Page 48 of 88 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Discussion Thread (Spoilers Inside)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I know that it's scifi fantasy. I want to see consistency. I want to see haters be consistent in their hate. Also the XWing's engine or electronics/cockpit weren't submerged. XWing's engines are in the rear. Also time does matter. A few days submerged vs. years.

I want consistency, It's been what I've been bitching about in the entirety of TLJ debate. People bitching about things that they wouldn't about say ESB or the ANH
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I know that it's scifi fantasy. I want to see consistency. I want to see haters be consistent in their hate. Also the XWing's engine or electronics/cockpit weren't submerged. XWing's engines are in the rear. Also time does matter. A few days submerged vs. years.

I want consistency, It's been what I've been bitching about in the entirety of TLJ debate. People bitching about things that they wouldn't about say ESB or the ANH
    Dude... the Sith Spy that killed Rey's parents, his ship hadn't been touched in 10 years in the desert. It started up like a champ. The former Rebel base in Krayt hadn't been touched in 20-30 years, and it worked fine when the Resistance arrived.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Thank you for supporting me?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Thank you for supporting me?
    I'm arguing that the movies are consistent with ships and tech being in bad conditions for years untouched and still turning on with no issue.

You're still trying to convince everyone that Leia Poppins was ok and made sense.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    I'm arguing that the movies are consistent with ships and tech being in bad conditions for years untouched and still turning on with no issue.

You're still trying to convince everyone that Leia Poppins was ok and made sense.
    Why isn't it OK, why doesn't it make sense? It's a universe that has long played it loose with physics and reality. Leia was out in space for a short duration. We witnessed luke spend hours in a subzero climate and survive in a dead carcass of a Tauntaun. Why was that OK and made sense? We saw Obi Wan's Jedi Interceptor get pulled apart by Buzz Droids, and he still pilots it safely into a hangar of an attacking ship. We see Ewoks kill armored Storm Troopers with small rocks that probably wouldn't kill a normal person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. Felt way more like a Star Wars movie than TLJ to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. Felt way more like a Star Wars movie than TLJ to me.
    I would counter you and say it's the least Star Wars and most MCU like of any Star Wars film. The more I think about the film the more annoyed I am with the direction they went because it kind of takes a dump on all 8 previous films in various ways.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I would counter you and say it's the least Star Wars and most MCU like of any Star Wars film. The more I think about the film the more annoyed I am with the direction they went because it kind of takes a dump on all 8 previous films in various ways.
    It took a dump on Ep 8 that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    It took a dump on Ep 8 that's for sure.
    Not 8, but the first 6 the most. What's the point of Anakin being the chosen one to destroy the Sith if it amounted to nothing but making Palpatine more powerful than ever to only be slain by his grandchild. Therefor the Skywalker bloodline spawned from Anakin's miracle birth means nothing in the big picture. As palpatine presumably raping someone/having casual sex with someone (which is really against his character as created in every form of Star Wars media) was ultimately his downfall, not the Skywalkers. Then it dumps on the first 2 movies of the trilogy (and Star Wars Sith/Jedi mythos as a whole) and the Star Wars novels who weaved a fantastic tale about Palpatine seeking something in the Unknown region, perhaps the origin of the Dark Side. instead now he apparently spent a lot of time out there somehow avoiding everyone in the empire including his apprentice to create from nothing Snoke with the goal to run the first order. Which is the only prayer he has of knowing the force at a master level. Or even more unbelievable is Palpatine dies and is reincarnated in some form, and then creates Snoke and somehow Snoke is instantly a master in the dark side. It's ****ty unnecessary attempts at closing off a story line. How about if instead of the villiain at the end of 9 instead of being a secret puppetmaster, how about it isn't. What if the villain is Hux and his ability to manipulate the political landscape of the first order to overthrow Kylo Ren and get the First Order back on task of taking over the Galaxy. And that leads to Ben's redemption and he dies as people wanted Luke to die taking out the first order. Given his intimate knowledge and being almost certainly the best pilot in the Galaxy like his Grandfather and as Rian showed of in TLJ with his striker almost entirely wiping out a capital ship on it's own. I can think of a number of ways the Story could have been concluded without pulling down the pants and pooping on the destiny of the Skywalkers.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Not 8, but the first 6 the most. What's the point of Anakin being the chosen one to destroy the Sith if it amounted to nothing but making Palpatine more powerful than ever to only be slain by his grandchild. Therefor the Skywalker bloodline spawned from Anakin's miracle birth means nothing in the big picture. As palpatine presumably raping someone/having casual sex with someone (which is really against his character as created in every form of Star Wars media) was ultimately his downfall, not the Skywalkers. Then it dumps on the first 2 movies of the trilogy (and Star Wars Sith/Jedi mythos as a whole) and the Star Wars novels who weaved a fantastic tale about Palpatine seeking something in the Unknown region, perhaps the origin of the Dark Side. instead now he apparently spent a lot of time out there somehow avoiding everyone in the empire including his apprentice to create from nothing Snoke with the goal to run the first order. Which is the only prayer he has of knowing the force at a master level. Or even more unbelievable is Palpatine dies and is reincarnated in some form, and then creates Snoke and somehow Snoke is instantly a master in the dark side. It's ****ty unnecessary attempts at closing off a story line. How about if instead of the villiain at the end of 9 instead of being a secret puppetmaster, how about it isn't. What if the villain is Hux and his ability to manipulate the political landscape of the first order to overthrow Kylo Ren and get the First Order back on task of taking over the Galaxy. And that leads to Ben's redemption and he dies as people wanted Luke to die taking out the first order. Given his intimate knowledge and being almost certainly the best pilot in the Galaxy like his Grandfather and as Rian showed of in TLJ with his striker almost entirely wiping out a capital ship on it's own. I can think of a number of ways the Story could have been concluded without pulling down the pants and pooping on the destiny of the Skywalkers.
    JJ had no choice after Ep8 took a dump on the first 6 first.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    JJ had no choice after Ep8 took a dump on the first 6 first.
    How did episode 8 do that? Give me a specific example of how it did that.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    How did episode 8 do that? Give me a specific example of how it did that.
    The whole there is no good and bad guys with people selling weapons to both the first order and the resistance. Way out of character with the OT. Luke acting like a bitch in almost all of his scenes on the island.

Only soy boys liked it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think Abrams deserves a lot of praise for this movie. There was plenty I did not like, but it's hard to blame Abrams for much of it. Kennedy focused far more on making this trilogy activist than she did on making it good.

There was no plan, and that became clear after Rian Johnson failed so badly at whatever it is he was trying to accomplish.

JJ got things off to a good start with TFA, Johnson drove it in the ditch with TLJ, and JJ had to spend a lot of time basically taking the story back to where TFA left off. RoS had way too much of RotJ in it, but I think Abrams saw that as a way to return the trilogy to a Star Wars feel, just like he started it. It's just really hard to express how very much Johnson and Kennedy damaged the franchise. Hopefully Disney learned their lesson and will focus on making the next batch of movies be entertaining continuations of the original trilogy in its same spirit.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Anyone defending the Canto Bight Rose and Finn cheese stuff just needs to stop. That was the biggest waste of screentime in the entire saga. I'd rather watch podracing again than that.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think Abrams deserves a lot of praise for this movie. There was plenty I did not like, but it's hard to blame Abrams for much of it. Kennedy focused far more on making this trilogy activist than she did on making it good.

There was no plan, and that became clear after Rian Johnson failed so badly at whatever it is he was trying to accomplish.

JJ got things off to a good start with TFA, Johnson drove it in the ditch with TLJ, and JJ had to spend a lot of time basically taking the story back to where TFA left off. RoS had way too much of RotJ in it, but I think Abrams saw that as a way to return the trilogy to a Star Wars feel, just like he started it. It's just really hard to express how very much Johnson and Kennedy damaged the franchise. Hopefully Disney learned their lesson and will focus on making the next batch of movies be entertaining continuations of the original trilogy in its same spirit.
    TFA was way too much like A New Hope's Greatest Hits. RoS pays homages to ROTJ, but in no way is it a blatant ripoff like TFA was of ANH.

It really boils down to this. Disney played TFA supersafe because of the anti-prequel and anti-Lucas haters. They catered that movie to be a full nostalgia trip to play nice to those fans. It didn't leave Rian much to work with. In TFA Han explains Luke went MIA. Didn't say why. So it was up to RJ to make a storyline for that.

Disney thought they'd laugh all the way to the bank after TFA, that the next 2 episodes would be money makers. Rogue One hit a billion as well. I don't fault Rian 100% because Kennedy, Iger, and Abrams played it safely for TFA, no risks. Rian took risks and pissed everyone off. So JJ, Iger, and KK had to scramble to salvage everything after he killed off Snoke, Luke, etc. Plus Fisher died in real life when TLJ came out so it was going to be difficult giving Leia a true send off.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The whole there is no good and bad guys with people selling weapons to both the first order and the resistance. Way out of character with the OT. Luke acting like a bitch in almost all of his scenes on the island.

Only soy boys liked it.
    You do realize that wasn't the point. The point was that there were good guys and bad guys. War profiteers are bad guys. How do people not get that? It was the Devil on the left shoulder of Finn after he pulled so heavily with Rose.

How was Luke acting like a Bitch. he was acting like someone who went into exile after one of his pupils destroyed his jedi academy and joined the new Empire to dominate the galaxy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Anyone defending the Canto Bight Rose and Finn cheese stuff just needs to stop. That was the biggest waste of screentime in the entire saga. I'd rather watch podracing again than that.
    You do realize the point though right? Again, it's Johnson reacting to JJ/Kasden's story choices. He acted exactly how someone with all the information he was given would have acted. How would you have handled Finn in the second film given his impossibly simplistic character build from TFA, someone who had 2 motivations get away from the first order and save Rey. Sure there could have been a different side mission, but what other means do you have to get him to stick around, aside from just Deus ex Machina.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    You do realize that wasn't the point. The point was that there were good guys and bad guys. War profiteers are bad guys. How do people not get that? It was the Devil on the left shoulder of Finn after he pulled so heavily with Rose.

How was Luke acting like a Bitch. he was acting like someone who went into exile after one of his pupils destroyed his jedi academy and joined the new Empire to dominate the galaxy.
    The same Luke who went into the belly of the beast to save his father from the dark side abandoned his newphew...like a bitch. The real Luke would have not given up on his family like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    IKennedy focused far more on making this trilogy activist than she did on making it good.f
    This is some revisionist bull****. Star Wars has always been activist. It was a bunch of men and women rebelling against the evil white male Empire. ESB introduces friendly aliens which really is hammered down in RotJ. But at it's core, star wars was about plucky idealists fighting against Space Nazis. Listen to the man himself

“It was really about the Vietnam War, and that was the period where Nixon was trying to run for a [second] term, which got me to thinking historically about how do democracies get turned into dictatorships? Because the democracies aren’t overthrown; they’re given away.”

Stop with "Dsney made star wars political" Star Wars was always political, sorry if you weren't keen eyed enough to pick out the clear imagery of the OT and Prequels.