Page 45 of 88 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Reading all the "leaks" and theories makes me giggle. They all wind up contradicting each other and spinning a tale that isn't expressly cohesive. I feel like no one making these leaks has ever storyboarded anything. You can't fit a book in a movie. You leave no room for dialogue or cinematography.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Some problems here. In order to get into hyperspace you have to travel at the speed of light (hence characters frequently referencing going to lightspeed). The amount of energy required to travel at close to the speed of light is such that even a small object moving at near light speed could vaporize a planet.

Next, objects increase in mass as they approach the speed of light. An X-wing traveling at near light speed would have more mass than a stationary super star destroyer.

Even in a universe where lightspeed travel isn't theoretically impossible, the energy held in an object of any mass at all traveling at light speed would be capable of annihilating anything upon impact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Mandalorian is pretty tight. Obviously the series should be judged as a whole, but it's off to a good start. Will be interesting to see where it winds up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Watching the Mandalorian makes me wonder what Favreau would have done had he been given 7,8, and 9 to direct. Favreau is a tremendously talented director who has the gift of knowing what tone his projects should strike. It's only been two episodes but the Mandalorian seems to capture the feel of the Star Wars universe while at the same time having a fresh, grittier approach focused on one man's story. I hope it continues like it has.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Watching the Mandalorian makes me wonder what Favreau would have done had he been given 7,8, and 9 to direct. Favreau is a tremendously talented director who has the gift of knowing what tone his projects should strike. It's only been two episodes but the Mandalorian seems to capture the feel of the Star Wars universe while at the same time having a fresh, grittier approach focused on one man's story. I hope it continues like it has.
    Important to remember that the events of the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian will have the runtime pretty much equal to TLJ. Odds are it won't tell as big of a story but focus much more on character. Which is a luxury that TV had. Like I said overall I don't think the overarching story of the prequels was bad. I think the fitting into the film format was bad. But political intrigue and a broadening of the character base fits fantastically in the Clone Wars series. It doesn't fit as well into the Prequels. More time gives you a chance to tell more of a story at a less jarring pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Important to remember that the events of the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian will have the runtime pretty much equal to TLJ. Odds are it won't tell as big of a story but focus much more on character. Which is a luxury that TV had. Like I said overall I don't think the overarching story of the prequels was bad. I think the fitting into the film format was bad. But political intrigue and a broadening of the character base fits fantastically in the Clone Wars series. It doesn't fit as well into the Prequels. More time gives you a chance to tell more of a story at a less jarring pace.
    The benefit of long-form storytelling. But even so, I feel like the first two episodes of the Mandalorian could have easily been 3 or 4 episodes with more time spent introducing all the players. However, I also understand that they likely need the time for the events that will unfold later in the season. It's only an 8 episode season. I wish they'd given it 12 episodes.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    A Favreau/Dave Filoni joint Star Wars movie would be amazing. That being said I really hope Kathleen Kennedy gets pushed out after Ep 9 and Filoni gets to run the ship. He's been behind the best star wars content since Ep 6 imo.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    A Favreau/Dave Filoni joint Star Wars movie would be amazing. That being said I really hope Kathleen Kennedy gets pushed out after Ep 9 and Filoni gets to run the ship. He's been behind the best star wars content since Ep 6 imo.
    Kennedy runs Lucasfilms. She was supposedly walking after the next Indiana Jones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The benefit of long-form storytelling. But even so, I feel like the first two episodes of the Mandalorian could have easily been 3 or 4 episodes with more time spent introducing all the players. However, I also understand that they likely need the time for the events that will unfold later in the season. It's only an 8 episode season. I wish they'd given it 12 episodes.
    Odds are Filloni and Favreau didn't really want more. It's supposed to play like a WEstern. My guess is they'll tell a tale this season of the Mandalorian and the babyoda. Next season it will likely be something different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Kennedy has been running Lucas films for 7 years. She was entrusted by George to run the company. DIsney firing her/not renewing her contract would be a slight to George.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Kennedy has been running Lucas films for 7 years. She was entrusted by George to run the company. DIsney firing her/not renewing her contract would be a slight to George.
    Ep 8 was a slight to George and the entire franchise. As was Solo. IMO she's out of touch with the fanbase. That said Fiolini has been dubbed The Chosen One and I suspect George would have no issues with him running the ship. They are very close.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    I could get behind that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Ep 8 was a slight to George and the entire franchise. As was Solo. IMO she's out of touch with the fanbase. That said Fiolini has been dubbed The Chosen One and I suspect George would have no issues with him running the ship. They are very close.
    They are close, but so is George and Kathleen. Again, he picked her to run LucasFilm. It's not just about Star Wars, but also Indy and more.

I like Filloni, I've been team Filoni for a long time. But we don't know if he can do it in a film, he's directed one feature length, the Clone Wars film, which was bad. Of course one would assume he's improved since then, I don't think that's the case. I think more likely he'll be put in charge of Disney+ Star Wars content. Shows, specials, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I don't want Feige to run Star Wars. I don't want MCU treatment to Star Wars. I woudl like a Feige movie, maybe even trilogy where he pens the story and hands it over to writers and directors just to see what he can do.

I don't know who the right person to take over LucasFilm after Kennedy is, I think a healthy amount of heat on Kennedy is a combination of 2 things, one that she was the one who took over for Lucas. Fanboys are gonna hate whoever it was. Second is not the main thing but a underlying current that she's a woman. If a man, especially a well regarded male producer, took over there is some of the fanbase who would have hated the films less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I don't want Feige to run Star Wars. I don't want MCU treatment to Star Wars. I woudl like a Feige movie, maybe even trilogy where he pens the story and hands it over to writers and directors just to see what he can do.

I don't know who the right person to take over LucasFilm after Kennedy is, I think a healthy amount of heat on Kennedy is a combination of 2 things, one that she was the one who took over for Lucas. Fanboys are gonna hate whoever it was. Second is not the main thing but a underlying current that she's a woman. If a man, especially a well regarded male producer, took over there is some of the fanbase who would have hated the films less.
    There might be some that hold her being a woman against her (there's always some), but it's not like she's done a lot to ingratiate herself to the fanbase. IIRC, she was at the helm when the Expanded Universe was killed off. Then this week she complains that Star Wars has no books to draw source material from.

Additionally, the product that has been delivered has been up and down. I blame the bad products on the directors that made them but she's the one who handed the reins over to those guys.

I think her problem is that she just doesn't really get Star Wars or the fans. You can take Star Wars in fresh directions but you need to understand that at it's core it's a classic good vs. evil, sci-fi/fantasy, adventure story. You stray from that at your own peril.

Star Wars is a hamburger. There are any number of fresh ideas you can take with a hamburger. You can make it out of beef, boar, turkey, kangaroo, etc. You can slather it with mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce, some kind of dressing, etc. You can add any number of toppings and use any number of different kinds of bread. But at the end of the day, it needs to be a hamburger.

If you make spaghetti bolognese, it doesn't matter how good it is, it doesn't matter that it contains many of the same ingredients (ground meat, sauce, carbs), it's not a hamburger. You can't blame fans who ask for a hamburger and get spaghetti bolognese.

Several of the recent Star Wars projects have delivered things with same ingredients as Star Wars movies (light sabers, ship battles, familiar characters) but that lack the true heart of what a Star Wars movie is.

This is why I'm excited about The Mandalorian. Favreau seems to get it. I really hope he's given the reins of the entire franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    The thing is that I think what everyone pins on Kennedy isn't always her fault. She didn't want to push solo, that was Iger, she would have probably cancelled it like they cancelled Fett movie and Kenobi film which is now going Episodic. Kennedy was in charge of putting the current Star Wars show slate including the Mandalorian. You think Favreau pitched to Disney behind Kennedy's back? No she went to Disney to pitch it. She knows what she's doing, she's one of the best blockbuster producers of all time for a reason. When the films you produce include Jurassic Park, E.T. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future trilogy, Schindler's List, The Sixth Sense, so on so forth. Her skill at picking out something that's going to be a hit is pretty great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The thing is that I think what everyone pins on Kennedy isn't always her fault. She didn't want to push solo, that was Iger, she would have probably cancelled it like they cancelled Fett movie and Kenobi film which is now going Episodic. Kennedy was in charge of putting the current Star Wars show slate including the Mandalorian. You think Favreau pitched to Disney behind Kennedy's back? No she went to Disney to pitch it. She knows what she's doing, she's one of the best blockbuster producers of all time for a reason. When the films you produce include Jurassic Park, E.T. Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future trilogy, Schindler's List, The Sixth Sense, so on so forth. Her skill at picking out something that's going to be a hit is pretty great.
    She's definitely fantastic at picking out hits. But she also made a huge mistake in picking Rian Johnson for VIII. Put the merits of the movie aside. The bottom line is the movie angers large portions of the Star Wars fanbase which has impacted the franchise.

She has never really understood the Star Wars fanbase. She's clearly been frustrated with them at times going as far as insulting them.

Star Wars is different than other projects she's been involved in. There aren't a thousand Indiana Jones novels. There are dozens of Who Framed Roger Rabbit video games. The fanbase is different and she's never really understood that.

As for green lighting Favreau, that's a no brainer. If Favreau is willing to do something in your franchise, you let him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    1. She didn't make a mistake handing Johnson the reigns. No matter who directed episode VIII people would have been pissed off because they had their own ideas of what should have happened in that movie and the next. People hated EPisode VII a perfectly safe Star Wars film.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Just saw Rogue One.

People actually liked that movie?
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Agree 100% with that last paragraph.

As far as TFA, that was my biggest problem with it. It was just a fan-service film, which has been JJ Abrams' forte when relaunching film franchises (see: both Star Trek movies). It also suffered from the usual problems in Abrams' movies, like under developed plot and characters, and the story just taking a **** in the final act (usually thanks to a plot maguffin or deus ex machina).

2. That's not fair to say.

3. That's true it is different. But she's not just doing Star Wars, she's running Lucas Film, incluing Indy and more. She's not a creative, she's an executive. You're hating on creative decisions and pinning it on an executive.

4. I love Favreau, but don't pretend like Cowboys vs. Aliens didn't happen. He's not perfect, he's not Christopher Nolan.