Thread: "Make America Great Again"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

"Make America Great Again"

this statement seems to insinuate that we were great, no longer great now and need to make it great again.

i am trying to figure out when the great period that Trump is talking about and what we are striving to become again

can anyone ballpark the decade or so that he thinks we were great and trying to become again?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    The 50's
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Hawk (10-10-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    It's just rhetoric and doesn't need to make logical sense. Actually better if it doesn't.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-12-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-12-2015), Oklahomahawk (10-11-2015), Runnin (10-11-2015)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    So then by the logic of Repubs and Libertarians NOW is the time when America is great. Why do they stress making America great when we're already there, unless that things have changed so much in their eyes since 2009.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    This is a problem the Republicans can not deny.

But the Republicans is not the issue, it is both parties and WALL STREET is the culprit.

They determine everything in our country and some for the world. The money flows through them and off seas accounts.

Is there a way to fix it? Yes, but it would devastating for the economy for a year or less and more devastating for retirement accounts.

We need a simple reboot of Wall Street. I hate them to be honest even though my retirement account looks great since 2000. I can retire happily now if I want. But it isn't about me but the health of our great nation, taking over by greedy people.

How much money is enough for you to live in paradise for your life? You even want more, why?

You give me 2 mil, I am a happy camper and live my life to the fullest, kids taking care of and what not, why do you need 3 or 10, 100, or a billion?

If Wally World owners give checks to every American and then tell them to put it in the bank of 1 mil, we would never have an issue in life as long as the caveat of you have to work to keep the money or we would take it away. They can take your money away and if you spend it all at once, you are on your OWN, no gov handouts, you will be on the street begging for money.

I advocated this line of thinking. Give money, but you have to keep earning money by living and not sit on your ass just spending. It is a great incentive.

...but no one will listen. This is the black people problem, when government continually fund you, you aren't going to work. Give you a mil and monitor your spending and MAKE you work, then there is something. After 25 years are working, you get another 500k to live out your life without having any issues.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    This is a problem the Republicans can not deny.

But the Republicans is not the issue, it is both parties and WALL STREET is the culprit.

They determine everything in our country and some for the world. The money flows through them and off seas accounts.

Is there a way to fix it? Yes, but it would devastating for the economy for a year or less and more devastating for retirement accounts.

We need a simple reboot of Wall Street. I hate them to be honest even though my retirement account looks great since 2000. I can retire happily now if I want. But it isn't about me but the health of our great nation, taking over by greedy people.

How much money is enough for you to live in paradise for your life? You even want more, why?

You give me 2 mil, I am a happy camper and live my life to the fullest, kids taking care of and what not, why do you need 3 or 10, 100, or a billion?

If Wally World owners give checks to every American and then tell them to put it in the bank of 1 mil, we would never have an issue in life as long as the caveat of you have to work to keep the money or we would take it away. They can take your money away and if you spend it all at once, you are on your OWN, no gov handouts, you will be on the street begging for money.

I advocated this line of thinking. Give money, but you have to keep earning money by living and not sit on your ass just spending. It is a great incentive.

...but no one will listen. This is the black people problem, when government continually fund you, you aren't going to work. Give you a mil and monitor your spending and MAKE you work, then there is something. After 25 years are working, you get another 500k to live out your life without having any issues.

You and I have had this discussion many times. The Dems as a party are useless. They complain about the problems but rarely offer any real solutions, the Repubs actually help make the problems worse while talking about how useless the Dems are. I also find it laughable how the Repubs hate welfare but funnel billions to the oil companies, the chemical companies, the drug companies, arrange the health care system where those at the top of those companies have monopolies and make 8 figures every year and that's sacred to them, but thousands still die every year because their insurance companies fight against them getting the treatments they need. Again Trump vs. Bernie 2016, at least maybe the damn status quo will change a little bit no matter which one of those guys win.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (10-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    You and I have had this discussion many times. The Dems as a party are useless. They complain about the problems but rarely offer any real solutions, the Repubs actually help make the problems worse while talking about how useless the Dems are. I also find it laughable how the Repubs hate welfare but funnel billions to the oil companies, the chemical companies, the drug companies, arrange the health care system where those at the top of those companies have monopolies and make 8 figures every year and that's sacred to them, but thousands still die every year because their insurance companies fight against them getting the treatments they need. Again Trump vs. Bernie 2016, at least maybe the damn status quo will change a little bit no matter which one of those guys win.
    You deserve more than 1 thanks for that.

Nail meets coffin. Right on.

You know I hate greedy people and Republicans are greedy and the Dems are so stupid........well they are the most un-intelligent people on this Earth, they just don't get it for a platform. Republicans don't care about gay marriage or abortion, it is a tactic to make the Democrats waste resources. They only care about how much money they can make and how many buses they need to drive over the people to get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    It's a stupid slogan goldfly, for anyone who uses their brain and thinks about it. But at the same time Obama's slogan was Hope and change, which is essentially the same message and equally stupid. But you have to admit that Trump's slogan is incredibly effective, just like Hope and Change. You can't ignore this. And it's important.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    Yeah, it's really just a variant of the slogan any challenger puts out. "There has to be change, things have to get better - and I'm the schlub you need."

It's all so vain and predictable and when you think long about it - nauseating...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BedellBrave For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-15-2015), weso1 (10-11-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post
    Yeah, it's really just a variant of the slogan any challenger puts out. "There has to be change, things have to get better - and I'm the schlub you need."

It's all so vain and predictable and when you think long about it - nauseating...
    That's all true, but at the same time I tip my cap to Trump's camp. They found an incredible way to make this slogan sound new and exciting.
    thank you weso1!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    That's all true, but at the same time I tip my cap to Trump's camp. They found an incredible way to make this slogan sound new and exciting.
    Hey, you guys know I've already been saying it, Trump vs Bernie baby(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think Romney's slogan was "Restore America" or something.

Hilary's was "Forward"

It literally all means the same thing. But Goldy thought he had a great point here so we needed a new thread

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    It's a stupid slogan goldfly, for anyone who uses their brain and thinks about it. But at the same time Obama's slogan was Hope and change, which is essentially the same message and equally stupid. But you have to admit that Trump's slogan is incredibly effective, just like Hope and Change. You can't ignore this. And it's important.
    i know it is a slogan

but the people that hear that slogan are thinking of a time america was great and we need that to happen again

it's why people that support him like the slogan

Quote Originally Posted by BedellBrave View Post

it isn't really like the other slogans imo

Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

It literally all means the same thing. But Goldy thought he had a great point here so we needed a new thread
    it doesn't but thanks for thinking for me on why you think this thread was made. you nailed it brah
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i know it is a slogan

but the people that hear that slogan are thinking of a time america was great and we need that to happen again

it's why people that support him like the slogan

it isn't really like the other slogans imo

it doesn't but thanks for thinking for me on why you think this thread was made. you nailed it brah

Yes as a second class nation, who would be isolated. That makes America great.

A pacifist nation is not a great nation.

Wall Street would love Sanders to be president knowing there is not a darn thing he can do to them. They can take all their money to another country and we would totally implode when that happens.

Free school, free food, free medical? When Wall Street leaves, who is going to pay for it? The docs will want their money, the fast food chains will not have patrons and invest in robots. Many people would lose their jobs. THe small business WILL go out of business, so the Middleclass should fear him because he will eliminate it when no one buy their products.

He is a destroyer of a nation.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Yes as a second class nation, who would be isolated. That makes America great.

A pacifist nation is not a great nation.

Wall Street would love Sanders to be president knowing there is not a darn thing he can do to them. They can take all their money to another country and we would totally implode when that happens.

Free school, free food, free medical? When Wall Street leaves, who is going to pay for it? The docs will want their money, the fast food chains will not have patrons and invest in robots. Many people would lose their jobs. THe small business WILL go out of business, so the Middleclass should fear him because he will eliminate it when no one buy their products.

He is a destroyer of a nation.
    So, what's happening now? Right now the top 1% are getting all the stuff you mentioned for free and they're still sending their money overseas because they feel they are overtaxed and overburdened. They whine like little beeotches because that's what they are, and they point to things (actually they get their well paid and/or well meaning minions to do it) like our high tax RATES and somehow forget to mention that few if any of them actually pay those rates.

If they want to leave let them leave if we implode we implode, we might be able to rebuild from an implosion, what we're heading towards right now is nothing less than total economy slavery. The top 10% owns 84%+ of ALL wealth in this nation and it's getting worse day by day. If that's how they feel let them go, we'd be better off without their "fake-ass REAL AMERICAN" BS anyway. Rank and file Americans are still good hard working people, yes we need to purge ourselves from those who won't work and who sponge off of this nation, but you know what, that also includes more than a few of that top 10%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    So, what's happening now? Right now the top 1% are getting all the stuff you mentioned for free and they're still sending their money overseas because they feel they are overtaxed and overburdened. They whine like little beeotches because that's what they are, and they point to things (actually they get their well paid and/or well meaning minions to do it) like our high tax RATES and somehow forget to mention that few if any of them actually pay those rates.

If they want to leave let them leave if we implode we implode, we might be able to rebuild from an implosion, what we're heading towards right now is nothing less than total economy slavery. The top 10% owns 84%+ of ALL wealth in this nation and it's getting worse day by day. If that's how they feel let them go, we'd be better off without their "fake-ass REAL AMERICAN" BS anyway. Rank and file Americans are still good hard working people, yes we need to purge ourselves from those who won't work and who sponge off of this nation, but you know what, that also includes more than a few of that top 10%.
    You have become nothing but a contrarian on every single post. I can ALWAYS guess what your post will be about without even reading it.

Curious - what 5 of the tax revenue did the top 10% pay last year.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You have become nothing but a contrarian on every single post. I can ALWAYS guess what your post will be about without even reading it.

Curious - what 5 of the tax revenue did the top 10% pay last year.
    First, I'm assuming you meant to do % instead of 5. As for your assertion I suppose you're probably right, I am against, or contrary to, what's going on in this country. I don't believe CEOs do nearly as much of the "actual work" as regular Americans. I don't believe those at the top are any "better" than the rest of us, no worse but no better. There are good and bad people in every group you'll ever see. If I'm a contrarion though what does that make you? When was the last time you challenged anything that came out of the mouths of that top 10%? Yes you speak out about the Fed, and I applaud you for that, but those same top 10% you always take up for are behind a lot of that same Fed related skullduggery you claim to hate. It's a lot easier to just blame the blanket "they" though isn't it? I realize, I'm guilty of that too but I suppose it is what it is. The other day you mentioned that you weren't against unions necessarily although they impeded growth (correct me if that statement isn't accurate). Well what good does it do for a company to grow when just about all the benefits go to a very small percentage of that company? Remember when you and weso said (and I totally agree with you both) that the biggest reasons why communism sucks and doesn't work are the corruption involved and the total lack of incentive to achieve and excel in that system? What's the difference between a communist system where everything is regulated towards the few and a capitalist system where everything is regulated towards the few? I know, it's easier to lie to yourself and tell yourself that in a capitalist system things aren't really that way, that it's just aholes like me who say things like that, and so on, in other words the ostrich approach. You know better though, you're too smart and well educated not to know better. Perhaps that's why you get upset with me, because I say things you know are true but don't want to hear.

Oh and yes I realize the top 10% pay a big chunk of the taxes in this country, but how much more would they be paying if they weren't hiding money in offshore accounts or other places where the IRS can't or won't find it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    First, I'm assuming you meant to do % instead of 5. As for your assertion I suppose you're probably right, I am against, or contrary to, what's going on in this country. I don't believe CEOs do nearly as much of the "actual work" as regular Americans. I don't believe those at the top are any "better" than the rest of us, no worse but no better. There are good and bad people in every group you'll ever see. If I'm a contrarion though what does that make you? When was the last time you challenged anything that came out of the mouths of that top 10%? Yes you speak out about the Fed, and I applaud you for that, but those same top 10% you always take up for are behind a lot of that same Fed related skullduggery you claim to hate. It's a lot easier to just blame the blanket "they" though isn't it? I realize, I'm guilty of that too but I suppose it is what it is. The other day you mentioned that you weren't against unions necessarily although they impeded growth (correct me if that statement isn't accurate). Well what good does it do for a company to grow when just about all the benefits go to a very small percentage of that company? Remember when you and weso said (and I totally agree with you both) that the biggest reasons why communism sucks and doesn't work are the corruption involved and the total lack of incentive to achieve and excel in that system? What's the difference between a communist system where everything is regulated towards the few and a capitalist system where everything is regulated towards the few? I know, it's easier to lie to yourself and tell yourself that in a capitalist system things aren't really that way, that it's just aholes like me who say things like that, and so on, in other words the ostrich approach. You know better though, you're too smart and well educated not to know better. Perhaps that's why you get upset with me, because I say things you know are true but don't want to hear.

Oh and yes I realize the top 10% pay a big chunk of the taxes in this country, but how much more would they be paying if they weren't hiding money in offshore accounts or other places where the IRS can't or won't find it?
    But why should they pay more? Because they can afford to do so? They already pay more than half of everything. I don't see how it's not discrimination. "Women should pay more." "Gays should pay more." "Blacks should pay more." "Poor people should pay more." All of those statements would be reviled as discriminatory, but "The rich should pay more" is celebrated."

I believe the median income in this country is $38K a year. That puts folks in the category of the richest 1% of people on the planet. You can complain about our system - and there is a lot to complain about - but Americans are wealthier on average than anyone in the world. There's a reason for that.

CEO's make a lot of money to run businesses in this country. Of course they don't do the same "work" that the front line people do. They make the strategies and decisions that directly impact the growth or failures of the company. Check out what the CEO of Walmart went through yesterday when he informed shareholders of some really drastic decisions he's taking the company in. The stock fell 10%, and thus, the CEO took a 10% pay cut (he is flush in WMT stock). CEOs make a lot of money to make these company-changing decisions. Some deservedly so, others not. It is what it is. They help produce wealth for their company, their shareholders, and the country in general. It's no different than a baseball player or an actor making a ton of money. They produce wealth. Teachers don't (or at least, it's not quantifiable). Not everyone can be a CEO. In fact, very few can. I know I want to be one, but who knows if I'll ever be qualified.

The corruption in the country stems from our government, who sells out to lobbyists. The Federal Reserve, who is drunk off printing money. And then some very corrupt people who are in powerful positions.

But I'm not ever going to blame a person for taking advantage of artificially low interest rates to help grow his/her wealth. I'll blame the decision makers who make that environment lucrative - not the folks taking advantage of it. It's unfortunate that poorer people or less educated people aren't taking advantage of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts

How can you fix this without destroying the nation infrastructure? We take all the money from the rich. Do you know what they would do with that, send it overseas and not allow taxes to be spent but spent in other countries. Do you know what will happen if that happens, small business, forced to pay higher wages is not going to be able to get the materials because we ran those folks off and do you not think they will hike the prices for us to business with them after we kicked them out?

Sanders has no effing clue on what to do. He only thinks, take, take, take, no work with, work with, work with. Trump could at least siphon some money from the rich without being threatening like Sanders. He blew it the other night. Free education and the rich pay for it? The professors at school knows this is a no go, their salaries will be reduced. Free medical? The docs will quit. I know for a fact the docs in Germany do not make near as much as the states, not even close, but also they cannot be sued, which Dems will never allow that clause to be taking out of the equation.

Yes a glowing powerful THE RICH WILL PAY FOR EVERYTHING!!! speech that liberals love because they are lazy and jealous. As I said for Wall Street, I would love for them to get rid of it, they provide no service whatsoever but steal people's money, same as the Fed Reserve, but if you don't do this right it could be bad.

Sanders has no plan, just words.