Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Thread

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Chris Johnson got the DFA from the Indians.....
    Did he trash the clubhouse after he received the news?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Chris Johnson got the DFA from the Indians.....
    this makes zero since for the Tribe to do this. They traded 29 million owed next year for 19 million for the next two years (including buyout) plus sent 15 million.. just to cut bait.. so now they just cut 34 million for nothing..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Also, note that the Dodgers agreement with Iwakuma is up in the air. Apparently there were issues with his physical...

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Also, note that the Dodgers agreement with Iwakuma is up in the air. Apparently there were issues with his physical...
    yes, I saw this earlier.. I feel bad for them... no, No I don't.. Hahhahahaahaaha..

they are going to have to give up a ton to get Jose F. now..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Dodgers in talks to acquire Jake Odorizzi looks like.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Boy, the Dodgers are having an offseason that would make Frank Wren blush.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Dodgers in talks to acquire Jake Odorizzi looks like.
    Good move for them. I assumed they'd go after 1-2 lower guys like this rather than Jose Fernandez. It just doesn't make sense for anybody to deal with the Marlins, especially a team with the kind of assets the Marlins will demand.

The Dodgers are also getting older and need all the young talent they have to replace the guys they have.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Good move for them. I assumed they'd go after 1-2 lower guys like this rather than Jose Fernandez. It just doesn't make sense for anybody to deal with the Marlins, especially a team with the kind of assets the Marlins will demand.

The Dodgers are also getting older and need all the young talent they have to replace the guys they have.
    just not a win Now kind of move. maybe Friedman is being rationale about this. I agree, dealing for Jose would be dumb with the risks that could come along with him.. The Fish are being bullies and it will back fire on them..But I just don't see how the Dodgers can compete with the Giants and Dbacks with their current rotation..Odorizzi is just another Wood type guy.. not even close to replacing Zack.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    just not a win Now kind of move. maybe Friedman is being rationale about this. I agree, dealing for Jose would be dumb with the risks that could come along with him.. The Fish are being bullies and it will back fire on them..But I just don't see how the Dodgers can compete with the Giants and Dbacks with their current rotation..Odorizzi is just another Wood type guy.. not even close to replacing Zack.
    Odirizzi was good last year. Sure, they don't have a Greinke-type, but the Royals had zero of those guys last year.

People overvalue superstars in building a winning team. It helps, but it isn't necessary to add several of those types. Kershaw will obviously anchor the rotation, and they would now have several solid guys behind him. It won't be the best rotation in the league, but it could be pretty good.

I think their offense is a bigger question mark at this point.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-17-2015)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    this makes zero since for the Tribe to do this. They traded 29 million owed next year for 19 million for the next two years (including buyout) plus sent 15 million.. just to cut bait.. so now they just cut 34 million for nothing..
    Them sunk costs doe. The original decision to trade for him may have been dumb, but if he sucks, why not cut him, if he's potentially taking up a spot that could be filled by another, more useful player? Admit that a failed experiment is just that.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Odirizzi was good last year. Sure, they don't have a Greinke-type, but the Royals had zero of those guys last year.

People overvalue superstars in building a winning team. It helps, but it isn't necessary to add several of those types. Kershaw will obviously anchor the rotation, and they would now have several solid guys behind him. It won't be the best rotation in the league, but it could be pretty good.

I think their offense is a bigger question mark at this point.
    The royals had a shut down bull pen.. they could afford to have average pitchers who can't go deep into games. Dodgers have good back end.. but Royals good.. NO..
    the dodgers have other issues, I agree. Puig will be interesting the rest of this season..

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Them sunk costs doe. The original decision to trade for him may have been dumb, but if he sucks, why not cut him, if he's potentially taking up a spot that could be filled by another, more useful player? Admit that a failed experiment is just that.
    was more my point..why make the trade in the first place.. but yes.. cut and run..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The royals had a shut down bull pen.. they could afford to have average pitchers who can't go deep into games. Dodgers have good back end.. but Royals good.. NO..
    the dodgers have other issues, I agree. Puig will be interesting the rest of this season..
    I get it, but the Dodgers don't have to have a Greinke or Fernandez to have a good rotation. Odirizzi is a good option, and they can always add someone at the deadline if they need it for the playoffs.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I get it, but the Dodgers don't have to have a Greinke or Fernandez to have a good rotation. Odirizzi is a good option, and they can always add someone at the deadline if they need it for the playoffs.
    like I said, he may be just being prudent. he has talent on the horizon.. be patient this year.. see how the cards fall.. but don't give away the farm for a one year shot..

I personally like the move. Kershaw will still be good next year..Big U and Deleon might be ready by Sept. so they can get a taste of the bigs next year..

I still find it funny that they have missed on everything they have tried this winter... so I chuckle..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    My understanding of the trade was that the money was even and that they wanted to clear books for the upcoming offseason (whereas we wanted to clear our 2017 books). This trade was just a convenient means to accomplish just that.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Former Braves golden child Kyle Davies, still only 32, has signed a contract with the Yakult Swallows of the Japanese League. And I thank God for giving me the strength to avoid the obvious joke that is just lying there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (12-19-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    When Odorizzi is healthy he is a top of the rotation high strikeout pitcher. His peripherals are strong. Quite a bit different than Wood with a ton more upside, much better stuff, and a higher ceiling.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    We don't do that. Not The Braves Way.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Former Braves golden child Kyle Davies, still only 32, has signed a contract with the Yakult Swallows of the Japanese League. And I thank God for giving me the strength to avoid the obvious joke that is just lying there.
    Is it something sexual?

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    My understanding of the trade was that the money was even and that they wanted to clear books for the upcoming offseason (whereas we wanted to clear our 2017 books). This trade was just a convenient means to accomplish just that.
    I meant that post from the 2016 Cleveland perspective. Why not cut CJ if he adds no value to the team and can't be traded? I see the putative benefit to the Braves of clearing out books a year earlier (though, in retrospect, meh), but keeping something worthless because you paid money for it is not gonna cut it in MLB.