Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another Mass Shooting

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Whose feet am I lying blame at besides the people (/politicians) who actively fight against sensible laws being made?
    Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but your general attitude towards the prayer giver seems to be they do nothing and that they need to join in the outrage if they want to make a difference. My point is there isn't likely a tangible difference between me saying a prayer in my heart and you getting mad at people on the Internet. And that's from an atheist perspective. The believer at least figures he has a shot at making a change with a prayer. Yelling at people on the Internet just makes people want to load up their personal armories out of spite. Is that your goal?

I'm for limiting access to firearms. I generally abhor the obsession that the Right has with protecting their right to something that is a toy for most of them. With that said, I find gun control to be far down the list of contributing factors to mass shootings.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 10-02-2015 at 09:07 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2015), Carp (10-04-2015), Runnin (10-03-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Oh, is that what I said?
    Again, show me where I said they support mass shootings, please.
    Their lack of desire for actions to be taken to try and prevent this in the future is alarming.
    And it's curious to claim to be "pro-life" by being against abortion, but advocate against actions to attempt to make the frequency of mass shootings go down, or support going to war on flimsy bull****, which leads to our people getting killed, just to flex our nuts. These lives are far more developed in every way than early-term abortion lives. But those are the lives they fight actively for. Actively fighting to defund PP (which will likely lead to more abortions in the long run), but thinking our current gun laws are working is just plainly stupid.
    It's a silly, fallacitical point to bring up. That's a gross exaggeration of every Comservative principle wrapped in a beautiful hyperbole bow.

Why even try to tie PP into this debate? The only relatable issue between the two is your admittance that life begins at conception which basically makes your underlying point "come on... It's just a baby, bro." Otherwise, it's a pointless hot take from your side.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    The culture is also ... stresses personal responsibility.
    That's a non-starter here in the states

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    That's a non-starter here in the states
    Libertarians would not like the Japanese system. It reminds one of kindergarten or living in a zoo. To that analogy, America is the jungle.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Libertarians would not like the Japanese system. It reminds one of kindergarten or living in a zoo. To that analogy, America is the jungle.
    Worse than a jungle.

Living all of the world, by comparison we are a jungle and then some. So many issues you can't just grasp. My ex wife said, your country is different to diverse, to daunting. I believe it. She left me because she was homesick, wanting the simplicity of a simple life in her country. I did not fight it because I respect here opinion and what she want in life, something Democrats don't understand. It is their way or no way. Yes Republicans will harp on religion but they won't sue you are persecute you for your feelings. They might prevent it and that is where it stops.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    I believe was Bernie that says we should be trying to live more like Norway...

You have a greater chance of dying in a mass shooting in Finland, Switzerland or Norway than in the U.S.
    We have more incidents but only because of our larger population. More people in those countries have been killed in mass shootings over the past 10 years than in the US per 100,000 in population.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    We are a culturally diverse country with a large and spread out population with a historical love of individual freedom. I think it is worth thinking about how other cultures and nations handle this issue, yet not naively think we are talking apples to apples.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    We are a culturally diverse country with a large and spread out population with a historical love of individual freedom. I think it is worth thinking about how other cultures and nations handle this issue, yet not naively think we are talking apples to apples.
    This is so true and another reason why guns and automatic weapons should be strictly controlled. As bad as it is now, it could easily get a lot worse.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2015), JohnAdcox (10-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Howard Bryant ‏@hbryant42 1h1 hour ago
    How can you change gun culture when every TV show is about cops, every trailer has someone carrying or shooting at someone?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2015), BedellBrave (10-03-2015), Runnin (10-03-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    ^^^ And there are two angles there to consider - those shows which glamorize things and the shows and news which are basically all about fear-mongering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    ^^^ And there are two angles there to consider - those shows which glamorize things and the shows and news which are basically all about fear-mongering.
    Purely profit-based enterprises will find what people want and give it to them.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-04-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Purely profit-based enterprises will find what people want and give it to them.

Which brings us back to the heart issue. We won't be able to ignore it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    This now makes two major mass killings of Christians. The Charleston massacre is well labelled as racist, but I don't think we should dismiss the fact that those were Christians targeted. This one in Oregon looks at this point to be clearly a targeting of Christians. Christian martyrs - real ones - here in the good old US of A.
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 10-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    This now makes two major mass killings of Christians. The Charleston massacre is well labelled as racist, but I don't think we should dismiss the fact that those were Christians targeted. This one in Oregon looks at this point to be clearly a targeting of Christians. Christian martyrs - real ones - here in the good old US of A.
    That's stretching it. These were college kids killed by a crazy man. Next somebody will say they are Saints.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    If reports are correct, he asked them to state their religion. He murdered those who said they were Christians. How in the world is that a stretch? The mental state of the killer doesn't negate martyrdom.

Link

Link

Link
    Last edited by BedellBrave; 10-03-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    If reports are correct, he asked them to state their religion. He murdered those who said they were Christians. How in the world is that a stretch? The mental state of the killer doesn't negate martyrdom.
    Perhaps. But that word is overused. You can call them whatever you want, but they were victims of a crazy man with a gun.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Perhaps. But that word is overused. You can call them whatever you want, but they were victims of a crazy man with a gun.

Unbelievable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    The killer probably thinks he's a martyr "for his cause". Timmothy McVeigh thought so. Same as the 9-11 terrorists. The firemen responders were martyrs. Everybody's a martyr.

They're all just dead.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    The killer probably thinks he's a martyr "for his cause". Timmothy McVeigh thought so. Same as the 9-11 terrorists. The firemen responders were martyrs. Everybody's a martyr.

They're all just dead.

But goodness Runnin. This is the classic definition of martyrdom. The ones who said they were Christians - and think of what it took for them to say that - were murdered. The ones who weren't or said they weren't weren't. Please don't let the fact that the word is so horribly used in other cases make you belittle when it is exceedingly legitimate to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    But goodness Runnin. This is the classic definition of martyrdom. The ones who said they were Christians - and think of what it took for them to say that - were murdered. The ones who weren't or said they weren't weren't. Please don't let the fact that the word is so horribly used in other cases make you belittle when it is exceedingly legitimate to use.
    So they are martyrs (lower case 'm'), and what good is that? It's an unspeakable tragedy, same as the one before the one after. You seem eager to use that term; why are they different from other innocent deaths?

I think throwing that word around is unnecessary. How many people were killed this week because of who they were and what they believed? Do they get to be martyrs? How about those people in the hospital in Afghanistan?

Here are two words I wish we could put in the proverbial grave: martyr and prophet.
    Last edited by Runnin; 10-04-2015 at 04:45 AM.