Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Reason 12323220 I hate the Olivera trade. I'd love for the Dodgers not to have Wood right now....they'd be extra desperate for pitching and maybe we could get a difference maker plus.
    Not even LA, could use Wood, Peraza in a bigger trade to get someone else. But yes, its bad.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why would he opt out if he was terrible?!?
    Cueto has a career 2.74 ERA in 134 starts or something along those lines before the KC deal.

Some worries on his health though long-term.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Reason 12323220 I hate the Olivera trade. I'd love for the Dodgers not to have Wood right now....they'd be extra desperate for pitching and maybe we could get a difference maker plus.
    they are still desperate.. you are in a win now and your big splash thus far is a 35 year old pitcher who is probably #3 type and not even signed yet..

so they have Clayton/Woods/Anderson/Iwakuma/ and RYU...

they are going to have to trade for someone.. Now that Miller is off the board.. you have to think Ross/Carrasco/Jose/ maybe Julio.. but there is no way the Dodgers start the season with that rotation above..

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...214-story.html
    Last edited by bravesfanMatt; 12-14-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Cueto has a career 2.74 ERA in 134 starts or something along those lines before the KC deal.

Some worries on his health though long-term.
    I like him in SF.. I just questioned why he said the deal would be bad for just two years.. The Giants have no safety nets in this.. if Cueto is lights out.. he can opt out in 18 and get more money.. if he stinks.. the Giants are stuck with him..

but he should do well in that park.. barring no injury relapse..

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    they are still desperate.. you are in a win now and your big splash thus far is a 35 year old pitcher who is probably #3 type and not even signed yet..

so they have Clayton/Woods/Anderson/Iwakuma/ and RYU...

they are going to have to trade for someone.. Now that Miller is off the board.. you have to think Ross/Carrasco/Jose/ maybe Julio.. but there is no way the Dodgers start the season with that rotation above..

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...214-story.html
    They have McCarthy but yeah they need another top tier arm. Cant see how that rotation wins the pennant, Clayton can only do so much and he's getting a little older, he wont be historic/god mode forever.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    NL gonna be a dogfight.

Cubs, Cards, Pirates, Giants, DBags, Dodgers, Mets, Nats.

Only 5 spots.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    They have McCarthy but yeah they need another top tier arm. Cant see how that rotation wins the pennant, Clayton can only do so much and he's getting a little older, he wont be historic/god mode forever.
    McCarthy is what 32ish and recovering from TJS.. so at the best case, he wont be ready until after the Break.. then will have innings limits and rust to shake off.. Basically scratch him until 2017.. Woods is the best they have after Clayton.. Anderson is #5 starter on most contenders.. I think Ryu is done.. maybe bounce around a bit.. but will fade away like Prior did..The Dodgers have Big U and Deleon coming up.. but they won't be ready this year.. I know they don't want to spend a ton in talent and money on a FA/trade, but they are going to have to do something if they plan on competing with Dbacks and Giants..

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    McCarthy is what 32ish and recovering from TJS.. so at the best case, he wont be ready until after the Break.. then will have innings limits and rust to shake off.. Basically scratch him until 2017.. Woods is the best they have after Clayton.. Anderson is #5 starter on most contenders.. I think Ryu is done.. maybe bounce around a bit.. but will fade away like Prior did..The Dodgers have Big U and Deleon coming up.. but they won't be ready this year.. I know they don't want to spend a ton in talent and money on a FA/trade, but they are going to have to do something if they plan on competing with Dbacks and Giants..
    In what sense is Ryu done?

He's had close to 9-10 months to heal, he should be fine by ST.

But im not arguing they dont need another SP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I like him in SF.. I just questioned why he said the deal would be bad for just two years.. The Giants have no safety nets in this.. if Cueto is lights out.. he can opt out in 18 and get more money.. if he stinks.. the Giants are stuck with him..

but he should do well in that park.. barring no injury relapse..
    Yep, this is the danger for teams offering opt-outs with such a high salary. You're taking on all of the risk but probably won't get all of the reward.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    In what sense is Ryu done?

He's had close to 9-10 months to heal, he should be fine by ST.

But im not arguing they dont need another SP.
    I think his shoulder is going to be a problem. usually a death sentence.. I haven't heard if he even throwing off mound yet..

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think his shoulder is going to be a problem. usually a death sentence.. I haven't heard if he even throwing off mound yet..
    It's December.............

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    It's December.............
    there are far fewer guys who make it back from this injury than those that don't. two pretty good pitchers just got non tendered because of the same injury. Teams know they can't count on a pitcher coming back from Labrum tears. if he does.. that is gravy.. but if the Dodgers are penciling Ryu in as an everyday starter for 2016.. then they are stupid..

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    NL gonna be a dogfight.

Cubs, Cards, Pirates, Giants, DBags, Dodgers, Mets, Nats.

Only 5 spots.
    Don't forget about the Fredi lead Braves.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    We're going to outduel the Mets next year.

Wisler and Folty will have breakout years. Newcombe will win a starter's spot out of spring training. Norris is going to pitch lights out for a contract next offseason. Shae Simmons will come back and be Simbrel 2.0.

When it's all said and done, Fredi will have an unprecedented historic managerial season leading us back to the playoffs.
    Forever Fredi

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-15-2015), NYCBrave (12-16-2015)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    We're going to outduel the Mets next year.

Wisler and Folty will have breakout years. Newcombe will win a starter's spot out of spring training. Norris is going to pitch lights out for a contract next offseason. Shae Simmons will come back and be Simbrel 2.0.

When it's all said and done, Fredi will have an unprecedented historic managerial season leading us back to the playoffs.

had flashes of Frediot getting another 2 year extension. Because all of that will happen.. I need to go cry now..

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Oh yeah. That's why he was in their playoff rotation.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Oh yeah. That's why he was in their playoff rotation.
    no because they hoped that Clayton and Zack could win 4 games.. Anderson had been there all year.
    Compare their numbers..
    Wood 3.84 ERA/189 IP/3.69 FIP/1.35 Whip
    Ander 3.69 ERA/180.1/3.94 FIP/1.33 WHip

Very similar numbers.. so why is it crazy to say Wood is their best starter behind Clayton?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    no because they hoped that Clayton and Zack could win 4 games.. Anderson had been there all year.
    Compare their numbers..
    Wood 3.84 ERA/189 IP/3.69 FIP/1.35 Whip
    Ander 3.69 ERA/180.1/3.94 FIP/1.33 WHip

Very similar numbers.. so why is it crazy to say Wood is their best starter behind Clayton?
    Anderson when healthy is a very solid #3, he had a good year for LA.

Anderson is better than Wood, Iwakuma is better than Wood, Ryu when healthy is better, and obviously Kershaw is as well.

Wonder if they throw a ton of money at Maeda, might make more sense to do that than some of the others. LA has been big on international players last 3 years.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Anderson when healthy is a very solid #3, he had a good year for LA.

Anderson is better than Wood, Iwakuma is better than Wood, Ryu when healthy is better, and obviously Kershaw is as well.

Wonder if they throw a ton of money at Maeda, might make more sense to do that than some of the others. LA has been big on international players last 3 years.
    Well, speaking Iwakuma hasn't officially signed with the Dodgers.. I didn't say he was better. But yes.. the Depth when that happens is Clayton/Iwakuma/Wood/Anderson.. flip the last two if you want.. Not how I feel.. I have also stated that Ryu when healthy is not a sure thing.. if they go into the season thinking Ryu is anything other than a minor league deal competing for a spot is foolish..

High School Draftee BoneThrower's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    3-way trade between the White Sox, Reds and Dodgers just happened. Reds sending Todd Frazier to CWS, Montas, Micah Johnson and Trayce Thompson go to Dodgers and Peraza plus other prospects are headed to the Reds.