Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Mass Shooting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...f-gun-purchase

Senators Chuck Schumer and Debbie Stabenow outlined the plan, which will be announced at a press conference on Thursday morning, in a letter to their colleagues. It involves strengthening background checks by closing a loophole that allows gun purchases to proceed if the FBI's check isn't completed in three days, eliminating loopholes for firearms purchased online and at gun shows, and providing more funding for the existing federal background-check system. The proposal also calls for new restrictions on gun trafficking, domestic abusers who attempt to purchase weapons, and straw purchasing, or buying a gun for someone who legally can't purchase one themselves. "These principles will be a rallying point for a public that is eager for Congressional action, and will be the basis for future legislation that we will demand receive a vote," the senators said in the letter.

This link
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-to-fail.html#
    Last edited by 57Brave; 10-08-2015 at 08:00 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-08-2015)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I thanked Steak Sauce twice in a row and going to throw up, but both of his point is what needs to be look at.

I despise Dems and despise Republicans alike, probably evenly but his last post is right on point about gun control. I will never own one to be honest because I can defend my family with what I have even though I can carry if I wanted one.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be mad at the NRA about this... Nobody has been able to answer that

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Someone robbed a 7-11 down the street with a bow and arrow. LOL.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be mad at the NRA about this... Nobody has been able to answer that
    In many ways this has been a problem in the making for a long time.

The NRA along with Limbaugh, Breitbart etc kept perpetuating this conspiracy both times Obama was elected that "you better buy all your guns up now because he's going to take them all by force". In the process gun sales were at record highs because people really thought this was it.

I blame the NRA and manufacturers for propogating this fear of Nazi Germany coming here via Obama and getting people riled up to collect guns everywhere. The guns in Chicago are not coming from Chicago they're being imported. The government should be asking the manufacturers how the guns are making their way there similarly to the government asking Toyota how isis is buying all these new trucks.

The fact manufacturers seem negligent on where their supply is going and thr NRA doesn't seem to care either annoys me.

It's gotten to the point I think wevr reached the point where people need guns because theres so many guns in circulation which gives criminals easier access to steal and obtain them. It was a smart move.
    Forever Fredi

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    for someone that is upset about his man being pushed out by the system cause of money and lobbying

and doesn't think the NRA is part of the problem

is worth a good laugh
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    So you would ban hand guns and "assault" rifles?
    Did I say that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    for someone that is upset about his man being pushed out by the system cause of money and lobbying

and doesn't think the NRA is part of the problem

is worth a good laugh
    I don't think the NRA killed anyone in Oregon.

You trying to draw comparisons to the NRA is ridiculous. But it's typical so no big surprise. As weso stated earlier, the Noah video was just dumb nonsense that's trying to distract for political advantage. ho hum

And, as I said, if the NRA is getting federally funded (it doesn't, as far as I know), it should be defunded immediately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    In many ways this has been a problem in the making for a long time.

The NRA along with Limbaugh, Breitbart etc kept perpetuating this conspiracy both times Obama was elected that "you better buy all your guns up now because he's going to take them all by force". In the process gun sales were at record highs because people really thought this was it.

I blame the NRA and manufacturers for propogating this fear of Nazi Germany coming here via Obama and getting people riled up to collect guns everywhere. The guns in Chicago are not coming from Chicago they're being imported. The government should be asking the manufacturers how the guns are making their way there similarly to the government asking Toyota how isis is buying all these new trucks.

The fact manufacturers seem negligent on where their supply is going and thr NRA doesn't seem to care either annoys me.

It's gotten to the point I think wevr reached the point where people need guns because theres so many guns in circulation which gives criminals easier access to steal and obtain them. It was a smart move.
    Thanks for at least attempting to answer in a non-snarky way.

To your point, the NRA believes strongly in people being allowed to own firearms. That is their right and I frankly agree with them (by the way, the NRA has made tons of concessions in the past with regards to gun regulations... I'm much more a fan of the GOA than then NRA - whom I find to be hypocrites).

But that has nothing to do with this shooting. Even if you're right, and the paranoid right was successful in getting people to buy guns out of fear of confiscation, that still has nothing to do with this shooting. The shooter did not kill people because of paranoia of gun confiscation... he killed because he was mentally unstable. He stole the weapons of another person who had them legally.

You could make the argument that if his mom wasn't paranoid, she would have never bought the guns and the kid wouldn't have been able to use them to kill. But I think the kid obviously had a deranged agenda and would have tried to pull it off whether or not it was easy to guns or not. It's not like he woke up and said "since getting this gun is so easy, I think I'll go shoot up a bunch of people."

So the originally point about the right not being upset with the NRA is still as dumb now as it was when it was posted. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

You trying to draw comparisons to the NRA is ridiculous. But it's typical so no big surprise. As weso stated earlier, the Noah video was just dumb nonsense that's trying to distract for political advantage. ho hum

And, as I said, if the NRA is getting federally funded (it doesn't, as far as I know), it should be defunded immediately.
    where did i talk about the nra other than the post you quoted

i will hang up and wait for it

but it really took some courage to say this i am sure "I don't think the NRA killed anyone in Oregon. "
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be mad at the NRA about this
    these are 2 very different statements though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    where did i talk about the nra other than the post you quoted

i will hang up and wait for it

but it really took some courage to say this i am sure "I don't think the NRA killed anyone in Oregon. "
    Sorry - wasn't it you who posted the dumb video about how Republicans are hypocritical because they're more concerned about PP than they are with the NRA?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    didn't hit a nerve at all

just had the same bs argument and "thoughts" come from (what i am guessing is the same article and would guess it came from drudge but i don't want to prejudge all the way) a friend a couple days ago and was curious how long it would take to make it here.

you finally made it here to push that same article about the the "connection of divorce" as if that is the reason this happens

what am i running away from in your mind?

i agree with you

i wish we did have sensible controls on weapons and do things to help the mentally ill.

they are 2 different issues and aren't usually tied together but both need addressing and should be regulated more and i am glad you agree that should happen

We can't ignore the societal-structural problems that are the context of so much of this. Sticking our heads in the sand and belittling anyone who brings up broken homes, broken communities, poverty, mental health issues, etc. is a fool's game. Glad you aren't going to play it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    if you are saying that doesn't work

aren't you just saying something you might agree with doing doesn't actually going to do anything?

so, what is the next step on something we could do to actually stop this from happening?

It was a legitimate question - how does it work? How do you go about enforcing it? It makes sense on one level; I just don't know how it plays out. Do you know?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...f-gun-purchase

Senators Chuck Schumer and Debbie Stabenow outlined the plan, which will be announced at a press conference on Thursday morning, in a letter to their colleagues. It involves strengthening background checks by closing a loophole that allows gun purchases to proceed if the FBI's check isn't completed in three days, eliminating loopholes for firearms purchased online and at gun shows, and providing more funding for the existing federal background-check system. The proposal also calls for new restrictions on gun trafficking, domestic abusers who attempt to purchase weapons, and straw purchasing, or buying a gun for someone who legally can't purchase one themselves. "These principles will be a rallying point for a public that is eager for Congressional action, and will be the basis for future legislation that we will demand receive a vote," the senators said in the letter.

This link
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-to-fail.html#

Somebody work through this for me - is there a loophole or not? Link

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Shouldn't there be more conversation about handguns? Those seem to be the real problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Sorry - wasn't it you who posted the dumb video about how Republicans are hypocritical because they're more concerned about PP than they are with the NRA?
    i have posted 2 videos

1 is a brilliant break down of how stupid guns are in this country from Jim Jeffries. It's ****ing brilliant

the other one is from Trevor Noah talking about imagining what it would be like if people that say "all life matters and we need to do whatever it takes to save even one life" projected that same energy to gun deaths in this country

not sure which video you are talking about or who posted the video you described

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    It was a legitimate question - how does it work? How do you go about enforcing it? It makes sense on one level; I just don't know how it plays out. Do you know?
    it seems to have been done in a lot of first world countries

it isn't like we would be taking the lead on the issue

we can go look at how it was done there and i don't see why it couldn't work here as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    We can't ignore the societal-structural problems that are the context of so much of this. Sticking our heads in the sand and belittling anyone who brings up broken homes, broken communities, poverty, mental health issues, etc. is a fool's game. Glad you aren't going to play it.
    that broken home article was a back door to talk about marriage and push a social agenda from conservatives

just like medical pot was a backdoor way to get to legal pot

it, imo, isn't be serious about the issue is trying to turn it into something else and wasn't being honest

i agree those are problems. some larger than the other obviously

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    it seems to have been done in a lot of first world countries

it isn't like we would be taking the lead on the issue

we can go look at how it was done there and i don't see why it couldn't work here as well

How do you get an individual to run a background check on another individual before there's a private transaction? I suppose if the gun was first licensed to you and then you sold it to someone else and then it ends up being used in a crime then you are held responsible in part? Is that how it'd work? Again, I just don't understand the logistics and the rifle I've got was purchased over 30 years ago - I sure don't remember all the details. :-)