Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Because of price obviously.

Its impossible to know how many individual people have seen it since people have gone 3-4 timed already.

Also wonder how much the Imax and 3d prices did to inflate force awakens box.

It did less than what 3D did for Avatar. But yeah this movie is going to enter the top 10 all-time movies when adjusting for inflation in it's initial run. Something that's unheard of in this era. TFA is a true box office monster.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Because of price obviously.

Its impossible to know how many individual people have seen it since people have gone 3-4 timed already.

Also wonder how much the Imax and 3d prices did to inflate force awakens box.
    Same advantage Avatar had. And it has disadvantages compared to other movies too. It didn't have rereleases all the time like older movies did.

Will be exciting to see where it goes.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Doubt it passes Avatar globally. But considering the movie going habits of even 5 years ago and especially 15+ years ago of the 90's I doubt any movie anytime soon comes close to what TFA is doing right now. It's going to sell more tickets than any movie since Titanic and be the #2 ticket seller of any movie since 1982's ET. Which is astounding since movies just don't sell that many tickets anymore compared to past eras.
    Depends on China. Right now TFA has a global box office. It's about halfway there. The difference though, is TFA is doing it domestic heavy so far. Globally Avatar took in 2 billion globally and 760M domestically. TFA is running a near 50/50 split with 680M domestically and 700M globally. But it's still only weekend 3, and no China release.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holden View Post
    I can't remember even seeing a movie short of The Room that had a line this poorly delivered

I'm fed up with this sand!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    It did less than what 3D did for Avatar. But yeah this movie is going to enter the top 10 all-time movies when adjusting for inflation in it's initial run. Something that's unheard of in this era. TFA is a true box office monster.
    Still selling out shows at the suburban metroplex I frequent.

For the record, I thought the effects on Avatar were fantastic, but I didn't think the movie was all that good otherwise.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 01-04-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post

For the record, I thought the effects on Avatar were fantastic, but I didn't think the movie was all that good otherwise.
    I think it did well overseas because it showed America's neoconservative imperialism being defeated.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Same. I didn't even see it until 30 December, and the theatre was packed for a mid-afternoon matinée; when I left the theatre, there was a massive line for the next showing, even though there'd be a solid half-hour interval until that next showing started.

For the record, I never actually saw Avatar—it just looked and sounded really dumb to me. I also feel that your gloss—"looked fantastic, not all that good otherwise"—could be used to describe a good many of James Cameron's films.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Same. I didn't even see it until 30 December, and the theatre was packed for a mid-afternoon matinée; when I left the theatre, there was a massive line for the next showing, even though there'd be a solid half-hour interval until that next showing started.

For the record, I never actually saw Avatar—it just looked and sounded really dumb to me. I also feel that your gloss—"looked fantastic, not all that good otherwise"—could be used to describe a good many of James Cameron's films.
    Avatar has not aged well in 6 years.

Even the Star Wars prequels have aged well vs. Avatar.

Visually
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

Visually
    Hell, Abyss has aged better than Avatar (I assume).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Star Wars took in 90M this weekend. Gonna beat Avatar before next weekend domestically for sure. Only needs like 18M which should be a thing.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

Yeah. It was essentially Dances With Wolves with blue aliens. With that being said the effects were amazing and still the best 3D I've seen. It's what sold the film.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts

Visually
    Avatar was meant to be seen in 3D at the theater. Otherwise yeah it's pretty much blah.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Star Wars took in 90M this weekend. Gonna beat Avatar before next weekend domestically for sure. Only needs like 18M which should be a thing.
    It will pass it on Wednesday at the latest. What's funny is that it's 90 million this weekend passes American Sniper of last year as the biggest January weekend ever. So even in it's 3rd weekend it claimed the January weekend record.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Yeah. It was essentially Dances With Wolves with blue aliens. With that being said the effects were amazing and still the best 3D I've seen. It's what sold the film.
    Tron Legacy is probably the best 3d I've seen. Albeit it may have been easier to pull off because the world being so simple.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Tron Legacy is probably the best 3d I've seen. Albeit it may have been easier to pull off because the world being so simple.
    People were rolling into Tron Legacy high as ****. It was awesome.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

This one I'm stealing from what Culture. But what about all these things involving Obi-Wan

Why did he say Anakin wanted Luke to have his lightsaber when another lie would have been more efficient?

Why did he say Owen didn’t want Luke to follow him as Anakin had? Anakin didn’t follow Obi-Wan and Owen hardly knew his (step) brother.

Why did he say Yoda trained him?

OK, this is from memory, from way back after the original Star Wars flick back in 1977, so bear with me. This is from both stuff I heard/read and from an interview I saw George Lucas give back then. Apparently the original work was called The Adventures of Luke Skywalker (Lucas, Luke get it?). It was supposedly a 9 chapter/volume work but everything other than chapter 4 (the original Star Wars) was way more difficult to find out about than our nuclear launch codes at the time.

Lucas said way back then that he had to "create" Yoda for "Empire" because he "killed off" Obi Wan in the first movie. I remember him saying that. I think this whole series was originally a much simpler, much more "1940s serial, cliff hanger, swashbuckling adventure series" when it was first envisioned. The outrageous success, and therefore money, caused him to need to be a lot deeper and more creative after that.

As for why did Obi Wan use the lines about his (Luke's) father, his light saber, etc., using the long lost father Luke had never known was bound to create a bigger "draw" to get Luke to go with him, etc., you know the idealism you feel when you don't like your step parents and want to know what your real biological parents were like. Too bad Han's boy couldn't have inherited a little of that. What a cowardly little douche bag he turned out to be, huh?

“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause.”
    I actually liked this one and wasn't it from something else (originally)?? This wasn't the first time this basic line was used in a book or movie, I just don't recall the other/first time.

“Always two there are, no more, no less.”-- This one reminds me of how to use the Holy Hand Grenade from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :)

“I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we’d be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.”

“Now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. My heart is beating, hoping that that kiss will not become a scar.”

I think a lot of these sorts of lines might have worked better if they'd had someone other than a male version of Kristen Stewart playing the part. One face, one emotion, one delivery, etc., Even Zoolander had to be jealous of their "one face fits all situations" as it were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    Well it was originally Luke Starkiller, but yeah.

I mean they covered up the father part. But the lightsaber part was dumb.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

Uh Oh...

JK. Doubtful there's anything there but it is interesting. It would explain why Kylo is so obsessed with Vader. And in the old EU (which Disney says is no longer canon), there are Dark Side users that found Vader and Sidious' DNA and cloned them.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,467 Posts
    SOmeone posted a question to I think it was Gizmodo, asking if the prequels would be redone.

First lead in of course was there anything written into the contract to stop that. If so it's a moot point.

If not what do you regain from redoing it? You'd had to keep the same general story line because the films stories and characters are canon according to Disney. So you can't just leave Jar Jar out of it and you can't change his super racist character. You can't ****can midichlorians, and many other things because they're confirmed in other canon like The Clone Wars.

Here's where they could improve it. Start the trilogy later.No reason to show Anakin as a kid and force their love interest between an 18 year old actress and a 10 year old actor. Neither looked close to the right age.

So you start with the Clone Wars. Jar Jar doesn't play more than a bit part here or there because its not necessary. He's there he's got lines but he doesn't have to be involved regularly. Focus on what works with the prequels. Develop much better the kinship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, actually develop a love story between Anakin and Padme. And focus on some of the interesting things.