Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JS/JHart interview

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

JS/JHart interview

Anyone catch the interview last night with the 2 Johns? Hart was asked about the direction for next year. He specifically stated they are going to take a good look at fixing the bullpen and then possibly look into fixing a spot in the rotation this offseason.

I find that odd considering the suckitude of our offense. But sounds like to me they are not done with fixing the bullpen and rotation to where they would like it to be. Sounds like the offensive pieces will be added from within around 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    They have 25-30M to spend. So 10-15M on a starter. 5-10M on the pen. 5-10M on a catcher. Doesn't leave much for elsewhere unless salary is moved.

I think part of the plan for 2016 is going with a Bourn/Swisher platoon (maybe not a strict platoon) in left in hopes they rebuild value and can be flipped at the deadline. I don't see either of those two being moved in the off-season. Maybin could be moved. I think he is the main piece that could be moved this off-season. But I'm not sure moving him would result in a net gain for our offense in 2016.

Once the Bourn/Swisher contracts are off the books and presumably payroll grows by 20-30M for 2017, we will be more aggressive about upgrading the corner outfield. I also think we will try to acquire an ace caliber pitcher on the trade market NEXT off-season. Someone like Sale or Hamels.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-02-2015 at 02:10 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They have 25-30M to spend. So 10-15M on a starter. 5-10M on the pen. 5-10M on a catcher. Doesn't leave much for elsewhere unless salary is moved.
    Does that include Paco Rodriguez? We will be getting him back, Simmons back, as well as a few other options that will be back by mid season. Plus a surplus in the rotation, unless they send guys like ManBan, Folty, etc. back to AAA.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Is there any way our offense can be worse next year? Barring the Marlins not scoring a run all weekend the Braves will be the only team not to score 600 runs this year. This team is by far the worst offense in the league and I don't see much improvement without going out and getting a legit hitter.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (10-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Does that include Paco Rodriguez? We will be getting him back, Simmons back, as well as a few other options that will be back by mid season. Plus a surplus in the rotation, unless they send guys like ManBan, Folty, etc. back to AAA.
    No. The Johns seem to want to get at least 2 more experienced relievers. Beyond what we currently have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is there any way our offense can be worse next year? Barring the Marlins not scoring a run all weekend the Braves will be the only team not to score 600 runs this year. This team is by far the worst offense in the league and I don't see much improvement without going out and getting a legit hitter.
    Its a fluke. Any team that strikes out as little as we do normally scores a lot more runs. Our luck will change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Hart talked freely about adding pitching through the FA market, but he seemed to demure a bit the couple times when Joe / Chip asked him about the plan for adding position players in 2016. The only specific he mentioned is that they would add a veteran catcher. All we can do is speculate, but I'd be shocked and disappointed if all we do on the position side is add a Catcher and a bench piece and go to war. I think we'll see an upgrade either in the OF or 2B. Should not be particularly hard to do given the $ and talent we have at our disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Hart talked freely about adding pitching through the FA market, but he seemed to demure a bit the couple times when Joe / Chip asked him about the plan for adding position players in 2016. The only specific he mentioned is that they would add a veteran catcher. All we can do is speculate, but I'd be shocked and disappointed if all we do on the position side is add a Catcher and a bench piece and go to war. I think we'll see an upgrade either in the OF or 2B. Should not be particularly hard to do given the $ and talent we have at our disposal.
    Getting a starter, 2 relievers and a catcher will pretty much absorb the funds we have at our disposal. Which means pretty much the only way to upgrade the offense in 2016 is to trade prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Getting a starter, 2 relievers and a catcher will pretty much absorb the funds we have at our disposal. Which means pretty much the only way to upgrade the offense in 2016 is to trade prospects.
    Hoping for a Maybin trade. His contract has to be at least a little underwater, so the return would be something on the order of a reliever who is a non-tender candidate. While clearing some of his money would help the cause a bit, I agree that we would need to trade "expendable" MLB players or prospects. I suspect Bethancourt will be very available. I'm also comfortable trading from the group of Folty, Billy Perez, Tyrell, Gant, Sims.

Also hoping to see us make play in the Rule 5 for a position player. We have a high pick, and gonna be hard to hide another pitcher in the BP since Winkler will be there. Get the best available OF or 2B with that third pick and see if you can turn them into a Justin Bour or Odubel Herrerra type.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    here are some rotation pieces used this year:

ManBan 1-4 5.13 era
    Folty: 4-6 5.79 era
    Teheran: 10-8 4.16 era
    Shelby: 5-17 3.15 era
    Perez: 7-6 4.78era
    Wisler: 7-8 5.11 era
    Weber: 0-3 4.6era

Next year, from all indications, you add Minor back into the mix of things. Of the guys used so far this year, I think the locks to start out of the gate will be Shelby, Teheran. Out of the rest, I think that Wisler/Perez/Weber have sucked less? So I would imagine that you would have a rotation of Shelby, Teheran, Minor, one of Wisler/Perez/Weber, then an outside veteran with the rest of the guys back in AAA

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Cancel what I said about Paco Rodriguez coming back next year. That Olivera deal keeps looking better and better!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (10-02-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I'll be satisfied with 82 wins in '16.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    Yeah. That would be a good result. I would take it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts

we will go 161 -1 .. we lose the first game of the season and then win the rest... Book IT!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-05-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    we will go 161 -1 .. we lose the first game of the season and then win the rest... Book IT!!
    Then get swept in the first round

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Sign me up for this as well. This would have us playing meaningful games into the last week of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Sign me up for this as well. This would have us playing meaningful games into the last week of the season.
    To me meaningful games in the second half of September = a successful season. That's all I ask for. Anything beyond that is gravy, each helping of which is dependent upon the whimsy of the lady in charge of the pixie dust.

I realize this view of a successful season or a successful franchise is not shared by all fans. De gustibus non est disputandum, which for you whose Latin is rusty means a chacun son gout.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    To me meaningful games in the second half of September = a successful season. That's all I ask for. Anything beyond that is gravy, each helping of which is dependent upon the whimsy of the lady in charge of the pixie dust.

I realize this view of a successful season or a successful franchise is not shared by all fans. De gustibus non est disputandum, which for you whose Latin is rusty means a chacun son gout.
    Totally agree . . . well, except for the the Latin part where my son ends up with the gout. I've never been a World Series or bust guy. I'm for any strategy that nets us the maximum number of meaningful regular season games over the long run.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-03-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Very happy to see improving the offense mentioned as a top priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Sounds like they aren't 100% on acquiring a FA starting pitcher (or just aren't willing to say). Still think it's very likely.