Page 33 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,897 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I am just in shock that Luke Skywalker was turned into a pansy and then killed off. They kept him out of the first new movie brilliantly, building the suspense for his awesomeness in the second. And then turn him into a sissy before going down without firing a shot, using a lighsaber, or training a jedi. That's just terrible.
    That is just pitiful use of THE character of Star Wars.
    Ivermectin Man

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (01-02-2018)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Force Awakens made her rise look magical and somewhat believable. Last Jedi IDK though... we didn't even see Luke's third lesson only two.
    Third lesson was cut. Basically it involved an attack on the caretakers that Luke let be because it was the will of the force and Rey intervened and the lesson was that Rey was what the Resistance needed, not Luke. Paraphrased, but that's the jist. It was cut for a few reasons, will likely be in the blu-ray extras.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I am just in shock that Luke Skywalker was turned into a pansy and then killed off. They kept him out of the first new movie brilliantly, building the suspense for his awesomeness in the second. And then turn him into a sissy before going down without firing a shot, using a lighsaber, or training a jedi. That's just terrible.
    Luke went "down" deceiving the first order and inspiring the galaxy with the spark of rebellion. We saw hands down the best force powers in this film between the Rey/Ren bridge and Luke's insane force projection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Don't forget the Luke who can't beat an untrained teenage girl in a simple sword duel
    Except he did best her until she pulled a deadly weapon on him. But you've never been one to care about facts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    But why is she so talented in the force? That makes no sense to me. And this movie not only made no point to answer that question, but made the question more difficult to answer.
    Why is anyone talented in the force?

As far as why in this case, it's almost certainly because the force awakened through her. It was pretty clearly stated in Force Awakens. If you read some of the material around it you'd find even more. The cosmic force went dormant at the end of the Civil War, it awoke during the events of the Force Awakens (hence the title of the film) and Rey and others were instantly powered in the force to combat the rise in the dark side.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Except he did best her until she pulled a deadly weapon on him. But you've never been one to care about facts.
    Lol. So he wasn't brought to his knees at the mercy of the untrained girl?

He was out witted by the untrained girl to pull the Saber? He didn't overpower her force use?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Third lesson was cut. Basically it involved an attack on the caretakers that Luke let be because it was the will of the force and Rey intervened and the lesson was that Rey was what the Resistance needed, not Luke. Paraphrased, but that's the jist. It was cut for a few reasons, will likely be in the blu-ray extras.
    Broski you aren’t the only person who internets and reads Star Wars stuff outside this website.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Lol. So he wasn't brought to his knees at the mercy of the untrained girl?

He was out witted by the untrained girl to pull the Saber? He didn't overpower her force use?
    Luke wanted nothing to do with the lightsaber, why would he use it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Broski you aren’t the only person who internets and reads Star Wars stuff outside this website.
    It wasn't just intended for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Luke wanted nothing to do with the lightsaber, why would he use it?
    To not get killed?

Hey - it's cool that you loved the fact that the untrained girl bested the most powerful figure left... Most of us aren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    To not get killed?

Hey - it's cool that you loved the fact that the untrained girl bested the most powerful figure left... Most of us aren't.
    Maybe he knew that she wouldn't kill him. Maybe he was willing to die? Who knows.

What I do know is that the argument that Rey shouldn't be good at fighting with a staff/sword because she isn't a jedi is moronic. Again we see in TFA that she regularly carries around a quarterstaff. She uses it at one time to overpower 3 assailants on screen. You can tell that she's someone who's had to fight in a harsh desert environment to survive on her own for many years. There's no reason to believe she shouldn't be skilled with a quarterstaff or other simple melee weapon.

How often did Luke use his lightsaber before he held his own against Darth Vader, one of the most powerful Jedi and Sith ever? One who's lightsaber skills were said to compare to Mace Windu's, the only person to best Darth Sidious in a lightsaber battle. How could Luke a desert farm boy with minimal training handle himself so well against the most powerful figure (or second) left?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Maybe he knew that she wouldn't kill him. Maybe he was willing to die? Who knows.

What I do know is that the argument that Rey shouldn't be good at fighting with a staff/sword because she isn't a jedi is moronic. Again we see in TFA that she regularly carries around a quarterstaff. She uses it at one time to overpower 3 assailants on screen. You can tell that she's someone who's had to fight in a harsh desert environment to survive on her own for many years. There's no reason to believe she shouldn't be skilled with a quarterstaff or other simple melee weapon.

How often did Luke use his lightsaber before he held his own against Darth Vader, one of the most powerful Jedi and Sith ever? One who's lightsaber skills were said to compare to Mace Windu's, the only person to best Darth Sidious in a lightsaber battle. How could Luke a desert farm boy with minimal training handle himself so well against the most powerful figure (or second) left?
    Yeah man... Rey was able to beat both Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker because she carried around a staff all her life.

And obviously Vader was doing his very best to kill Luke in each of their duels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Yeah man... Rey was able to beat both Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker because she carried around a staff all her life.

And obviously Vader was doing his very best to kill Luke in each of their duels.
    You think Luke or Kylo Ren were trying to kill Rey?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts

Rey beat Kylo in TFA because he just took a blaster to the stomach. They made it painfully obvious he wasn't anywhere close to 100%. And as zeets pointed out above Kylo was doing what Vader did to Luke. Beat but not kill so he could take them to his master.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Part of me wonders if sturg has even watched any Star Wars film seriously. I don't mean watched, but watched and rewatched and digested. Because most of what he's said is star wars patently isn't star wars. I'm fine with SAV's opinions. I didn't expect him to really like the film because we're on so very different portions of Star Wars fandom it isn't funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Rey beat Kylo in TFA because he just took a blaster to the stomach. They made it painfully obvious he wasn't anywhere close to 100%. And as zeets pointed out above Kylo was doing what Vader did to Luke. Beat but not kill so he could take them to his master.
    She also managed to out force him by pulling the light Saber.

When earlier in the movie kylo was able to stop bullets in mid air and read thoughts.

Just didn't make sense to me. But like I said if you like it then thats all that matters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    You think Luke or Kylo Ren were trying to kill Rey?
    No. I would expect both of them to not decisively lose their duels though.

But Rey was made to be this magical powerful character that requires no training.

Cool if you like that stuff. I dont

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    No. I would expect both of them to not decisively lose their duels though.

But Rey was made to be this magical powerful character that requires no training.

Cool if you like that stuff. I dont
    Why would she need training in simple melee weapon combat? That's the part I don't understand. We're not talking about her force choking Luke and Ren. We're talking about simple melee.

ALso how did Ren decisively lose his duel? He lost because he wasn't fighting for anything other than trying to talk to her to convince her to join him and Snoke. When she tapped into the well of the force he wasn't prepared to add to the issue of him being severely wounded by a bowcaster bolt.

Again as far as luke, he only lost to her because she pulled a deadly weapon on him. If he wanted to kill her he could have, but that wasn't his way. As far as complaining about it too, Luke was retired, to make a movie comparison, it would be like Rocky 3, when Rocky wasn't fighting, and Clubber Lang was, he wasn't really trained, he was incredibly raw. But he beat Rocky because he grew soft from not using his abilities to the peak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    She also managed to out force him by pulling the light Saber.

When earlier in the movie kylo was able to stop bullets in mid air and read thoughts.

Just didn't make sense to me. But like I said if you like it then thats all that matters
    This shows your lack of knowledge of Star Wars. Kyber Crystals "sing" to certain force users. And they're attuned to the light side of the force and often reject the callings of the Dark Side. Again remember the importance here of Rey having the saber call to her on Takodana. The kyber was bonded to her for a reason. Probably because she was part of the reawakening of the force, the force which created Anakin Skywalker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,785 Posts
    Cool. Rey is super woman