samardzija - CWS
    22. Joakim SOria - PIT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Early predictions

Price - Stays in Toronto. SOmeone said it will be dangerous for the rest of the AL when Toronto realizes it's a big market team, and I think this is part of them coming out as a big market team
    Heyward - Cubs, makes too much sense, Cubs have money, Epstein is stat friendly, Heyward is a start who's highly marketable, and they have many OF needs.
    I think Toronto and the Cubs are two of the biggest wildcards in terms of potential spending this off-season.

Toronto has to consider that the contracts of Bautista, Dickey and Encarnacion run out after 2016. In addition to Price, a couple other members of their rotation--Buehrle and Estrada--are going to be free agents after this season.

Martin's contract is backloaded, with his salary going from 7M this year to 15M in 2016 and 20M in 2017. Donaldson will get much more expensive as he moves through his arb years.

They have some flexibility but also some very tough choices.

The Cubs will likely go after an outfielder and a starting pitcher this year. They could go any number of ways in trying to fill those needs. Given the glut in pitching, I think they will try to do something similar to us. Find a quality starter at a bargain price.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-22-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Toronto and the Cubs are two of the biggest wildcards in terms of potential spending this off-season.

Toronto has to consider that the contracts of Bautista, Dickey and Encarnacion run out after 2016. In addition to Price, a couple other members of their rotation--Buehrle and Estrada--are going to be free agents after this season.

Martin's contract is backloaded, with his salary going from 7M this year to 15M in 2016 and 20M in 2017. Donaldson will get much more expensive as he moves through his arb years.

They have some flexibility but also some very tough choices.

The Cubs will likely go after an outfielder and a starting pitcher this year. They could go any number of ways in trying to fill those needs. Given the glut in pitching, I think they will try to do something similar to us. Find a quality starter at a bargain price.
    Good analysis. The thing about Heyward and the Cardinals is they've got two members of their rotation--Martinez and Wacha--who will be eligible for arbitration after the 2016 season. Rosenthal is eligible this off-season. They have a low buy-out on Jaime Garcia that would save them $11 MM over each of the next two years, so there would be some help there, but pitching has been their hallmark lately. The Cardinals have always been creative in structuring things to keep the guys they want, I just wonder if Heyward is a $20 MM AAV guy if they'll be able to put it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Good analysis. The thing about Heyward and the Cardinals is they've got two members of their rotation--Martinez and Wacha--who will be eligible for arbitration after the 2016 season. Rosenthal is eligible this off-season. They have a low buy-out on Jaime Garcia that would save them $11 MM over each of the next two years, so there would be some help there, but pitching has been their hallmark lately. The Cardinals have always been creative in structuring things to keep the guys they want, I just wonder if Heyward is a $20 MM AAV guy if they'll be able to put it all together.
    Unless they pick up his option, 2016 will be Holliday's last year with them. Peralta comes off the books after 2017, Yad and Wainwright after 2018. The Cards have done a nice job staggering their biggest contracts so they have some spending flexibility after each season. If they need to create salary space for 2016, they can move guys like Broxton and Moss, who are making a combined 15M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't think Heyward goes to the Cards because they have 2 really good corner OF prospects and will use that money elsewhere. Grichuk is a lock to replace Heyward IMO and they'll spend the money elsewhere. Heck they could be a Chris Davis landing zone. Since they have the terrible Mark Reynolds manning 1B and not much in the minors. Though I assume next year Holliday will move to 1B and have Grichuk in RF and Piscotty in LF. Though could also elect to keep Jason have have a Piscotty Grichuk and Jason OF. But I think they'll end up passing on him and using the money elsewhere.