Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Freddie Freeman

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts

Freddie Freeman

I remember I got in the argument on here (before the board switch) about where Freddie Freeman stacks up among 1st basemen in the majors. I took the stance that he was a top 10 1st baseman. One of the things I was told was that in order for Freeman to be a top 10 1st baseman that he would have to post an OPS of .900. Well it's August 12th and Freeman is pretty freaking close to that .900 OPS mark.

Freeman - .313/.393/.482 (.876) - 104 G, 450 PA, 396 AB, 65 R, 124 H, 21 2B, 2 3B, 14 HR, 79 RBI, 48 BB, 88 SO, 1 SB

He's not hit for as many homeruns as I expected but he's still hit for some power, just more doubles power than homerun power.

And I will admit that I was wrong on 1 thing. I was wrong on saying that Freeman has more power than McCann. Clearly I was wrong on that and had forgotten just how much power McCann was capable of hitting for when he's healthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I don't see how someone could say he's not a top-10 1B.
    He's 5th in WAR, wOBA, WRC+.
    Not many 1B have a .900 OPS the last few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Freddie is simply the heart of our team right now... he's always so excited... he's always laughing and pumping the other guys up... he's turning into a real leader.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Freddie is simply the heart of our team right now... he's always so excited... he's always laughing and pumping the other guys up... he's turning into a real leader.
    They've all got that kind of energy. This is a fun team. I haven't had this much fun watching Braves baseball in years. It's why I feel this year will be different come playoff time. These guys play loose won't get tight come playoff time which will lead to success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    They've all got that kind of energy. This is a fun team. I haven't had this much fun watching Braves baseball in years. It's why I feel this year will be different come playoff time. These guys play loose won't get tight come playoff time which will lead to success.
    I agree they are all a pumped up bunch, but just from observing, I feel like Freddie has really taken the leadership role by the horns... him and Mac. I really want Freddie extended. His HR power will increase slightly, also and I think he's got a great shot at a batting title. Hard to believe he's still only 23 with his hitting skill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Ranks 5th among first basemen in wOBA behind Chris Davis, Votto, Golschmidt and Encarnacion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I agree they are all a pumped up bunch, but just from observing, I feel like Freddie has really taken the leadership role by the horns... him and Mac. I really want Freddie extended. His HR power will increase slightly, also and I think he's got a great shot at a batting title. Hard to believe he's still only 23 with his hitting skill.
    I agree that Freeman has really taken on a leadership role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Ranks 5th among first basemen in wOBA behind Chris Davis, Votto, Golschmidt and Encarnacion
    And Encarnacion has his playing time almost split between 1B and DH. But 5th is really good.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    All I know is that the guy's hitting fundamentals are as strong as I've seen in a young player in a long, long time.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    While I won't say Freddie won't win a batting title (never know) I don't believe there has been many batting champs with 20+ K% so it won't be easy. Freeman doesn't have the classic approach that the guys who usually win it do. He's benefitting this year from a very high BABIP that won't be easy to replicate. He will be a good average hitter though. But I wouldn't say he's got a shot at being a batting champ. Of course you never know, odder things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    While I won't say Freddie won't win a batting title (never know) I don't believe there has been many batting champs with 20+ K% so it won't be easy. Freeman doesn't have the classic approach that the guys who usually win it do. He's benefitting this year from a very high BABIP that won't be easy to replicate. He will be a good average hitter though. But I wouldn't say he's got a shot at being a batting champ. Of course you never know, odder things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    To be fair, his K rate has dropped every season in the league while his BB rate keeps going up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    To be fair, his K rate has dropped every season in the league while his BB rate keeps going up.
    Given his swing rate I don't see him dropping too much further. He could prove me wrong and I hope he does. Just wouldn't bet on him. He should be a fine player, but I think some people may get upset with the lofty goals they're putting on his shoulders if he doesn't reach them. Very real chance Freddie could be a very good 1B for years to come but some will be upset cause he's not one of the 3 best in baseball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Given his swing rate I don't see him dropping too much further. He could prove me wrong and I hope he does. Just wouldn't bet on him. He should be a fine player, but I think some people may get upset with the lofty goals they're putting on his shoulders if he doesn't reach them. Very real chance Freddie could be a very good 1B for years to come but some will be upset cause he's not one of the 3 best in baseball.
    I'll be extremely happy if he can be as good as he's been this year every year. I do think he could add more power. Very young and a big guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    All I need to say is lock him up for 10 years before its too late.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunit24 For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (08-12-2013), JohnAdcox (08-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'll be extremely happy if he can be as good as he's been this year every year. I do think he could add more power. Very young and a big guy.
    Problem with power and Freeman is his swing. I think he will likely plateau in the 25-30 range. He will have a few seasons above and below that but that's about where I see his limit. While he's a big man, he has a swing similar to Chase Utley's and and the only reason Utley was a 30 homer guy was CBP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Freeman's walk rate and strikeout rates are going in the right directions. Sure he's got a great BABIP but I think with his approach at the plate (whole field hitting) and linedrive approach he's going to most years post a high BABIP. Last year when he was only at .295 was the exception, not the rule with Freddie. 2011 he was a .339 and this year he's at .373. Those are the kind of seasons I think we can expect from Freeman. The only red flag I think anyone can realistically have with Freddie's approach is the amount of 1st pitches he swings at, but Chipper swung at a lot of 1st pitches in his career and it worked out well for him. I'm not saying Freeman is going to have a Chipper type of career, that would be stupid. But I think Freeman, even if he never gets any better than he is today will have a hell of a career and I'll be happy with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Problem with power and Freeman is his swing. I think he will likely plateau in the 25-30 range. He will have a few seasons above and below that but that's about where I see his limit. While he's a big man, he has a swing similar to Chase Utley's and and the only reason Utley was a 30 homer guy was CBP.
    I would still be very happy if he averaged between 25-30 for his career with a .280-.300 average. Definitely not saying I think he'll be a 40 homer guy ever. 25-30 is where I'm at as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    I would be thrilled with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    I would be thrilled with that.
    Me too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Not to mention he's only 23... many 23 year olds are still learning to play the game in the minors... he really doesn't have any shot at refining his game year after year?