Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wieters?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is against MLB rules to have side agreements about not offering QOs. It could happen, but the commissioner has the power to impose substantial punishment if something like that was uncovered.

The Braves and Santana might have been tempted to collude in this way. But they didn't as subsequent events showed.
    I thought players in the past had agreed to contracts or even no trade approvals with the contingent that the acquiring team would not offer a QO (or arbitration as it used to be).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I thought players in the past had agreed to contracts or even no trade approvals with the contingent that the acquiring team would not offer a QO (or arbitration as it used to be).
    Nope. The rules do say if you are traded during your walk year that you will be free of a QO. But that is based upon the collective bargaining agreement. It is not some side agreement between team and player. In fact the collective bargaining agreement forbids team and player from entering into any such side agreement.

The rules with respect to picking up options are different. Here it is permitted for a trade to include a commitment to pick up or not pick up an option.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Cespedes had an unusual clause in his contract that would have prevented the Tigers and then the Mets from offering him a QO. Something like they had to release him the day the season ended? I remember he had to renegotiate his contract with the Mets in order for them to be eligible to resign him before the date clubs can resign players they non-tendered. Since he had been traded he couldn't be offered a QO anyways, so the contract alteration allowed him to have one more big market suitor.

Sorry for the poor explanation, but I never really understood the Cespedes situation in the first place.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I believe Danys Baez had a clause in his contract that he wouldn't receive a qualifying offer (not sure, but I remember there being something odd about his contract). He left the Braves and signed with the Orioles and the Braves did get the Orioles pick at #69 (Josh Fields, who didn't sign).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I believe Danys Baez had a clause in his contract that he wouldn't receive a qualifying offer (not sure, but I remember there being something odd about his contract). He left the Braves and signed with the Orioles and the Braves did get the Orioles pick at #69 (Josh Fields, who didn't sign).
    Danys Baez' time with the Braves pre-dates the QO era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Cespedes had an unusual clause in his contract that would have prevented the Tigers and then the Mets from offering him a QO. Something like they had to release him the day the season ended? I remember he had to renegotiate his contract with the Mets in order for them to be eligible to resign him before the date clubs can resign players they non-tendered. Since he had been traded he couldn't be offered a QO anyways, so the contract alteration allowed him to have one more big market suitor.

Sorry for the poor explanation, but I never really understood the Cespedes situation in the first place.
    His contract was signed before the 2012 season before the QO system (first implemented for the 2012-2013 post-season) went into place. I'm pretty sure that this sort of clause is no longer allowed. I'm not aware of any other player having such a clause.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    His contract was signed before the 2012 season before the QO system (first implemented for the 2012-2013 post-season) went into place. I'm pretty sure that this sort of clause is no longer allowed. I'm not aware of any other player having such a clause.
    Cespedes is not a 6 year service time free agent. The clause in his contract forces a non-tender I think, and that's why a QO is off the table. It's a smart move for Cuban players in his position if they're willing to forego an extra year on their first contract. Gonna work out real well for Cespedes.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Danys Baez' time with the Braves pre-dates the QO era.
    Was there something in his contract that automatically made him a free agent (or something like that)? I remember that there was something odd about his contract, but I can't remember what it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Was there something in his contract that automatically made him a free agent (or something like that)? I remember that there was something odd about his contract, but I can't remember what it was.
    Can't remember. That entire era is a blur for me.