Page 16 of 88 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Rey gets turned to the darkside. They're definitely setting up Kylo's turn to the lightside for later on.
    wouldn't both of these story lines go a long with story lines or theories that already happened in the original 3?
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    wouldn't both of these story lines go a long with story lines or theories that already happened in the original 3?
    Disney purchased Star Wars to make money. So you gotta go with what works.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It would be hard for 8 to be like Empire when TFA made the First Order out to be a complete joke. How can they make us fear them like we feared the Empire in ESB?
    I mean The First Order did take out the capital of the republic. I don't feel they put enough emphasis on that in the movie but they really put a hurt on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    I hope Rey doesn't get turned. That would be a major negative for me. How are they "setting that up"? or Ren's return to the light?

Ren I just cannot take seriously. That actor is so wierd to me in everything he has done.

Finn was terrible too.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-15-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Just hilarious how zeets tries to justify the blatantly obviously recycling of plot lines and details as "universe building".

Zeets has an obvious bias against Lucas and Lucas' prequels, and he overcompensates by loving FA so much to get the taste of the prequels out of his mouth.

FA is just nostalgic recycling. Thus I'm looking forward to Rogue One, as it's the first real original Star Wars movie we've had in 11 years.
    I agree. You just can't avoid the same plot points all through it. You have a whole universe to create and explore, and you basically tell the same story? Just sorry.

Finished it last night, and it was unsurprising as I had thought.
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-15-2016 at 08:44 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I hope Rey doesn't get turned. That would be a major negative for me. How are they "setting that up"? or Ren's return to the light?

Ren I just cannot take seriously. That actor is so wierd to me in everything he has done.

Finn was terrible too.

Rey's character arc still depends on who her parents are. Could she be Anakin reincarnated? Makes sense with all her natural abilities. Damn near impossible to pull that off without it coming across like crap. Could she be related to Papaltine? There is video evidence of her and the emperor having the same mannerisms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,298 Posts

Finn was terrible too.
    I generally have agreed with most of what you've said, but Adam Driver is fantastic and was easily the best part of TFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I mean The First Order did take out the capital of the republic. I don't feel they put enough emphasis on that in the movie but they really put a hurt on them.
    And their superweapon (which DEFINITELY isn't another Death Star!) was destroyed without about as much ease as a Super Mario Bros. game.

I also don't think the movie did a good job of explaining why there is a small resistance when the Republic are the ones who are in power. Why is the First Order the only one with an army?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    And their superweapon (which DEFINITELY isn't another Death Star!) was destroyed without about as much ease as a Super Mario Bros. game.

I also don't think the movie did a good job of explaining why there is a small resistance when the Republic are the ones who are in power. Why is the First Order the only one with an army?
    I agree they didn't really explain that well. But I don't think the Star Wars movies are those kinds of movies with deep meaningful plots where everything is explained properly. They are supposed to be fun. With that being said they do go into detail about almost everything in the comics/books that come out.

But regarding this after the Empire fell there 2 basic opinions on the government going forward. One was having another empire type situation with a central figurehead/army that ruled. The idea was that the Empire wasn't a bad idea originally as they did bring all the systems under 1 rule (aka Rome and what the Nazi's tried to do) it's just that their methods were bad. Leia and others opposed this and feared that would just lead to another emperor eventually and they wanted everything more separate. So there is a system in place where the capital of the new republic gets rotated from system to system every few years with new leaders who get voted in. There is no central army per say but there are forces throughout the republic. You saw a few of those ships get destroyed when the capital was hit.

The reason for the resistance is basically Leia's parentage (Vader) got revealed about 8 years prior to TFA (by who she now suspects as First Order spies) and she was basically blackballed as she was getting support for being the next leader. She started to hear whispers of the First Order and started the resistance with her old Rebel friends to go against them. She didn't go to the Republic for help as she suspects there are spies already in the government.

I haven't read everything that's out but from what I have gathered that's the basic idea of what's going on.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    To add on. While it is important, the politics aspect of the PT is one of the things that is always being trashed on. Saying it's not Star Wars, etc. So I can see why they essentially skipped over all of that going into Force Awakens. It is important information to know and it sets things up and tells you why certain things are happening. But I guess they felt that is better left for books and just put lightsabres, force powers, and spaceship fights in the movies. Hard to argue with that strategy.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I explained this to a friend as...

Leia uses R2d2/BB8 to deliver an important message to old Jedi Obi/Luke to save the Rebellion/Resistance.
    We find a teenager named Luke/Rey on a desolate desert planet called Tattoine/Jakku
    Village is slaughtered looking for the droid/message.
    To show the full power of the Empire/First Order, a death star/death planet is used to destroy the Rebellion/Resistance's backed planet.
    The rebellion/resistance must destroy the death star/death planet before their home base is destroyed, using fighter pilots. Also we have to turn the shield off/tractor beam.
    The old guy named Obi-wan/Han Solo dies while all of the protagonists including Luke/Rey watch to the Sith Lord.
    We have to go to a cafe with a bunch of aliens to find transport.
    Han offers a job to Rey the way he did to Luke.
    Rey/Luke must now find the old Jedi Master named Luke/Yoda to learn more about the force.
    Except you're comparing things that aren't really the same.

1. BB8 was used to store the message in the same basic reason as R2, but under different guises.
    2. Star Wars Universe has always been Myopic on it's planets. No one would want to leave a Coruscant type of planet, nor would they hide a child there. I mean I guess Rey could have been left on a Hoth proxy but that wouldn't have satisfied anyone as a difference either.
    3. When was Mos Eisley slaughtered?
    4. Yeah, but no. That was the means for the Death Star test, but the reason for Star Killer's test was to destroy the Republic and shake up the universe, presumably to make a vacuum for them to fill.
    5. Old guys played different roles in the film. Also you're making a big presumption that Kylo Ren is Sith. I think it's a safer bet they aren't.
    6. There's a lot of bars/cafes. Again, where would expect to find said services? If I need to find someone to sell me weed, woudl I find them walking them at the local dive, or at the local Applebees? I mean come on.
    7. Han didn't offer Luke a job for the same reasons as Rey.
    8. Except that we don't know that's why Rey went to find Luke, it's presumed that's the case, but that's not spelled out.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I'm not sure how anyone can think any of the new characters other than Rey and Ren were interesting. Finn was a missed opportunity, albeit has potential. Poe had like two scenes and Captain Phasma wasn't even in the ****ing movie.
    I disagree on Finn being a missed opportunity. Boyega put in a fantastic turn and made a character that you started with a bit of distrust into a character you could respect. Essentially the Han Solo of the new film with less screen time. Poe came in as the Wedge/Solo hybrid. Someone who doesn't needto be in the film all of the time, but provided some much needed levity at times and is a weapon that should be used a lot.

I agree with Captain Phasma though, for how much Gwendoline Christie was marched out in promotion of the film that she'd have more of a role than afew lines and many empty threats. I think she's cast in 8 so I'm sure she'll be used some more. But I'm not sure how much more with Benicio Del Toro cast as a villain and no dead villains in the first film.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Well its rumored to be titled Fall of the Resistance. So it implies to me either Leia/Luke die or Rey gets turned to the darkside. They're definitely setting up Kylo's turn to the lightside for later on.
    I hope Ren doesn't go to the lightside. Would be IMO a better thing to have Rey be a Skywalker and the 2 battle out as the balance in the force. Neither dies, both exist in a constant struggle as the new masters in the next Trilogy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Not just the capital of the republic, but the entire system that they existed in, and did it from the Unknown Regions to the Core systems. This wasn't the Death Star blowing up Alderaan from outside Orbit. This weapon truly would have terrorized the Galaxy, and I bet the First Order will use the threat of a similar weapon to gain power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,532 Posts
    I agree they didn't really explain that well. But I don't think the Star Wars movies are those kinds of movies with deep meaningful plots where everything is explained properly. They are supposed to be fun. With that being said they do go into detail about almost everything in the comics/books that come out.

But regarding this after the Empire fell there 2 basic opinions on the government going forward. One was having another empire type situation with a central figurehead/army that ruled. The idea was that the Empire wasn't a bad idea originally as they did bring all the systems under 1 rule (aka Rome and what the Nazi's tried to do) it's just that their methods were bad. Leia and others opposed this and feared that would just lead to another emperor eventually and they wanted everything more separate. So there is a system in place where the capital of the new republic gets rotated from system to system every few years with new leaders who get voted in. There is no central army per say but there are forces throughout the republic. You saw a few of those ships get destroyed when the capital was hit.

The reason for the resistance is basically Leia's parentage (Vader) got revealed about 8 years prior to TFA (by who she now suspects as First Order spies) and she was basically blackballed as she was getting support for being the next leader. She started to hear whispers of the First Order and started the resistance with her old Rebel friends to go against them. She didn't go to the Republic for help as she suspects there are spies already in the government.

I haven't read everything that's out but from what I have gathered that's the basic idea of what's going on.
    I like that. It's very intriguing. You can explain all of that with a grand total of 5 minutes of good exposition. It doesn't need to be like the PT with half the film being people sitting in a circle with their dicks in their hands spouting boring dialogue. The OT didn't do that. It managed to be fun AND have an intriguing story. It's called good filmmaking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Not just the capital of the republic, but the entire system that they existed in, and did it from the Unknown Regions to the Core systems. This wasn't the Death Star blowing up Alderaan from outside Orbit. This weapon truly would have terrorized the Galaxy, and I bet the First Order will use the threat of a similar weapon to gain power.
    Such a terrifying weapon simply has an off button that is about as well guarded as a Chinese buffet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    That would be groundbreaking new stuff right there
    Ivermectin Man

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,867 Posts
    That would be groundbreaking new stuff right there
    History does repeat itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts

It was a giant floating anus.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,903 Posts
    History does repeat itself.
    Or maybe someone on the bad side could have an original thought instead of just recreating the really easily destroyed wheel
    Ivermectin Man