Page 47 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    Kenobi is only thing I'm interested in because of McGregor. A good thing Disney Plus has going for them is it's the only place you can watch 1-7 in 4k UHD since none of them have a physical UHD release.
    Not true. it also has the entirety of Rebels and Clone Wars. With a new season of Clone Wars. Not to mention every Disney film ever. Which for someone like me who may want to watch say Aladdin (the good version) but doesn't want to buy it, it's great. I've also been watching Ducktales, and I want to watch but haven't yet the old X-Men and Spiderman TV shows. They're not as great as Batman the Animated Series, but they're the next best. Also I should perruse more of the NatGeo stuff, but eh.

Disney+ is worth it for me. Hulu isn't but it is for my girlfriend. I watch Bob's Burgers on it and that's about it. I get way more mileage from Netflix.

Honestly the paid service I get the most mileage out of is Youtube Premium or whatever it's called because i regularly watch Youtube (especially on my XBox where AdBlocker isn't a thing) and I use Google Play Music all the time.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The Mandalorian needs a over arching plot point. Some destination or goal.... right now we are just taking weekly adventures with zero sequence.
    I mean there is an overarching plot point, protecting the Child. What you're wishing for is an end point. Like a clear goal like blow up the death star. Which I dont' think they're doing. I think each season is going to have a general result and I'm guessing for this seasons is removing the bounty from the Child. Though how that happens who knows. Or maybe Favreau doesn't want that. Maybe he wants to make it like an old Samurai/Western show where the gunslinger goes town to town, solving trouble and making trouble as he goes.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Rise of Skywalker is absolutely getting hammered in reviews for lack of risk, being a rehash of Return of the Jedi... Currently 60% on Rotten Tomatoes, second lowest with The Phantom Menace being the lowest.

I haven't done a 180 on The Last Jedi, but I've watched it a few times after I said I wouldn't and there are some good parts to it. The problem is, the Rose and Finn **** is a waste of time, Holdo/Laura Dern is a terrible character that I don't care for, Rey's storyline is pretty meh. I have come to peace with how they did my boy Luke, only because Mark Hamill's performance is great. The visuals though can't tough Rogue One. Rogue One's visuals and world look sooooo much better than TLJ's.

I''m still going to see Skywalker tomorrow night, but it appears all the leaks are true.

The reason I probably don't like TLJ as much, is because The Force Awakens was such a blatant rip off of A New Hope, that I already had low expectations going into TLJ that it would be more of the same fan service nostalgia that TFA capitalized on. But it was different and a completely different movie. I understand people like it because it's different, but simply being different is not enough for me to say it's a great movie. The irony is, TLJ was hurt for being original because TFA was so obviously not original. Now Iger, Kennedy, and Abrams had to scramble after TLJ debacle to try and regain some of that TFA mojo with the fans and we're getting what appears to be Return of the Jedi remake.

Zito will support it regardless because he just hates George Lucas.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    The Mandalorian needs a over arching plot point. Some destination or goal.... right now we are just taking weekly adventures with zero sequence.
    I actually like the episodic nature so far.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Rise of Skywalker is absolutely getting hammered in reviews for lack of risk, being a rehash of Return of the Jedi... Currently 60% on Rotten Tomatoes, second lowest with The Phantom Menace being the lowest.

I haven't done a 180 on The Last Jedi, but I've watched it a few times after I said I wouldn't and there are some good parts to it. The problem is, the Rose and Finn **** is a waste of time, Holdo/Laura Dern is a terrible character that I don't care for, Rey's storyline is pretty meh. I have come to peace with how they did my boy Luke, only because Mark Hamill's performance is great. The visuals though can't tough Rogue One. Rogue One's visuals and world look sooooo much better than TLJ's.

I''m still going to see Skywalker tomorrow night, but it appears all the leaks are true.

The reason I probably don't like TLJ as much, is because The Force Awakens was such a blatant rip off of A New Hope, that I already had low expectations going into TLJ that it would be more of the same fan service nostalgia that TFA capitalized on. But it was different and a completely different movie. I understand people like it because it's different, but simply being different is not enough for me to say it's a great movie. The irony is, TLJ was hurt for being original because TFA was so obviously not original. Now Iger, Kennedy, and Abrams had to scramble after TLJ debacle to try and regain some of that TFA mojo with the fans and we're getting what appears to be Return of the Jedi remake.

Rise of Skywalker can't be worse than Phantom Menance or Solo. But if the leaks are true then it's going to be bad. That's the problem you get when one person isn't in charge of the overall story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

I'm sure it will be fine. But I have 2 fears one of which is basically confirmed. First it was that JJ will open up new unnecessary questions. SEcond was that it would be safe. Second fear is confirmed. With Rian taking the risks, he set up JJ to play a solid film. But after they fired Trevorrow I was like, they're gonna play it super safe.

I do agree with some reviews that point out the issue seems to be an absence of an overarching story. It doesn't have the Avengers where someone is overseeing everything.

Personally I'm very excited for the prospect of Rian Johnson trilogy. Giving him 3 films to tell a story is exciting for me.

BTW you say i hate Lucas and you're very wrong, I just don't think he's a great filmmaker. I think Lucas is a great world builder. He built a ton of interesting worlds. What we wasn't great at is a number of things. First, he can't write for women to save his life. Padme is ****, Leia doesn't start becoming an interesting character until ESB with Kasden and Brackett writing the Screenplay. Second is that he sometimes tends to focus on **** that doesn't matter. Often by throwing too much information for shenanigans.

Anyway to sum up kind of easy example of the issue with Lucas is this.

I also just recently watched an interview Frank Oz did with Mark Hamill, and it was enlightening to me.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    JJ gave nothing for Rian to work with after TFA because it was basically a huge remake of ANH. Rian tore down everything and gave Trevorrow nothing to work with, and now Iger/Kennedy/Abrams had to scramble and go the safe nostalgia route of ROTJ remake.

It's funny because I've beenr eading how Iger twisted JJ's arm after the horrible test screenings 2-3 months ago. Then Lucas made his own edit of EP9 that received good marks but Iger ended up going with the version HE wanted.

Disney Disney Disney.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Disney has already cancelled the Rian trilogy.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Disney has already cancelled the Rian trilogy.
    They didn't cancel it. Disney is keeping a lid on everything. Likely the issue being Kennedy. She has 2 years on her contract and I don't think Iger wants to go into another Trilogy and have a CEO change at Lucasfilm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Damn Chapter 7 of the Mandalorian. Sets up for a good Season Finale. See if they deliver on the promise. I'm guessing IG-88 or whatever the name of Taika Waititi's robot is will come into play again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Just got back. My initial gut reaction is 70/30 that it was a good movie. I have a handful of gripes but enjoyed some of the way that it handled some things. Specific thoughts on the film after the first viewings in spoiler wraps.

Spoiler: 
    There's a few things JJ did that I hated. I hated bringing Palpatine back, I hated making Rey a Palpatine. The main reason why is it cheapens the first 6 movies. It cheapens Anakin being the chosen one to bring balance and end the Sith. Guess what it doesn't matter because Palpatine was cloning himself and storing himself with "Dark Side Science" which is shenanigans. If you do bring him back. Then Ben Solo should be the one to defeat him. Not Rey because she's blood. It's a bad choice. And it is the main reason I think in my initial reflections this will be my least favorite sequel film. Perhaps subsequent viewings will change my opinion. Want to resolve this trilogy without wiping your ass with the main story plot of the first 6 episodes. Surprise, someone was pulling the strings all along. Not a Sith but a more powerful dark side user. Could use an existing character like the Son of Mortis, or **** it. Darth Plagueis has been pulling the strings all along. I still don't like it because I like the idea that the Sith died with Palpatine and Snoke/Ren were dark side warriors representing something else from the more dangerous unknown regions. Which jives with other writings about the dangers in the unknown regions that Palpatine sensed. Now it just cheapens so much of what was worked on in the OT and written works to make Palpatine seem totally omnipotent, it makes Operation Cinder seem stupid. There's a lot to hate with this main plot point. What I think this film does really well is make it into an exciting road trip type of film. I think the movie starts out going well, It's got a very Star Wars feel. It goes incredibly well. I don't like the stalled growth of Poe. He was supposed to be moving ahead as a leader in TLJ and JJ pulled him back a step for seemingly no reason. JJ took Finn on a different path, I liked part of it, I enjoyed that there was a collection of rebelling First Order troopers that were shocked out of command by the awakening in the Force. I like that. I don't understand why JJ decided to put a **** ton of space between Finn and Rose. Like it could have been a great relationship, and instead he was like let's throw it aside and kind of bring back the crush on Rey. Also I'm glad he showed Leia's lightsaber, I thought the CGI training scene faces were off putting. But I mean I guess people needed it hit over their head that Luke was training Leia. Of ****ing course he did, people need to not be so ****ing dumb. I enjoyed the general Rey arc aside from making her a Palpatine. Personally I would love her to be a force creation similar to Anakin to end a separate force crisis. I enjoyed the space battles. Second why is JJ so ****ing into making Planet Killing Weapons. You can build tension without planet killers. A fleet 10,000 times the size of the first order would be able to rule by simple dominance via orbital bombardment. Last bit I didn't enjoy, Hux. I thought Johnson set Hux up to an interesting role, JJ just hamfisted it. He hates Kylo, therefore he's gonna betray him. But why would he betray the first order, as a child of Brendol Hux, the person behind the child indoctrination used by the Empire and then the first order. It would be like Ivanka Trump blowing up the Trump empire because she doesn't like Barron Trump, just doesn't make sense. There is a better way to defeat Kylo, make him look like **** to other officers and have a officer wide mutiny. Casting him without the resources of the First Order where he now reflects on his time, Leia reaches out to him and he turns to the light side to join Rey to defeat the first order and the dark side puppet master.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Just got back. My initial gut reaction is 70/30 that it was a good movie. I have a handful of gripes but enjoyed some of the way that it handled some things. Specific thoughts on the film after the first viewings in spoiler wraps.

Spoiler: 
    There's a few things JJ did that I hated. I hated bringing Palpatine back, I hated making Rey a Palpatine. The main reason why is it cheapens the first 6 movies. It cheapens Anakin being the chosen one to bring balance and end the Sith. Guess what it doesn't matter because Palpatine was cloning himself and storing himself with "Dark Side Science" which is shenanigans. If you do bring him back. Then Ben Solo should be the one to defeat him. Not Rey because she's blood. It's a bad choice. And it is the main reason I think in my initial reflections this will be my least favorite sequel film. Perhaps subsequent viewings will change my opinion. Want to resolve this trilogy without wiping your ass with the main story plot of the first 6 episodes. Surprise, someone was pulling the strings all along. Not a Sith but a more powerful dark side user. Could use an existing character like the Son of Mortis, or **** it. Darth Plagueis has been pulling the strings all along. I still don't like it because I like the idea that the Sith died with Palpatine and Snoke/Ren were dark side warriors representing something else from the more dangerous unknown regions. Which jives with other writings about the dangers in the unknown regions that Palpatine sensed. Now it just cheapens so much of what was worked on in the OT and written works to make Palpatine seem totally omnipotent, it makes Operation Cinder seem stupid. There's a lot to hate with this main plot point. What I think this film does really well is make it into an exciting road trip type of film. I think the movie starts out going well, It's got a very Star Wars feel. It goes incredibly well. I don't like the stalled growth of Poe. He was supposed to be moving ahead as a leader in TLJ and JJ pulled him back a step for seemingly no reason. JJ took Finn on a different path, I liked part of it, I enjoyed that there was a collection of rebelling First Order troopers that were shocked out of command by the awakening in the Force. I like that. I don't understand why JJ decided to put a **** ton of space between Finn and Rose. Like it could have been a great relationship, and instead he was like let's throw it aside and kind of bring back the crush on Rey. Also I'm glad he showed Leia's lightsaber, I thought the CGI training scene faces were off putting. But I mean I guess people needed it hit over their head that Luke was training Leia. Of ****ing course he did, people need to not be so ****ing dumb. I enjoyed the general Rey arc aside from making her a Palpatine. Personally I would love her to be a force creation similar to Anakin to end a separate force crisis. I enjoyed the space battles. Second why is JJ so ****ing into making Planet Killing Weapons. You can build tension without planet killers. A fleet 10,000 times the size of the first order would be able to rule by simple dominance via orbital bombardment. Last bit I didn't enjoy, Hux. I thought Johnson set Hux up to an interesting role, JJ just hamfisted it. He hates Kylo, therefore he's gonna betray him. But why would he betray the first order, as a child of Brendol Hux, the person behind the child indoctrination used by the Empire and then the first order. It would be like Ivanka Trump blowing up the Trump empire because she doesn't like Barron Trump, just doesn't make sense. There is a better way to defeat Kylo, make him look like **** to other officers and have a officer wide mutiny. Casting him without the resources of the First Order where he now reflects on his time, Leia reaches out to him and he turns to the light side to join Rey to defeat the first order and the dark side puppet master.

Spoiler: 
    I went into the movie with very very low expectations after reading the leaks.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. This movie was ALL OVER THE PLACE but it makes no guilt about it. The pacing is so fast going from one place to the next because they were trying to shove EVERYTHING in this movie and you know what I don't even care. This movie was stupid crazy fun epic spectacle like the prequels were. The prequels would have had craziness like Palpatine's Clone Army and 500 destroyers. So ironic that Disney spent two movies ****ting on the prequels and they finally embraced the absurdity and fun adventureness of the prequels with this.

It wasn't a perfect movie beyond any means but I love how ridiculous it is.

My favorite part for sure was all the Jedi voice cameos. I kept giggling like a kid when hearing all the voices. But for some reason I damn near choked up when you could distinctly hear Qui-Gon say to her "We all stand behind you." I guess because Qui-Gon is the one who started all of this when he found Anakin. And he was also the first Force Ghost.

Ian McDarmiad and Adam Driver stole the show in this movie. Daisy is Daisy, nothing new brought from her just consistency. Palpatine was legitimately scary with his white eye balls and them only showing his face when the lightning was flashing. The Sith planet was utterly ridiculous but I love how much of a contrast it was to Atchtoo being the Jedi's home planet and so serene and peaceful. I love how angry the Sith planet was with the thunder and lightning and darkness.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My movie rankings:

Revenge
    Empire
    Rise
    Hope
    Rogue One
    Last Jedi
    Return
    Phantom
    Awakens
    Attack
    Solo
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    My wild conspiracy theory:

When Ben gives up his life force to Rey, we see his hand hovering over her womb and the camera was fixated on that area. Not only did he give up his life force to her, he impregnated her using Sith magic. The Skywalker Bloodline lives.

The Saga started with a Palpatine impregnating a Skywalker via the Force, and it ends with a Skywalker impregnating a Palpatine via the Force.

George Lucas poetry in motion.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    My wild conspiracy theory:

When Ben gives up his life force to Rey, we see his hand hovering over her womb and the camera was fixated on that area. Not only did he give up his life force to her, he impregnated her using Sith magic. The Skywalker Bloodline lives.

The Saga started with a Palpatine impregnating a Skywalker via the Force, and it ends with a Skywalker impregnating a Palpatine via the Force.

George Lucas poetry in motion.
    That is a wild conspiracy theory. But Disney did more or less say this was the end of the Skywalker saga. The last scene kind of confirms it with the burial.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    That is a wild conspiracy theory. But Disney did more or less say this was the end of the Skywalker saga. The last scene kind of confirms it with the burial.
    After Disney inexplicably "forced" Palpatine back into the Saga, my theory can't be discounted.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Also if any mother****ers complains about physics/realism in TLJ (Leia surviving and force pulling herself to safety, Bombs dropping, etc.) better rail on Rise of Skywalker for pulling a long waterlogged and should be rusted out XWing from the water and it starting for Rey. For a real life comparison. Imagine driving a car into a lake and leaving it for 14 years, then pulling it out from the lake and all the electronics work, the engine isn't needed to be replaced, etc. It's far less believable than anything done in TLJ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Also if any mother****ers complains about physics/realism in TLJ (Leia surviving and force pulling herself to safety, Bombs dropping, etc.) better rail on Rise of Skywalker for pulling a long waterlogged and should be rusted out XWing from the water and it starting for Rey. For a real life comparison. Imagine driving a car into a lake and leaving it for 14 years, then pulling it out from the lake and all the electronics work, the engine isn't needed to be replaced, etc. It's far less believable than anything done in TLJ.
    Nah, everyone just thought the leia thing was dumb as hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Nah, everyone just thought the leia thing was dumb as hell.
    Why? Why is it dumb, because you weren't expecting it? You were expecting her to die?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I mean, Luke's X-Wing was like 95% submerged in the bog of Dogoba for a while with no issues. When YOda pulled it out. To me it was all just a homage to that scene in ESB.

You're also talking about a movie universe that ships and x-wings can get damage blasted to their ships and engines, and a small little droid can just USB insert its plug into a universal input, diagnosis the issue and repair mid-flight.

People think the Leia think was dumb because she was the only one in the room not affected by the blast that destroyed the side area, then she was in space a good minute or two and survived.

Also, Sheev had all those Final Order star destroyers submerged under water for god knows how long until he decided it was time for them to rise. I swear you Last Jedi defenders are worse than us prequel defenders. By far worse than toxic MCU fanboys.
    Forever Fredi