Page 36 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    If it's objectively bad how did it carry 90% fresh on rotten tomatoes? Why does it carry an 85 Metacritic rating? Does CyYoung31 know so much more about film than the majority of film critics? Or is CyYoung31 just a hipster who wants to crap on things that people like.

At least I'm assuming you're a hipster because I don't think you're old enough to have the "Disney is raping my childhood" complex that people in their mid 40s are having. And I assume you aren't a 4chan /pol/ user who regularly uses terms like "SJW" so to me your complaint is effectively that because it's popular it must be bad.
    Oh, is that what it is? Then why does the movie have the lowest audience score of any Star Wars film on RT with a whopping 48%? There sure are a lot of hipsters out there. I didn’t realize you could be a hipster and be part of the majority.

You really are a moron. The film is filled to the brim with flaws, flaws that aren’t a matter of opinion. You can’t have the opinion that plot holes and nonsensical plot elements aren’t issues. Those are facts. That doesn’t mean you couldn’t have enjoyed the movie. That’s fine. But, no. You’re not willing to acknowledge that the movie is a mess. And no one else here can acknowledge it either without you calling them morons. It’s ****ing sad, dude.

Maybe one day you’ll wake the **** up.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    oh snappppp

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Now that’s a gif I haven’t see in a long time. A long time.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Oh, is that what it is? Then why does the movie have the lowest audience score of any Star Wars film on RT with a whopping 48%? There sure are a lot of hipsters out there. I didn’t realize you could be a hipster and be part of the majority.

You really are a moron. The film is filled to the brim with flaws, flaws that aren’t a matter of opinion. You can’t have the opinion that plot holes and nonsensical plot elements aren’t issues. Those are facts. That doesn’t mean you couldn’t have enjoyed the movie. That’s fine. But, no. You’re not willing to acknowledge that the movie is a mess. And no one else here can acknowledge it either without you calling them morons. It’s ****ing sad, dude.

He treats it like a religion

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    You can’t have the opinion that plot holes and nonsensical plot elements aren’t issues.
    I take it you’re not into, say, David Lynch?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/1...es-review-bomb

If I do a 10 second check of RT reviews, First page. SJW 3 mentions, polit 9 mentions, femin 2 mentions.

Here's a hint, the movie is getting review bombed by idiot right wingers.

What flaws are it filled to the brim with. You've cited nothing. Just called it objectively bad, but objectively it's quite good by any sane metric such as reviews by experts. For example, by looking at stats, who pays money for etc. you would say that Mike Trout is objectively amazing. But because uncle moe doesn't like his swing does him saying he's objectively bad matter?

There has been no evidence at all that this film is bad that can be held to the same standard of any other Star Wars film. Star Wars films are filled with plot holes. Let's look back at the very first film. Why did the Imperials just let the escape pod go to the surface? Wouldn't they be blowing it up or send out ties to intercept it or hold it with a tractor beam. Literally anything other than letting an escape pod escape would have made sense.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/18/1...es-review-bomb

If I do a 10 second check of RT reviews, First page. SJW 3 mentions, polit 9 mentions, femin 2 mentions.

Here's a hint, the movie is getting review bombed by idiot right wingers.

What flaws are it filled to the brim with. You've cited nothing. Just called it objectively bad, but objectively it's quite good by any sane metric such as reviews by experts. For example, by looking at stats, who pays money for etc. you would say that Mike Trout is objectively amazing. But because uncle moe doesn't like his swing does him saying he's objectively bad matter?

There has been no evidence at all that this film is bad that can be held to the same standard of any other Star Wars film. Star Wars films are filled with plot holes. Let's look back at the very first film. Why did the Imperials just let the escape pod go to the surface? Wouldn't they be blowing it up or send out ties to intercept it or hold it with a tractor beam. Literally anything other than letting an escape pod escape would have made sense.
    I’d suggest looking at more than 10 user reviews on RT. But, you won’t, because there’s nothing wrong with this movie. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Keep living in fantasy land.

And I never cited anything because you never asked. You’re too busy with your head up Disney’s ass.

I’ll give you 3 possible reasons why it scored so high with critics:

1. They were paid off by Disney. (Certainly possible, but I’m not willing to go there.)

2. They suck at their jobs. (Also possible, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.)

3. They don’t care about all of this stupid **** when it comes to a Star Wars movie. It just has to succeed as an action movie and special effects extravaganza. (This is the most likely scenario.)

The problem is, I do care, because I’ve seen what Star Wars can be. Does it have to be perfect? No. The OT is filled with imperfections. However, when it’s as egregiously bad as TLJ, it’s unforgivable. I know what Star Wars can be. Is it Citizen Kane or The Godfather? Hell no. But what it can be, is a well made, solidly written, highly entertaining adventure/fantasy movie with interesting characters that occasionally can strike a chord a tad deeper than your typical action romp. Not only does TLJ have major problems with its plot and characters, but in my opinion it fails at even succeeding at doing the former at any level.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 03-05-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I take it you’re not into, say, David Lynch?
    I’ve literally never watched a single thing he’s done. Not even Twink Peaks, Blue Velvet or Eraserhead. So, I can’t say.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    I think the Mary Poppins scene by itself justifies the ****tiness of the movie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I’d suggest looking at more than 10 user reviews on RT. But, you won’t, because there’s nothing wrong with this movie. Anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Keep living in fantasy land.

And I never cited anything because you never asked. You’re too busy with your head up Disney’s ass.

I’ll give you 3 possible reasons why it scored so high with critics:

1. They were paid off by Disney. (Certainly possible, but I’m not willing to go there.)

2. They suck at their jobs. (Also possible, but I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.)

3. They don’t care about all of this stupid **** when it comes to a Star Wars movie. It just has to succeed as an action movie and special effects extravaganza. (This is the most likely scenario.)

The problem is, I do care, because I’ve seen what Star Wars can be. Does it have to be perfect? No. The OT is filled with imperfections. However, when it’s as egregiously bad as TLJ, it’s unforgivable. I know what Star Wars can be. Is it Citizen Kane or The Godfather? Hell no. But what it can be, is a well made, solidly written, highly entertaining adventure/fantasy movie with interesting characters that occasionally can strike a chord a tad deeper than your typical action romp. Not only does TLJ have major problems with its plot and characters, but in my opinion it fails at even succeeding at doing the former at any level.
    I mean if you want me to keep going I will. But I promise you the numbers will remain. The Last Jedi is being review bombed by the Alt-Right. If you want to argue against that you're allowed to. Maybe you should read the rotten tomatoes reviews. I wouldn't even post them here because some of them are so stupid they actually make my brain hurt.

As far as your reasons I'm guessing the reason people like it is because

1. It follows a story arc and doesn't contradict it like many Star Wars films have struggled in the past with.

2. It's visually stunning and unlike many other Star Wars films you actually feel the loss and hardship of war.

3. Rian Johnson set out to make a technically high quality film that still lives in space fantasy and succeeded.

I'm not gonna ask for your reasons because a reasonable person would present them immediately and not just present their opinion as if fact. But I don't think you want to post it because you know I'll prove you wrong because unlike you I am a much bigger Star Wars fan. Hell I feel a **** ton of guilt because I haven't caught up and finished Rebels. I own it already, just havne't caught up. And similar for my inability to have finished Aftermath. But in my defense since I've taken a small break I've been creating a Star Wars RPG for my friends that I've had to generate a ton of rules, NPCs, PC races with stats, and so on so forth.

Your last paragraph basically proves you know ****. TLJ succeeded in what it primarily was tasked to do, further the story arcs and flesh out Rey and Kylo. Aka the 2 main characters of the sequels. Kylo Ren is the most fleshed out and interesting character in all of Star Wars and Rian Johnson's direction on him played a big part in it. Add in that Rey went from a vehicle for everyone's theories, an object to be used in people's fan fictions, to someone much more tangible. Johnson was able to do all that and give us a film we haven't experienced before. When you can't quantify what made the OT great, you're missing on it all. What made the OT great was the suspension of disbelief, the belief that something bigger was happening. And TLJ furthers that by stripping away the prequel midichlorian science and bringing back the religious aspect of the Jedi. Touching on the hypocrisy of the Jedi Order as Lucas created them (and he did it intentionally, I'm not faulting him here) and trying to bring everything back to where it was in the OT. A battle between good and evil with some blurry lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think the Mary Poppins scene by itself justifies the ****tiness of the movie
    That just shows that you don't understand the force as it's laid out in canon. And god forbid we see a scene in a Star Wars film where the daughter of Anakin Skywalker uses the force for anything more than a mental connection to the men she cares about. Doesn't she know that a woman's force purpose is in the force kitchen making force dinner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    I’ve haven’t gone into great detail about anything because I’m typing from my phone and it’s going to take time and a keyboard to get all of my thoughts out. I guess you’ve never heard of a first take. God, you’re a tool.

And, yes, it’s obvious that you’re a bigger Star Wars fan than anyone ever. You’ve made that abundantly clear. Anyone who can’t acknowledge the obvious faults with this film or at least acknowledge that other people have reasonable criticisms is clearly a blind fanboy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    That just shows that you don't understand the force as it's laid out in canon. And god forbid we see a scene in a Star Wars film where the daughter of Anakin Skywalker uses the force for anything more than a mental connection to the men she cares about. Doesn't she know that a woman's force purpose is in the force kitchen making force dinner.
    So, Leia, who we know is force sensitive but have never seen ever use the force, is able to not only survive a photon torpedo blast, but also Superman herself through the void of space. These things, of course, are something no Jedi has ever been shown to be even close to capable of.

Yeah, that’s totally easy to buy though. Stupid us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    So, Leia, who we know is force sensitive but have never seen ever use the force, is able to not only survive a photon torpedo blast, but also Superman herself through the void of space. These things, of course, are something no Jedi has ever been shown to be even close to capable of.

First off star wars doesn't use photon torpedoes. That is Star Trek. Star Wars has proton torpedoes. Of course that is using the assumption that the First Order still uses that and not the concussion missiles. Second the torpedoes didn't directly hit her. I lack a physics background. But one would assume after breaking the shielding on the bridge the blast would stop it's explosive and generate no more concussive elements.

All Leia did was a force pull. She did it against the resistance less vacuum that is space. The relative equivalent of that broom pull the kid did. It's pretty easy to see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    First off star wars doesn't use photon torpedoes. That is Star Trek. Star Wars has proton torpedoes. Of course that is using the assumption that the First Order still uses that and not the concussion missiles. Second the torpedoes didn't directly hit her. I lack a physics background. But one would assume after breaking the shielding on the bridge the blast would stop it's explosive and generate no more concussive elements.

All Leia did was a force pull. She did it against the resistance less vacuum that is space. The relative equivalent of that broom pull the kid did. It's pretty easy to see.
    First of all, it’s a Force Push, not a Force Pull. In order for it to be a pull, you’d have to believe that Leia actually pulled the ship to her. Luke struggled to pull a little X-Wing out of a pond with a couple years of training. So that would mean Leia is the most powerful force user of all-time in order to pull entire starships.

Secondly, do you understand how far away those ships are? They’re in space, and those ships are huge. They look close enough, but it’s because of their size. I’m sure there is at least a mile or three between them. We’re talking about the longest force push of all time. Yes, she used the lack of gravity to keep her momentum going, but she did it in a matter of seconds AND survived the entire way.

My problem with that scene isn’t that it was scientifically inaccurate, it’s that Leia is able to do something that trained force users would have trouble doing.

And it looked stupid.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 03-06-2018 at 02:09 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Zeetoh's inability to separate from this movie is mind boggling. It had tons of issues. They have been laid out here multiple times, he just chooses to firmly place his fingers in his ears instead of listen to them.

It had some truly cringe worthy moments. The mary poppins **** was the worst moment in all of star wars, ever.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    First of all, it’s a Force Push, not a Force Pull. In order for it to be a pull, you’d have to believe that Leia actually pulled the ship to her. Luke struggled to pull a little X-Wing out of a pond with a couple years of training. So that would mean Leia is the most powerful force user of all-time in order to pull entire starships.

Secondly, do you understand how far away those ships are? They’re in space, and those ships are huge. They look close enough, but it’s because of their size. I’m sure there is at least a mile or three between them. We’re talking about the longest force push of all time. Yes, she used the lack of gravity to keep her momentum going, but she did it in a matter of seconds AND survived the entire way.

My problem with that scene isn’t that it was scientifically inaccurate, it’s that Leia is able to do something that trained force users would have trouble doing.

And it looked stupid.
    It's time for the world's fastest logic game. If I'm lying on my back and there's a bar over me. I weigh 100 pounds. The bar has 500 pounds of tensile strength holding it up while pulling up I excerpt 150 pounds of force on it. Do I not pull myself closer to the bar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    It's time for the world's fastest logic game. If I'm lying on my back and there's a bar over me. I weigh 100 pounds. The bar has 500 pounds of tensile strength holding it up while pulling up I excerpt 150 pounds of force on it. Do I not pull myself closer to the bar?
    I think you set the bar really low. Did I win?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Vader essentially flew through space in Lords of the Sith. Yes it did mention that his suit was pressurized to save him from the vacuum of space but a precedent has been made in canon to pull yourself in space onto a ship.