Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLBTR FA presoctions

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If they re-sign Fowler, their outfield is Soler, Fowler and Schwarber (I think this is where they are headed). Their infield is Rizzo, Castro, Russell and Bryant. Their main "spare" or trade chip in this scenario is Baez. But I think there is a good chance they hold on to him as insurance against some of the other guys not working out. Castro has been very inconsistent. There is still a chance Schwarber sticks at catcher in which case they can play Baez in left. And I think the jury is out on what kind of major league bats Russell and Soler have. So I'm not so sure the Cubs will be in a hurry to move Baez. They have the funds to sign two pitchers like Price and Lackey while re-signing Fowler. I think that makes the most sense for them.
    They also have Coughlan in the mix at 2b and the OF. They can easily trade from the group of Soler/Castro/Baez for a young controlled pitcher like Teheran, sign a guy like Price and sign Heyward or Gordon for the OF (especially if they trade Castro).

That's exactly what I would do if I were the Cubs. Trade for a pitcher, sign another pitcher, then sign Heyward or Gordon depending on how much money was left over.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I wonder if someone will do a "Furcal" with Heyward and offer him $25 MM to $28 MM AAV for three years with no options or opt-outs.
    I'm sure some team will throw him a very high AAVH deal with a short length to see if he bites.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Heyman also has the Braves quiet on the FA market, silent actually:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...ked-by-dollars

If the Braves aren't going to sign an impact guy this year, when will they use their freed up money? Next year when the FA class is going to be terrible?

I get a bad feeling they will spend next offseason in a bad FA class and regret it.

This offseason maybe they plan to buy more young players like they did with Touki?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Heyman also has the Braves quiet on the FA market, silent actually:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...ked-by-dollars

If the Braves aren't going to sign an impact guy this year, when will they use their freed up money? Next year when the FA class is going to be terrible?

I get a bad feeling they will spend next offseason in a bad FA class and regret it.

This offseason maybe they plan to buy more young players like they did with Touki?
    If this team doesn't do anything, they are stupid. Simple as that.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Im not expecting them to get a Price, Greinke, Ces, Heyward, Upton, etc.

But given they have a protected pick, and some money with holes everywhere, it makes no sense to sit on the money in a strong FA class.

Next years FA class isnt near as strong as this year.

The farm is in good enough shape they can afford to lose the pick.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Hopefully if they do spend money it's a short term contract if it's going to be for a marginal player. It would be a mistake to pay the 2 WAR plaers of the world market value for 3+ years.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Surely they must realize they need a veteran pitcher to help the young guys along. Leake, Lackey, or Shark should be our top targets. Leake being the most preferable.