Thread: MLBTR FA presoctions

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts

MLBTR FA predictions

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...edictions.html

MLBTR has released their predictions on the top 50 FAs. The only top 50 player they predict the Braves signing is Clippard for 3/18. It will be a very disappointing offseason for Braves fans if that's the case.

The most interesting prediction is for Heyward at 10/200 to the Yankees. If that's the price, the Braves should jump into the bidding.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-07-2015 at 06:00 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2015)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Pass on Clippard

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-06-2015), AerchAngel (11-07-2015), Carp (11-07-2015), jpx7 (11-09-2015), Prikichi (11-08-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,495 Posts
    yeah there are a few predictions on there i think he was stretching on....lots of action from the yankees, cubs, and tigers.....

personally, i would pass on clippard....seems to be overrated to me and we could fill his production at a much more cost efficient way.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Hell no!

I'd much sooner go with that status quo and giving some more youngsters a shot than paying that to a reliever like Clippard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I wouldn't make too much of that Clippard prediction. He's a nice RP and tough against lefties, but I don't see his market at 3 / $18m. Nor do I see the Braves acquiring an RP of his ilk for that type of contract.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    I think the thing on Heyward will be who will give him an opt-out after three or four seasons. I'm guessing an AAV closer to $20 MM than $25 MM with an opt-out at age 30.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (11-07-2015), jpx7 (11-09-2015)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Gonna be an interesting market, i wouldnt mind Alex Gordon if he was a little younger.

Similar to Heyward minus age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,999 Posts
    I would love Alex Gordon, but it won't happen.

Nonetheless, they're predicting...

Price, Arrieta, Lester, Lackey as the Cubs 1-4. lol alright, keep slobbering.

The Braves need to make some moves, simple as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Don't the Braves have 30+ mil to spend this off season? We have to be signing somebody...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,125 Posts
    They could have more if they trade Maybin. Possibly over 40 million if Teheran was used for offense.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post

Cubs could do that if they wanted, they have tons of money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post

That's not how the predictions work at all. Those teams simply had the most writer votes for those particular players.

I would fully expect the Cubs to sign a guy like Price, and according to recent reports they will be looking to add several starters. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they came away with Price and Lackey. More likely they sign one guy and trade for one guy though since they have assets like Baez and Castro that can be moved for pitching.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the thing on Heyward will be who will give him an opt-out after three or four seasons. I'm guessing an AAV closer to $20 MM than $25 MM with an opt-out at age 30.
    It wouldn't really benefit the Braves but if you were a team in Win Now mode and you could essentially get Heyward for 3-4 years close to 20 million a year? That's a steal. Let him opt out and have some other team get most of his decline years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That's not how the predictions work at all. Those teams simply had the most writer votes for those particular players.

I would fully expect the Cubs to sign a guy like Price, and according to recent reports they will be looking to add several starters. I wouldn't be shocked at all if they came away with Price and Lackey. More likely they sign one guy and trade for one guy though since they have assets like Baez and Castro that can be moved for pitching.
    If they re-sign Fowler, their outfield is Soler, Fowler and Schwarber (I think this is where they are headed). Their infield is Rizzo, Castro, Russell and Bryant. Their main "spare" or trade chip in this scenario is Baez. But I think there is a good chance they hold on to him as insurance against some of the other guys not working out. Castro has been very inconsistent. There is still a chance Schwarber sticks at catcher in which case they can play Baez in left. And I think the jury is out on what kind of major league bats Russell and Soler have. So I'm not so sure the Cubs will be in a hurry to move Baez. They have the funds to sign two pitchers like Price and Lackey while re-signing Fowler. I think that makes the most sense for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    It wouldn't really benefit the Braves but if you were a team in Win Now mode and you could essentially get Heyward for 3-4 years close to 20 million a year? That's a steal. Let him opt out and have some other team get most of his decline years.
    The front office has been fairly consistent in saying they want to field a contending team in 2017.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-09-2015)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    That's the other side of the coin. It's going to be interesting to see how Close and Heyward approach things. Some teams might be willing to front-load a shorter contract without an opt-out. For those teams, Heyward might get closer to the $25 MM AAV. The balance is going to be years versus AAV. If Heyward believes he is going to be worth appreciably more five years from now, he probably takes the opt-out route. But if someone throws eight years at him at an AAV of $22.5 MM with no opt-out, Heyward better be extremely confident that his marketability will be at least equal to what it is now to make an opt-out pay.

Curious to see how he is approached.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That's the other side of the coin. It's going to be interesting to see how Close and Heyward approach things. Some teams might be willing to front-load a shorter contract without an opt-out. For those teams, Heyward might get closer to the $25 MM AAV. The balance is going to be years versus AAV. If Heyward believes he is going to be worth appreciably more five years from now, he probably takes the opt-out route. But if someone throws eight years at him at an AAV of $22.5 MM with no opt-out, Heyward better be extremely confident that his marketability will be at least equal to what it is now to make an opt-out pay.

Curious to see how he is approached.
    Yeah there are a few different ways to approach this. Personally I am in the camp that doesn't see his market value being any less in 3-4 years time barring some kind of major injury. I feel inflation will continue to drive up salaries and even if his actual proudction is less 3-4 years from now the inflation likely covers that. But if someone is offering you 8 years at 22.5 per with no opt-out it's hard to say no to that. Atleast for me it would be.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The front office has been fairly consistent in saying they want to field a contending team in 2017.
    I'm sure that's their hope. I don't see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,540 Posts
    I'm sure that's their hope. I don't see it.
    They should have a significant amount change to play with next off-season, on top of what they have this off-season. Enough to buy an extra five expected wins. And I think they will yield to temptation to cash in on some of our younger talent in the minors to get some major league ready players.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,976 Posts
    Yeah there are a few different ways to approach this. Personally I am in the camp that doesn't see his market value being any less in 3-4 years time barring some kind of major injury. I feel inflation will continue to drive up salaries and even if his actual proudction is less 3-4 years from now the inflation likely covers that. But if someone is offering you 8 years at 22.5 per with no opt-out it's hard to say no to that. Atleast for me it would be.
    I wonder if someone will do a "Furcal" with Heyward and offer him $25 MM to $28 MM AAV for three years with no options or opt-outs.