Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    OK so final theory time.

1. Rey and Finn are both Jedis. Rey is a Skywalker. Finn I feel like will be more of a Grey Jedi, susceptible to perhaps the Darkside at time. A lot of people speculate that Finn isn't a Jedi, he's just got Anakin's old lightsaber, I think they're both Jedis though. I think the Knights of Ren present a foe where multiple Jedis will be necessary to battle.

2. Snoke is not Plagueis. I know this is popular, but I think instead he'll be a second disciple of Plagueis. Acting more like Plagueis acted and hid from Sideous knowing Sideous would kill him.

3. Vader is a martyr for the First Order. Explains what was said in the trailer by Ren. Vader was seen as a great leader to many and I'm sure many think that the Rebels killed him in cold blood.

4. Someone big is gonna die. Not sure who it will be. But someone big will die.

5. Luke is in exile similar to Yoda and Obi Wan. But the Knights of Ren attacking his friends and family draws him out. This theory is based upon the idea that Luke became super powerful but was feared of turning, or perhaps was coerced into turning to exile because everyone was afraid of his powers. I don't consider that last part likely.

6. Lens flares everywhere. Get ready for it. I dont' think it will be as bad as Star Trek, but Abrams loves using Lens Flares so be ready.
    Gonna address these with the whole spoiler wrap

Spoiler: 
    1. Not right, at least not yet. I can't help but assume Rey is a Skywalker, maybe the child of Luke and one of his apprentices and it's the real reason he went to exile, I don't know. Finn I still tihnk will be force sensitive. But maybe he's just force sensitive in the possible manner like people theorize Han.

2. No answer here. Nothing really given out about Snoke at all in the first film. Aside from obviously him being the Sith Master.

3. Kind of right. Vader was used at the very least as a martyr/inspiration for Kylo. ANd the expanded universe is obviously thrown out here since Ben Skywalker is Han and Leia's son, not Luke and Mara Jade's.

4. Yup, I knew someone big was gonna die and was telling people it would be Han or Chewie. They made the most logical sense for one of them to die. Han being truly the most likely to die because of the impact it would have on the rest of the roster.

5. Right on the first idea, wrong about the Knights of Ren bringing him out, and wrong on why he went to exile. I am a little shocked that he went into exile for the same basic reason Obi Wan did. I'd think there would have been a little bit of a twist, though there's still time for that twist.

6. THere were less than I expected but still a good amount. Lightsaber lens flare is a new one though
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    General thoughts, wrapped around spoilers

Spoiler: 
    1. Starkiller base is really freaking crazy. Obviously the concept is truly impossible, but good fantasy doesn't have to be possible, just cool.

2. I like how they explained how Finn came into being, and did it without the prequels 7 minutes of walking and talking. It's a good idea that it was conditioning and there's potentially a whole army of troopers who could be swayed to the light side as they're not clones.

3. The questions I came away with. Obviously the big one, who are Rey's parents. There were some light hints in the Jedi vision she had, light hints that Luke may have been involved. Very light hints of course. Who knows what actually was going on. Is Phasma actually dead? Didn't show her getting killed, just mentioned a trash compactor. Given that the heroes escaped from one in the originals it's not impossible that she's still alive. Who is Snoke? Seriously, who is he? Why is he projected so large? Is he that large or is that just done for effect? Obviously he appears to be quite old, how was he able to exist while Sidious was alive? How did he know of Vader and that Vader was Anakin and was able to use that to flip Kylo? These are all questions I have still with him.

4. Really sad they killed Han off. I knew it was extremely likely but I'm just really sad it happened. I was hoping he could have been a mentor. Will really be interesting to see though if Leia is Jedi trained. Obviously she's not a Knight or master. But wonder if she's more powerful than before. She sensed Han's death which wasn't anything she was able to really do in the past. All of Alderaan including her family died and she didn't writhe in pain.

5. I like the pacing of the film. To me that's the biggest return to the original trilogy. In the Prequels it was 20 minutes of blinding CGI battles or races, then 10 minutes of talking. THere was so much bull**** talking that didn't move the plot along. TO me they moved the plot along. I feel like for a comparison, when Finn is talking about Poe and asking him how he lived, instead of just saying he was thrown clear and everything (and one) was gone when he came to .It owuld have expounded on the various steps of him escaping, and they would have been walking and talking while doing it. Some stuff I think was still a little muddy. I think some of the battles were a bit too much, but I think overall it still was more of a return to the styling of the originals than what they did in the prequels. FOcusing on the various members of the team in the cockpits rather than just one or 2 and showing lots of flying from the outside of the shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Non spoiler related fodder.

Overall I'd say very good film. Definitely better than the prequels, don't know if I'd say it's better than any of the originals yet. I've seen the originals dozens of times and still watch them again and again. Will have to see if I can keep enjoying Force Awakens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Also John Williams's score was as exceptional as ever.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Gonna address these with the whole spoiler wrap

Spoiler: 
    1. Not right, at least not yet. I can't help but assume Rey is a Skywalker, maybe the child of Luke and one of his apprentices and it's the real reason he went to exile, I don't know. Finn I still tihnk will be force sensitive. But maybe he's just force sensitive in the possible manner like people theorize Han.

2. No answer here. Nothing really given out about Snoke at all in the first film. Aside from obviously him being the Sith Master.

3. Kind of right. Vader was used at the very least as a martyr/inspiration for Kylo. ANd the expanded universe is obviously thrown out here since Ben Skywalker is Han and Leia's son, not Luke and Mara Jade's.

4. Yup, I knew someone big was gonna die and was telling people it would be Han or Chewie. They made the most logical sense for one of them to die. Han being truly the most likely to die because of the impact it would have on the rest of the roster.

5. Right on the first idea, wrong about the Knights of Ren bringing him out, and wrong on why he went to exile. I am a little shocked that he went into exile for the same basic reason Obi Wan did. I'd think there would have been a little bit of a twist, though there's still time for that twist.

6. THere were less than I expected but still a good amount. Lightsaber lens flare is a new one though
    Also John Williams's score was as exceptional as ever.
    Eh. Nothing stood out. I was actually disappointed in the music. Prequels had amazing soundtracks.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Eh. Nothing stood out. I was actually disappointed in the music. Prequels had amazing soundtracks.
    Disagree. Not that I think the prequels music sucked, but I loved the new soundtrack as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I mean...it was better than the prequels.

A typical JJ Abrams work. Filled with a lot of great, and plenty of 'meh'.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Saw it again last night in IMAX. I think I like it more after the 2nd viewing. Likely will see it a 3rd time sometime in the next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I mean...it was better than the prequels.

A typical JJ Abrams work. Filled with a lot of great, and plenty of 'meh'.
    Yeah but for an action film, that's pretty good. I don't think we'll ever see another Dark Knight. I could be wrong but nothing came like it before, and nothing since. It's rare to have an action film with great acting, great writing, and great directing. Even when an extremely good TDKR came out, people were disappointed because of how good the Dark Knight was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Yeah but for an action film, that's pretty good. I don't think we'll ever see another Dark Knight. I could be wrong but nothing came like it before, and nothing since. It's rare to have an action film with great acting, great writing, and great directing. Even when an extremely good TDKR came out, people were disappointed because of how good the Dark Knight was.
    The first two Star Wars movies blow TDK away in that regard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    My main problems with this movie can all be boiled down to the fact that the last quarter of the movie was clearly rushed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (01-15-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    My main problems with this movie can all be boiled down to the fact that the last quarter of the movie was clearly rushed.
    I don't think the last quarter was rushed, but certainly the last 15 minutes felt that way in some points. Which is why I like my alternative ending better.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Mad Max fits all those.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    So this crushed the Domestic and World Wide opening weekend box office without China's help. It's going to top 1 billion domestically. Time for the king to retake it's throne.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Don View Post
    Mad Max fits all those.
    Eh. Hardy and Charlize were great, and you could probably add Hoult to it as well. But aside from them the casting wasn't amazing. It just worked out cause the movie was built around 2 characters. Doesn't compare to Bale. Ledger, Oldman, Caine, Freeman, Eckhart, so on so forth.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    My thoughts with spoilers

Spoiler: 

1. Overall like the film... but had some issues with it. I'll mostly focus on what I didn't like

2. I would have liked more explanation on how Kylo Ren became so powerful. He did things in the first half of the film that I'd never seen before, and appeared more powerful than Vader ever did

3. Speaking of Ren's power, I hated how he all the sudden became not so powerful when dueling with Finn and Rey. I mean, he was like the biggest bad ass I'd ever seen... but then can't even handle untrained and weak counterparts? The only explanation I can think of is that he was so emotionally distraught from killing Han that he lost his focus... or that he was more injured than they let on

4. How the hell did Rey get so powerful so suddenly? She is able to use jedi mind tricks and beat a badass villain in both moving things with her mind and a light saber duel... with absolutely no training whatsoever. Seemed like a massive stretch.

5. They really rushed the destruction of the planet at the end... made it seem hard to believe. They also didn't leave enough time to get key players off the planet (like Ren), but I'm sure they did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Responses to sturg

Spoiler: 

1. Ren is a Skywalker, he was trained by Luke. He was almost certainly one of the most if not the second most powerful Jedi.

2. I think the reason for this is distraction from just killing his father, plus add in his fear of Rey's power. He showed it in his conversations with Snoke.

3. It isn't unprecedented .It hasn't been done IIRC in any films. But it was shown many times in the Clone Wars TV shows. Including showing toddlers controlling things with thier mind before training. I believe it has to do with how intune you are with the force. Leia never received any training but was able to communicate with Luke through the force. It'a a bit dramatic. But it shows how important Rey is and how scary she is to Ren. Rey is more afraid of Ren than Vader or the Emperor was of Luke

4. Ren and Phasma are both in the next movie so they didn't die.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    My thoughts with spoilers

Spoiler: 

2. He was injured from Chewie's shot after he killed Han. Was that enough to lower his abilities when fighting Finn and Rey? Idk. It's a movie. But that could've been a reason.

4. I've read speculation that Rey was training as a Jedi with Kylo, then he killed the entire academy, and she was the last one left. And they speculate she had her memory wiped and when she had her enlightenment moment that was her memory coming back. I don't believe the theory, just pointing it out.

She's Luke's daughter. Allt he clues in the movie were there. The lightsaber calls to her. Maz said to her "this belonged to Luke Skywalker, and before that his father. Now it calls to you!" She then said to Rey that there was no point in waiting for someone to come back home, that the force and her gut were telling her to go forward to find "Luke".

Also, the look on Luke's face when he sees her. Apparently he was standing over his wife's grave on that mountain, and when he sees her he sees his daughter.

Now, Rey has had some staff weapon training, so it's not out of the possibility she was able to do all this.

I have a bigger theory that Luke was actually helping her out via the force.

Also, Mark Hamill re-recorded the lines in the trailer where he says "The force is strong in my family. My father has it, I have it, my sister has, and you have that power too!".

I think that will be used in Part 2 when we see them talk.

Sturg's
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    The spoilers don't show on an iPhone. Any suggestions?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    The spoilers don't show on an iPhone. Any suggestions?
    Are you on mobile, or full site? And are you actually clicking the spoiler button?
    Forever Fredi