Page 20 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Just watched again. Can confirm the continuity is seamless with Death Star.

Can an also confirm it's better than Force Awakens which I watched again this morning on STARZ.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Just watched again. Can confirm the continuity is seamless with Death Star.

Can an also confirm it's better than Force Awakens which I watched again this morning on STARZ.
    I hope so. TFA sucked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (12-20-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I hope so. TFA sucked.
    Dont tell that to zeets.

He hates George Lucas so much he swears by it.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Am reading about how this movie was supposed to be more violent but Disney decided against it.

Supposed to be a lot more footage of Vader slashing and thrashing including a fight with Saw.
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    Dont tell that to zeets.

He hates George Lucas so much he swears by it.
    I don't hate Lucas. I love the real trilogy, but only Empire is actually a quality film. ANH is filled with all kinds of errors and ****ups and is just really poorly written and directed. Jedi has so much bad direction and it's pacing is really rough. You can tell it was a slapped together film with too many ideas and concepts and not enough time.

TFA is the best directed film of all Star Wars films. It's got probably the best introduction of the 3 main characters of any Star Wars film. And it remains true to the Real trilogy and what most Star Wars fans love. Which is a high flying space opera, not Star Trek.

Also by loving Lucas wouldn't you hate this film as none of the main characters were Lucas creations?
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2016)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I don't hate Lucas. I love the real trilogy, but only Empire is actually a quality film. ANH is filled with all kinds of errors and ****ups and is just really poorly written and directed. Jedi has so much bad direction and it's pacing is really rough. You can tell it was a slapped together film with too many ideas and concepts and not enough time.

TFA is the best directed film of all Star Wars films. It's got probably the best introduction of the 3 main characters of any Star Wars film. And it remains true to the Real trilogy and what most Star Wars fans love. Which is a high flying space opera, not Star Trek.

Also by loving Lucas wouldn't you hate this film as none of the main characters were Lucas creations?
    You're talking to someone that loves all of the original 6.

Gareth Edwards treated both trilogies with respect especially the prequels.

Bail Organa was there which was great. They showed Coruscant and Mustafar. He didn't have to name drop Mustafar because if you watched the prequels you already would know that's where Vader was. There was also a bunch of prequel easter eggs regarding to StormTrooper equipment.

R1 had Gareth Edwards not only respect GL's canon but he also was closer to achieving GL's vision and imagination of the Star Wars universe compared to TFA which was just The Greatest Hits and visually pretty dull compared to R1. And lest we forget TFA was just a blatant rehash of tropes and stuff that everyone loves about the OT.

Vallt, the home of the Ersos.
    Jedha
    Eadu (the rainy planet)
    Mustafar
    Scarif (the Imperial Beach Resort as I call it)
    Coruscant (even if it was a small cameo)

There's nothing visually in TFA that even comes close to these planets in R1. A snowy planet, a desolate desert planet, and a country side are all planets in TFA that we've already seen before.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    And the characters in r1 despite the fact they're not his creations they're all made in the Spirit of his ideas.

That's why I laugh when I read online about people complaining of **** development or they don't care about these characters.

These were well done enough characters you don't need to cry about them. When seeing Leia grab the plans and we know what happens in ANH, you reflect on the sacrifice of the bandits and you appreciate them more.

If you don't, well you're really just kind of a stuck up elitist fan. Chirrut and Baze didn't need more development, nor Saw. Jyn's arch is fine.

People try to care about the characters so much it ends up blurring their vision on the actual plot and purpose.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Saw Rogue One and I'm not as into the Star Wars saga as most of you. I liked it but didn't love it. Action-packed out of the gate, but I thought all the quick jumps early on were distracting. Granted it was an almost full house at the theater we attended and because we were among the late arrivals, we were in the front row so my aging brain had difficulty processing everything that was going on due to the overpowering nature of the visuals. Very well acted, with special recognition for Felicity Jones and the always-underappreciated Ben Mendelsohn. Not enough Mads Mikkelsen.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Saw Rogue One and I'm not as into the Star Wars saga as most of you. I liked it but didn't love it. Action-packed out of the gate, but I thought all the quick jumps early on were distracting. Granted it was an almost full house at the theater we attended and because we were among the late arrivals, we were in the front row so my aging brain had difficulty processing everything that was going on due to the overpowering nature of the visuals. Very well acted, with special recognition for Felicity Jones and the always-underappreciated Ben Mendelsohn. Not enough Mads Mikkelsen.
    Glad you liked. Thoughts on the final 5 minutes?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Glad you liked. Thoughts on the final 5 minutes?
    Last 5 minutes were awesome. Did NOT see that coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    You're talking to someone that loves all of the original 6.

Gareth Edwards treated both trilogies with respect especially the prequels.

Bail Organa was there which was great. They showed Coruscant and Mustafar. He didn't have to name drop Mustafar because if you watched the prequels you already would know that's where Vader was. There was also a bunch of prequel easter eggs regarding to StormTrooper equipment.

R1 had Gareth Edwards not only respect GL's canon but he also was closer to achieving GL's vision and imagination of the Star Wars universe compared to TFA which was just The Greatest Hits and visually pretty dull compared to R1. And lest we forget TFA was just a blatant rehash of tropes and stuff that everyone loves about the OT.

Vallt, the home of the Ersos.
    Jedha
    Eadu (the rainy planet)
    Mustafar
    Scarif (the Imperial Beach Resort as I call it)
    Coruscant (even if it was a small cameo)

There's nothing visually in TFA that even comes close to these planets in R1. A snowy planet, a desolate desert planet, and a country side are all planets in TFA that we've already seen before.
    Lol how did he treat the prequels with respect? By including Bail Organa? Coruscant was in Jedi re-release, and was first mentioned in the EU, Lucas later adapted it into his universe.

Who cares about the planets? THe story isn't about planets, it's about the characters.

Vallt - "Vallt was a cold world, with half the planet covered in glacial ice. The climate was often snowy and windy and quite inhospitable to off-worlders" Heh sounds kinda familiar
    Jedha - Looks a lot like Tatooine
    Eadu - Looks a lot like Cato Neimoidia
    Mustafar - Rehash of Sullust
    Scarif - A lot like Rishi

Honestly, who cares about the planets though. They're backdrops, settings, the characters are what actually matter, and how can you complain about Rey, Finn, Poe, and Ren?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,466 Posts
    And the characters in r1 despite the fact they're not his creations they're all made in the Spirit of his ideas.

That's why I laugh when I read online about people complaining of **** development or they don't care about these characters.

These were well done enough characters you don't need to cry about them. When seeing Leia grab the plans and we know what happens in ANH, you reflect on the sacrifice of the bandits and you appreciate them more.

If you don't, well you're really just kind of a stuck up elitist fan. Chirrut and Baze didn't need more development, nor Saw. Jyn's arch is fine.

People try to care about the characters so much it ends up blurring their vision on the actual plot and purpose.
    "Spirit of his ideas" haha. They mention something that Lucas never ever did, non Jedi or Sith force users. First mention in canon as I can recall is Maz Kanata. They have Rebels who appear less than honorable and more of the do whatever is necessary that a rebellion would have.

Chirut shoudl ahve more story. I don't think it was necessary to the story, but I'd love to see more about the Temple of Whills.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Saw Rogue One last night; it was fine, but to my mind otherwise pretty uninspired/uninspiring. Preferred The Force Awakens by several leaps, because—as zeets is (I think?) suggesting—I simply thought the "new" characters were better-rounded and more compelling.

But in either case, let's be honest—it's really all about these:

Last edited by jpx7; 12-21-2016 at 06:18 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Am reading about how this movie was supposed to be more violent but Disney decided against it.

Supposed to be a lot more footage of Vader slashing and thrashing including a fight with Saw.
    I think the screen time we got of Vader was perfect

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think the screen time we got of Vader was perfect
    Agreed. Conversely, I think we could have used a lot less creepy CGI Moff Tarkin screen-time.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Agreed. Conversely, I think we could have used a lot less creepy CGI Moff Tarkin screen-time.
    Not at all.

Im glad they took a risk and did what they did.

Tarkin was great in here. He was such a bully and had such a commanding presence. Ruthless and cold.

The technology is going to get better and in 10 years the stunt they did will be near flawless.

This was 100x better than younger Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

This movie wouldnt have have been the same without Tarkin.

I'd rather have Tarkin than recasts or no Tarkin at all. But I'm glad they put him in there.

All of these people complaining it ruined the movie can go fugg off. I've read reports of people walking out after he caMe on the screen.

As for me I was one of the people that was so in awe of even seeing him I didn't waste time dissecting how he looked. The first appearance is a bit shaky but after that he looks damn near like Peter Cushing.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Just saw it... much much better than TFA... which I thought was truly terrible. Much more realistic and much fewer plot holes.

Vader is a beast... I hope they eventually make a movie of his journey from Episode 3 to Rouge 1. We need to get the taste of prequel Annakin out of our mouths.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,759 Posts
    Wow sturg and I actually agree on something.

I actually thought this Vader enhanced prequels Anakin.

This Vader seems a lot more relaxed and methodical than the Vader we see later on. Understandably so in the beginning of ANH he's pissed and wants to get to the bottom of this.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    lol ANH is not a well made movie. Gawd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,506 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Saw Rogue One last night; it was fine, but to my mind otherwise pretty uninspired/uninspiring. Preferred The Force Awakens by several leaps, because—as zeets is (I think?) suggesting—I simply thought the "new" characters were better-rounded and more compelling.

But in either case, let's be honest—it's really all about these:

I haven't seen Rogue One, but the characters in TFA, aside from Ren and Rey, were not interesting. At all.